Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish
    replied
    Re: Believe woolyworms or persimmon seeds?

A local lawn and garden dealer in our areas has the perfect solution that side steps both the wollybear and persimmon seed controvercy!

His radio ads are insisting that everyone in the area purchase a snow blower. He is sure that if enough snow blowers are bought that it guarentees that our area will have no snow this year as everyone knows once you have invested $800 in a snow blower it won't snow for many, many years and the new blower will just sit in the garage un-used!

Last year Maryland had over 70" of snow where our year average is maybe 12", sometimes in a rough winter 15".

I wonder if he might have the real solution ....

Susan

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

I gather a couple of plastic grocery bags full each fall and process them by using a potato ricer. Or at lest I think that is what it is called....big mettle cone shape, put the persimmons in and run a big wooden pin around. The pulp squeezes out and can be scraped off. We freeze the pulp and Diana uses it to make persimmon bread (uses her banana nut bread recipe) and candy. For the candy she takes the pulp, mixes it with pecans, small marshmellows and graham crackers. You can put it in the freezer and take out a spoon full or two whenever you want it (very often for me).

Leave a comment:

• sashadoc
    replied

Paul,
    I lived outside of Mountain Home for a while and can remember, during deer season, coming across a Persimmon tree in the woods. They make a mighty fine snack while hunting. Taste better out there too.
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

Thanks, Paul, for bringing back fond memories. Some years ago my dad had a persimmon tree that was loaded with fruit in the fall. Not wanting to waste anything, he asked me to help strip all of them from the tree - dozens of ripe persimmons. Then my wife and I had to take at least a grocery bag full! Fortunately she had a recipe for steamed persimmon pudding. Delicious!
    We also had experiences with woolybears at my son's place in Pennsylvania.

Leave a comment:

• santagibbs
    replied

I only ate one in my lifetime . I was a child and some smart little kid told me how good they were.. It felt like my mouth had shrunk up to half it's size..That was enough for me..Charlotte

Leave a comment:

• Ashbys
    replied

Paul ,

Nothing like persimmon pudding, well maybe gooseberry pie. But the pudding has always been something worth waiting for each year!

Garry

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

Goody, some folks around here call them woolybears.

I guess I am a very slow learner or it's just that I love those persimmons too **** much. Every year I watch them turn color, start to drop on the ground and finally I can't stand it. Only takes a few for me to relearn the hazards of a persimmon lover. They are ripe here long before frost, in fact, most of ours are gone by "frost".

You just have to kinda guess, and risk the consequences, of eating only the dropped ones and then only the "mushy" ones. Lots of folks also object to the good ones picking up a lot of debris as they fall and.....well, other things. They do grow in the pastures you know.

I had a Rottweiler that was very fond of these golden fruits but was real particular about the ones he ate. We raced to the trees each morning with him having the advantage of 4 on the floor and getting there before me. Left me to try and figure out which ones he had licked in his search for the best. I had to accept that the mushy ones were damp because of persimmon pulp.........!

Oh well, to me, the hazards and peculiarities are worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Goody
    replied

Anna Calls them woolybears she says the ones around here have a blads and red in the middle. the length of the black determines the start and end of the winter. I caught her out side poking them the other day. The only thing I know about persimmons is DON'T EAT THEM before the first frost', they will curl your toung up big time. Guess how I know!
    Goody

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    started a topic Believe woolyworms or persimmon seeds?

Believe woolyworms or persimmon seeds?

My Frien's here in the Ozarks there is definite disagreement between the woolyworms and persimmon seeds.

The woolyworms have a large "orange" band and are predicting a fairly mild winter.

Around these parts folks tend to rely more on persimmon seeds. I split open several from several different trees and all are in agreement...........spoons! For the uninitiated spoons mean a winter with deep snows, a knife means a very rough winter with temps that will cut through like a knife while the fork means a fairly mild winter with snows that won't stay on a fork.

If you want to check one of these out.....might want to start with the woolyworms. Touch them and they just roll up in a ball and let you inspect at leisure.

Woodcarvers are OK with persimmon seeds, if they take the usual precautions of a sharp knife and a carving glove. The start of the procedure is very enjoyable...pick up one from the ground (the ones on the tree are questionable and if still green....well you won't even be able to whistle for a while) and pop it in your mouth. They are especially sweet and abundant this year. Spitting out the seed requires not paying a lot of attention to good manners. They are slick and are difficult to spit out. I just lean over and half spit and half drool........well that gives you enough information along that line.

I keep a little bag for bringing my weather predictors home. Washing them does not reduce the slickiness very much so it requires a sharp knife and a carving glove. But, hey, weather predicting has never been easy has it? I have attached a photo that you may have to save and blow up some but the spoons are there.

Here in the Ozarks we are taking precautions, laying in lots of firewood, and such. Well, some of us anyway.....me I prefer to get the hell out. Got reservations for a campground in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Working...
X