X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article discussion thread:Celtic Spoon Patterns

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Celtic Spoon Patterns

Re: Article discussion thread:Celtic Spoon Patterns

I have never seen any of these carved spoons until just recently and then only pictures. How
    do you determine if it is a love spoon or a celtic spoon. I would like to try my hand at
    making one. Thank you. Sterling

Comment

I'd say just in the style. Traditional love spoons that I've seen typically lack the intricate knotwork of the celtic style. That being said, the area is so wide open to intreptation that you can carve in just about any style and call it a love spoon. I've carved a few spoons. They are a relaxing, fun project.

Have fun!
      Dan

Comment

Thanks, Dan, for your reply. I saw a three-strand celtic knot on another project in the
        Christmas magazine that I will try to use it in the handle of a spoon and see how it works
        out.
        Have a good day.
        Sterling

Comment

Thanks Dan, I've had to order a Celtic lovespoons carving book, I really like your work.

Keli

Comment

Sterling, I'm not really an authority on the subject, but I do make lovespoons, and if I were to venture a guess, it would be this: a decorative spoon that's not really a lovespoon is just decorated, but wasn't intended to convey a particular message. While Celtic knotwork alone could be used to convey a message, perhaps it wasn't intended that way in this one. I'd guess that most lovespoon carvers would tell you that the intent to convey a message is part of what defines a lovespoon.
            My understanding from a lot of reading, and talking with other lovespoon carvers has been that there are two main rules (other than, that it should, in fact, be a spoon) that define a Welsh lovespoon:
            1) it's carved from a single piece of wood, and
            2) It must convey a personal message from the giver to the recipient.
            So, it's intrinsic to the tradition that it's extremely open to creativity, and being unique and personal.
            P.S. My apologies to Dave if this was explained, and I'm just not remembering it!

Comment

There was a chart i got on love spoons that showed what each symbol meant. A heart wood be for love a knot for unity etc. I would have to look and see what book i got the meanings from. People could order spoons to send a message to convey what they wish to say.

Comment

Thank you for the good replies to my question. I have now done two spoons, each out of one piece of wood. The first, made in pine has the celtic knot mentioned in my post above. But to correct myself it is four strand and not three.
                I cut it out of a piece of 2X4 I had in my garage. The other is cut from a cut-off
                of solid cherry flooring. I put a clear finish on both and the grain in the bowl of the
                cherry spoon looks shows up very nicely. I carved the bowls with the circular blade in an xacto knife.
                Ray

Comment

Working...
                X