WCI Holiday 2010 (Issue #53)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCI Holiday 2010 (Issue #53)

I've received a few fox sightings, so I guess it's time to kick off the official thread....

The holiday issue is in the mail! If you haven't received it yet, it should be arriving shortly.

I'm especially interested in feedback on the Design Contest results.

Tom Hindes was at our Artistry in Wood booth teaching folks the 15-minute Santa. I hope you all give this project a try. If new woodcarvers find this article as inspiring as Tom's 5-minute wizard then we have a winner for sure.

I love the stackable snowman project - such a fun and flexible project! Send us photos if you make one.

I'd love to hear what you think - what did you like, what didn't you like? This kind of feedback really helps us shape future issues so be sure to speak up!

Re: WCI Holiday 2010 (Issue #53)

Hi Shannon,

I just got my copy yesterday... still going through it. I was very impressed with the variety of entries in the contest. I don't envy the judges for that job! The Chris Hammock and Dave Francis articles were great! Also glad to see our own Millard
    Harrell in there... I have been after him to do a video on his Santas for us like Gene. The Santa tree and the Arizona Stick Santa look like a lot of fun... got to try them. Thanks for another excellent edition!

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred, thanks for the nice words about my article. Isn't woodcarving just the greatest thing!!!! I've been very honored to have been featured a few times this year in WI, great magazine.

Comment

Yes sir.. you are correct it is great... and what helps make it that way are great carvers like yourself that willingly help and share their knowledge with the rest of us... but isn't that the way this community seems to be about and why we flock together. Thank you sir for what you do...

Carve on...

Comment

Got mine today, plan on an extensive reading this evening while i'm sitting in my hunting stand.
          Carl

Comment

Hi Shannon, I know you told us when and where to get the Holiday Issue Mag. but I forgot, sorry. Do or can we order from you and did I. Ha,Ha. If I can order from you put me on the list please. Thank You. Merle

Comment

Got mine, looks good! Thank you!

Dave

Comment

A lot of good articles in this one. It would be interesting to see how many votes each of the entries in the online contest received.

Comment

Got mine a few days ago and it was the first issue of my subscription. It being only the second issue of WCI that I have ever read, I just can't imagine one with more projects that a beginner could attempt.

I've already started carving a braided-beard Santa which, realistically, may be a little over my head at this point. It may cost a few trees to get right, but I'm not giving up.

Comment

Shannon: I have no intention of throwing cold water on what I have been reading so far on this thread, but I do think it is time for WCI to take a look at the longer view of where this magazine is headed.
                    I have every issue from and including issue number 1. If you will look back at some of those first issues you will notice a real difference in the type of content.
                    First-- You will notice that there were some quite advanced projects in those early issues. They were very often more advanced than beginners would want to attempt but there were projects to aspire to for the future and that is why we saved all of our WCI magazines.
                    Second-- While many of us may have been pretty green as carvers when issue #1 first showed up on the news stands, we have now been carving for a number of years and would like to think that we have advanced a good degree. The magazine on the other hand seems to be headed more and more in the direction of the rank novice carver and has less and less for the old timers. When I see the great number of new people showing up just about every day on this site it is obvious that there is a definite market for a beginners magazine. The only concern I have is that we do not have the challenge that the rest of us need. This magazine has more or less become the American carvers bible for those who do not have a club or Woodcraft Store close by to hang out at and to get information.
                    Last-- Yesterday at one of our weekly carving sessions the subject of WCI came up and for the first time I heard negative comments about the content of the last couple of issues. Terms like "Fluff", "Trinkets" etc. were used to discribe it's content. This criticism may be unwaranted but there is a group of us old guys who would like to see some more real meat in future issues.

Respectfully: Dick

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Dick. We do have a matrix that we use when planning each issue, and "advanced" is included on that matrix. In the Holiday Issue, the Mirror Frame by Chris Pye was one of the "advanced" articles...well beyond the abilities of many carvers.

But perhaps, I'm misunderstanding what you consider advanced. Can you give me some specific examples of projects you'd like to see?

Thanks again.

Best regards,
                      Bob Duncan
                      Technical Editor

Comment

Now you have done it! When push comes to shove and I have to get specific about what it is that I would like to see in the magazine it becomes a bit tougher.
                        I guess one of the most important things that stand out in the first class carvings that are shown is Detail. On page 19 the wagon wheel relief is in my view outstanding. It is the accuracy of the detail and texture that sets it apart.
                        On page 4 David Boone's Santa is a good example of what makes this Santa something special. It is the fine detail and in this particular case the complexity of all of that detail.
                        Chris Hammack's court scene is wonderful to look at but what I want to know is "How does he come up with all of the minor detail that makes this so special"? The shading, all of the wrinkles and small if not minor details.
                        Susan Hendrix did a great job on her two Santa Heads. The eyes and all of the movement in the beard are details that can be used in many other carvings not just in Santas.
                        Anyone who has ever seen Dave Stetson's Old Couple on a Park Bench feeding the birds, knows that he is a real master carver. What he portrays is something real and beautiful. It is a large piece and a true work of art. Why can't we get Dave to do a serious large human piece that would challange all of us. It dosn't have to be a naked girl but that too would be nice. What he captured in that old couple was wonderful.
                        I would love to see something by Fred Zavadil (sp.) on doing all of the fine drapery of clothing with all of the wrinkles that he does so well.
                        Dick

Comment

I appreciate the ideas, Dick. Those are the sorts of things we do consider advanced techniques. We've found that it's difficult to cover an advanced project in the traditional step-by-step manner that we treat the beginner and intermediate projects. The Chris Pye article is one of the few that we could break down into a full how-to article. Part of the problem is that to do a full how-to on a project like David Boone's, could be the subject of a book. There's no way we could cover all of that in a 6 page article. We seldom go over 6 pages for an article because we do only publish a quarterly magazine, and it's difficult to give that much space to an article that someone may or may not like.

So...if I understand correctly, you like the inspirational articles like Chris Hammack, but you want more information on how he adds the details. Would you have rather had that information than the how-to on the bottlestopper?

Again...I appreciate your feedback. I'm only kicking back so I can make sure I understand totally!

Bob

Comment

No Bob that is not what I am saying. I would rather see the Chris Pye project left out as I think this is more of a woodworking project and not a carvers project. I doubt that there will be all that many that will do the Sconce and there will be quite a number who will try the Cowboy Bottle Stopper.

Dick

Comment

When I went to the carving club they asked if I had received my issue at that time I had not they said one carving was made for me and that was the Arizona Stick Santa .When my wife went through it she said heres your style of carving and showed me Dick Hamack's Bottle Stopper. Me I liked them all except the Mirror. The girls at the library treat me exceptionally well so I will be doing the hedgehog ornament for there kids. No complaints from me

Comment

Working...
                              X