Calling all Young Carvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all Young Carvers

I'm 27 and have been carving 3 years. Pretty obsessed with it and try to carve as much as I can between having 2 jobs and other hobbies as well. A little intimidated by Lynn Doughty calling us out haha.

Comment

I was only trying to add a little humor to the thread but I guess it's lost on those younger ones. In all truth I think we should be encouraging prospective carvers no matter what their age might be. When faced with a choice between encouraging one 40 or under or one 40 or older I honestly think I would lean toward the more elderly as they will have most of the many distractions of youth behind them and be more willing to concentrate. As the saying goes....we've been there and we've done that so now we have the time to do this. Just remember....if it wasn't for us old timers you young whippersnappers wouldn't even be here!

With that I'll go back to my recliner and bottle of Geritol!

Comment

Yeper Lynn, you are so right! No matter what the age, new wood carvers are welcomed. The older one gets the more settled down they get and stays with carving or if you ill, sticks to it. So soon the young forgets the old. LOL

Comment

Curtis, once you get to know Lynn, it becomes a little easier to tell when he's joking. I personally got a good laugh out of his post. Which reminded me of something that I sometimes forget, which is that if you're not having fun, there's no point in doing it.

So thank you Lynn, and everyone else for all the things that I've learned the easy way.

Dylan

Comment

I was only joking as well.

Comment

I think the thread is nice, but sure its not an age thing. When we are at the shop we are all kids playing with our favorite toys, regardless of what ever our jobs and families responsibilities are... I enjoy a lot more a full day at the shop with my carver buddies who are older than my parents than an afternoon with my peers who are my same age. We just share the same passion.

Comment

Dylan,

You have done a fine thing here uniting the young and the old, or I could say all of us and Lynn.LOL If it comes down to a whittle off I'm hanging up my knife now. Dylan I have seen your work and that of Lynn's and I don't think I could keep up with either of you. You young folks just keep on keepin on and do all that you can to encourage other young folks to join in the fun. Jvera said it well, we all become one when we sit down with that piece of wood and our tools. Have really enjoyed following this thread. Lynn as Dylan said, I always appreciate your humor.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

I'll be 41 this year and started carving at 24. I am looking forward to many more years of whittling away. Shawn

Comment

I think we should encourage Youngin's as much as possible. I don't believe that Woodcarving is a dying art and I don't think that the hobbies sucess depends on kids or youth. It depends on the 30 and up. While it is great that some kids are able to start carving at a young age the majority of our clubs newcombers are 40 and up. They don't have all the interests that a young kid 18 -25 has and also probably most have the kids to the age that they can enjoy some carving time and they can financially afford it. Let's face it... it can be expensive like any other hobby and kids tend to be attracted to the "Cooler" hobbies like Radio Control cars etc. Our club has attemped to attract "youngins" but i don't believe that will ever be a good source for new carvers. 40 plus is definitely our audience and many don't start until after they retire. There is a reason why many woodcarving clubs hold their meetings in senior centers . We just have to replace those old whittlers that we lose every year. Our club primarily does our show to attract new carvers even though many years it's not a money making venture. Just my 2 cents.

Corey

Comment

21 now, started carving 5 years ago just after my 16th birthday, wish I had more time to devote to my carving and turning but I've been too busy with life. Younger brother also carves he will be 18 this summer.
                      Carl

Comment

Dylan,

I have another one for you to add, if he qualifies. He is not a member,but I have posted some of his carvings. My son Jacob at 19, carves fishing lures from time to time. Plus he is in the process of making me a couple of more carving knifes.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

I'm 39, and I started carving late in 2009. I introduced two of my friends to the hobby this year.I'm not sure on their ages, but I think they're both in their 30's.

Comment

made thecutoff by a couple of yrs.lol, not to many..

Comment

I'm a grandma,53, but my two youngest grandkids spent Sunday with us. I was carving in the kitchen,they wanted to carve, so I had both sit in their own chair, each with their own piece of found wood and let them whittle. I didn't get a lot done, but we all enjoyed ourselves. My grand daughter is 10 and my youngest grandson is 8. My granddaughter helps me sand spoons when ever she's over. She always asks if I need any sanding done.Their dad, my son who also carves a bit, got them pocket knives. My 15yr old grandson (my daughters son, she carves a little too) has carved a little also. Not sure if my step grandson whittles or not. I think it's great that they show an interest. I've always done some kind of art project with since they were all real little. Besides having fun, it's a good way to let them vent if they seem like somethings bothering them. I think they trust me pretty well and know I'm always there for them. ...
                              My ETSY shop:
                              https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I'm 28 - I started carving soapstone at 17 and gave up both wood and soapstone at 18 when I nearly lost my finger (buck knife, hard wood, against the grain). Staretd up again about two weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X