Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all Young Carvers

33 - Canada
    Brand spankin' new to carving but I've been reading WCI for 2+ years and have been sitting on my grandfather's carving tools for 2+ years. I thought it was about time I stopped sitting and started carving. It's going extremely slow but I'm pretty sure it will go faster and better once I figure out how to sharpen everything properly. (How does a 5 minute project take me 5 hours?!)

Comment

30 year old here about to be 31!! My interest for carving started in 2008 when at my job they started to carry WCI. I was intrigued and amazed of the things people made out of wood with a knife!! Thats when I purchase my beginners carving kit and 4 basswood eggs from Little Shavers!! Back then carved a couple of Santa heads and then stop because too busy at work and life. Recently I started back again and did a old man out off block of wood!!! I also wish there were more carvers around my age. Everyone I talk to tell me, "How much that is going to make you?" I tell them I am not in it for the money. I am in it for the gratification and feeling of achievement that I feel when I see carving I did with my hands!!! Thanks Dylan for starting this thread!!

Comment

I wish I was under 40.

Comment

still young at 52, dont you dare call me old......
          Buffalo Bif
          www.bflobif.com

Comment

I was 40 once!!

Comment

Ooooo ... not fair! I think - just turned 51 going on 2 - should count and have some merit! The saying 'act your age' never held a teaspoon of water with me.
              Just started carving before Christmas, so very young and trying to learn more every day that I can.
              Chance

Comment

55 here. Our club has a span from 10-78. Male/female is close, we all learn from each other. Our best member drive comes during our county fair. I think when they see it being carved in front of there eyes, it helps them decide that this is something they could do and enjoy. That with a knife, or a few gouges they could do this also. We have to show them the right way, get them going if you will. Also burning and power carving. Yes, it does cost a bit to get going, but so does everything. The biggy is when I tell them that you get out of this, what you put into this. That separates the tire kickers.
                Carve On,
                Kadiddle

Comment

44 here and I consider myself a younger carver. Course I would love to see younger folks getting into the craft as it is something I never want to see just disappear.

Comment

Well, I am not young, 47 when i started carving. but I do have a 6 year old grandson and an 8 year old grandson that i have started teaching the little I Know. I just took a two day beginner carving class at the Texas woodcarver guild roundup in New Braunfels and should be able to teach them to carve much better bow.

Comment

Working...
                    X