X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TexasSteve
    replied
    Re: Calling all Young Carvers

Well, I am not young, 47 when i started carving. but I do have a 6 year old grandson and an 8 year old grandson that i have started teaching the little I Know. I just took a two day beginner carving class at the Texas woodcarver guild roundup in New Braunfels and should be able to teach them to carve much better bow.

Leave a comment:

• Sean R
    replied

44 here and I consider myself a younger carver. Course I would love to see younger folks getting into the craft as it is something I never want to see just disappear.

Leave a comment:

• Kadiddle
    replied

55 here. Our club has a span from 10-78. Male/female is close, we all learn from each other. Our best member drive comes during our county fair. I think when they see it being carved in front of there eyes, it helps them decide that this is something they could do and enjoy. That with a knife, or a few gouges they could do this also. We have to show them the right way, get them going if you will. Also burning and power carving. Yes, it does cost a bit to get going, but so does everything. The biggy is when I tell them that you get out of this, what you put into this. That separates the tire kickers.
    Carve On,
    Kadiddle

Leave a comment:

• kimschance
    replied

Ooooo ... not fair! I think - just turned 51 going on 2 - should count and have some merit! The saying 'act your age' never held a teaspoon of water with me.
    Just started carving before Christmas, so very young and trying to learn more every day that I can.
    Chance

Leave a comment:

• Magicman
    replied

I was 40 once!!

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    replied

still young at 52, dont you dare call me old......

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied

I wish I was under 40.

Leave a comment:

• patriclop2pl
    replied

30 year old here about to be 31!! My interest for carving started in 2008 when at my job they started to carry WCI. I was intrigued and amazed of the things people made out of wood with a knife!! Thats when I purchase my beginners carving kit and 4 basswood eggs from Little Shavers!! Back then carved a couple of Santa heads and then stop because too busy at work and life. Recently I started back again and did a old man out off block of wood!!! I also wish there were more carvers around my age. Everyone I talk to tell me, "How much that is going to make you?" I tell them I am not in it for the money. I am in it for the gratification and feeling of achievement that I feel when I see carving I did with my hands!!! Thanks Dylan for starting this thread!!

Leave a comment:

• Hohenems
    replied

33 - Canada
    Brand spankin' new to carving but I've been reading WCI for 2+ years and have been sitting on my grandfather's carving tools for 2+ years. I thought it was about time I stopped sitting and started carving. It's going extremely slow but I'm pretty sure it will go faster and better once I figure out how to sharpen everything properly. (How does a 5 minute project take me 5 hours?!)

Leave a comment:

• Howie
    replied

I'm 28 - I started carving soapstone at 17 and gave up both wood and soapstone at 18 when I nearly lost my finger (buck knife, hard wood, against the grain). Staretd up again about two weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

I'm a grandma,53, but my two youngest grandkids spent Sunday with us. I was carving in the kitchen,they wanted to carve, so I had both sit in their own chair, each with their own piece of found wood and let them whittle. I didn't get a lot done, but we all enjoyed ourselves. My grand daughter is 10 and my youngest grandson is 8. My granddaughter helps me sand spoons when ever she's over. She always asks if I need any sanding done.Their dad, my son who also carves a bit, got them pocket knives. My 15yr old grandson (my daughters son, she carves a little too) has carved a little also. Not sure if my step grandson whittles or not. I think it's great that they show an interest. I've always done some kind of art project with since they were all real little. Besides having fun, it's a good way to let them vent if they seem like somethings bothering them. I think they trust me pretty well and know I'm always there for them. ...

Leave a comment:

• buffymaynard
    replied

made thecutoff by a couple of yrs.lol, not to many..

Leave a comment:

• brianrickman
    replied

I'm 39, and I started carving late in 2009. I introduced two of my friends to the hobby this year.I'm not sure on their ages, but I think they're both in their 30's.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Dellinger
    replied

Dylan,

I have another one for you to add, if he qualifies. He is not a member,but I have posted some of his carvings. My son Jacob at 19, carves fishing lures from time to time. Plus he is in the process of making me a couple of more carving knifes.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied

21 now, started carving 5 years ago just after my 16th birthday, wish I had more time to devote to my carving and turning but I've been too busy with life. Younger brother also carves he will be 18 this summer.
    Carl

Leave a comment:

Working...
X