"Hi-yo, Silver, away!"!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hi-yo, Silver, away!"!!!!

Anyone intersted in those thrilling days of yesteryear??? I was perusing through this past month's AARP newsletter magazine and ran across an article on free audiobooks. But when I checked it out I found a heck of a lot more than just books. I found a gold mine in Old Time Radio Shows. This is particularly interesting to me as my wife and I don't have a television up at our place in the mountains and we listen to old time radio shows on tape and cd's for entertainment. Up until now we've spent a fortune buying them from Radio Spirits at $29.00 to $39.00 depending on the amount of shows in a set which range from 12-20. Looking on http://www.archive.org/ I found literally thousands of radio shows free for downloading from the late 30's to the early 60's for Johnny Dollar, The Lone Ranger, The Great Gildersleeves, Our Miss Brooks, The Life of Riley, Gunsmoke, and Dragnet just to name a few. In all fairness to Radio Spirits the quality isn't as great as they haven't been fully restored but from those I've sampled I've found none that weren' worth listening too. In fact, it reminded me a little of sitting next to the radio when I was a kid and getting the occasional static and backgound noise.... Most links have a download and a streaming function in case all you want to do is listen.

Re: "Hi-yo, Silver, away!"!!!!

Awesome link Eddy! I love old time radio. Here's another link you might find useful.
    Terry

Comment

Whats AARP? - just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by kdispoto View Post
        Whats AARP? - just kidding

I'm going to hit the big 60 this year and I've been feeling kinda oldish... Then, I went to my first woodcarving show a week ago, the Wood Carvers Roundup in Evart Michigan. Kinda felt like a youngster walking around there.
        Terry

Comment

Awesome link Eddy! Hey Terry, did you run into a John Williams, he was teaching at the Evart Roundup. He is a good friend of mine and a great carver, I have learned so much from John. Hope you had a great time at the roundup!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
            Awesome link Eddy! Hey Terry, did you run into a John Williams, he was teaching at the Evart Roundup. He is a good friend of mine and a great carver, I have learned so much from John. Hope you had a great time at the roundup!

Dave
            Dave, this was my first carving show and I pretty much was a babe in the woods there. I recognized Steve Brown and Floyed Rhadigan and bought some knives from John Dunkle. John also reprofiled a V tool for me. But other than that, I did not know any of the other instructors or vendors. I did meet Tom Hindes and that was a treat!

Next year, hopefully, I will be able to spend more time there and maybe actually do some carving.
            Terry

Comment

OK folks here's yet another one that I've been listening to off and on for a few months.. Brings back some fond memories of an extended family sitting around a wooden console way bigger than I was, and listening to The Shadow amongst others.
              RadioLovers.com - Old Time Radio Shows
              It has a pretty good archive too. Good Times!

L.P.

Comment

Not like sitting around the radio; but is in the same vein. Diana and I are fond of musicals and recently found that many of the musicals from the 40's and 50's are available through Netflix. Recently we watched "The Harvey Girls" with Judy Garland who had to be in her late 20's or so. But the interesting thing to us was the role of a saloon madam played by 18 year old Angela Landsbury. Not quite that far back but something to be seen by today's youngsters is "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin singing! Ah, the good old days.

Comment

Thanks Terry. It looks like thay change their offering so I'll keep checking back in.

Comment

L.P... That's the web Site that I've been living off for the last couple of years and I agree it's a great site. But this Archive site beats its hands down. I've been on it for a week now checking for the shows that we're interested in and with the exception of just one or two I've yet to find an old radio show that wasn't represented with at least a 100 offerings.

Comment

Paul.. My wife and I like the old musicals also only we don't subscribe to Netflix. But what I have done is download the different clips from You Tube for all of the musicals that we're interested in. We may not get to see the entire story but at least we get to enjoy the music. We fill in the rest from memory! The quality isn't quite what it would be from a CD or perhaps a DVD but then I can only hear out of one ear anyway so stereo and HiFi for me is a waste!

Comment

Working...
                      X