Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about selling on Ebay

Hi folks,

From the threads I've read, it sounds like there are some experienced ebay sellers on this board. I've been a buyer for a while. I just bought a big batch of magazines to get a couple I wanted and I'm thinking of selling off some of the rest. I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble as a seller on ebay. I'm concerned about giving them my bank information or information about my bills to get verified. Anybody have any negative consequences from doing either of those?

thanks,
    mikeg
    Mike B

Re: Question about selling on Ebay

I have been selling on Ebay off and on for over five years, andknock on wood (a carving joke). I have never had a problem. I opened a small checking account just for ebay and I never keep more than $100.00 in it. That's mainly if I see something I must have. Most of my dealings are thru Paypal, if you are going to sell on Ebay Paypal is a must.

Comment

Steve is right on there.....open a small checking account just for ebay....our bank knew all about it, and no problem at all...you definitely do not want your personal account on there! I started with 50.00, I am not as rich as Steve LOL, and we just started trying to sell, I put in a walking stick and no response, I now have a copy of my pueblo print and a santa and so far no response there either, not sure what the secret is? You need to pay special attention to the wording in the listing heading, as those are key words that people can find your item by...I think we did that pretty well, look at ours maybe you will get an idea...7343575250 and 8212149926 remember, everything you do there costs you a little bit, but the little bits mount up! We had problems putting in a picture but am sure that was the ebay site, seems ok now. let us know what you do ........and put up! Dave
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I believe Paypal and ebay are very safe. The worst possibility on ebay is that someone won't follow through on a sale, more frustration than anything, and rare (rely on feedback). With paypal, just be careful responding to emails from them. There is a whole army of people trying to tell you there's a problem with your account and you need to re-enter your account information, then they hack it and empty your account or buy with it. They look official. Paypal will never ask you to re-enter your account info through an email. If you're not sucked in to one of these scams you have nothing to worry about. Paypal is safe!
        Wade

Comment

That's a great idea about setting up a small checking account. Maybe I'll have my wife do one today since she works at the bank. I just wish they'd give her a discount on the money!

Dave,

You're right, I search on keywords a lot in ebay. But the description is also critical. Having seen WCI #1 go for $40+ on ebay, I was shocked to get not one but two copies for $27 along with a WHOLE bunch of other issues, and a few books, including two I'd lost on in other auctions. All because the seller described it as simply a huge lot of carving magazines. That's why I want to set up to sell on ebay, I've got many of these magazines already.

mikeg
          Mike B

Comment

Mikeg:

Don't forget to give us a shot at your auctions, I have a few holes in my collection

Comment

I don't know how I ever survived without paypay...makes doing business very easy, especially overseas. Like somebody mentioned, just beware of the fake emails.

Comment

well I just checked my ebay and I have a bid on the santa...so I guess we listed that one right, not sure about the pueblo, but I think ebay is a learning process.....unfortunately it costs you a few bucks each time (that is if you don't get carried away on the listing ) I can't believe you got all those mags for 27.00 that was enough for me a second set ha ha...just what I need, haven't read all these yet . Let us know what you put up. I have a boatload of woodworking magazines and they seem popular, I should put them up, they just keep growing (the stack) ha ha....

Comment

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
                  Steve is right on there.....open a small checking account just for ebay....our bank knew all about it, and no problem at all...you definitely do not want your personal account on there! I started with 50.00, I am not as rich as Steve LOL, and we just started trying to sell, I put in a walking stick and no response, I now have a copy of my pueblo print and a santa and so far no response there either, not sure what the secret is?
                  The following is just my ebay $0.02 worth:

Here are my ebay tips for Santa Claus Selling, the important things are:

Title, Description, Price, Category

I looked at your santa auction it is listed in:

Listed in category: Crafts > Woodworking > Carving
                  Also listed in: Art > Sculpture, Carvings

These categories are ok, however if you search for "Carved Santa" (which is what your potential customers will search for) you will find there is another category hidden way down deep in the anals of ebay:

Listed in category: Collectibles > Holiday, Seasonal > Christmas: Current (1991-Now) > Santa Figures > Wooden

This is where you will find most of the carved santas for sale. Currently there are 153 of them. If you are going to sell something on ebay search for it on ebay first and see where the best listing place is.

A $20 starting bid is ok but there are some who will not bid on it or they may snipe it at the end of the auction for just $20. Try to set your price low enough that it is a bargain but high enough to cover expenses.

For example you a recent santa I sold started at 9.99 with a reserve of $45. Here is the bidders list:

patriot02cruiser US $45.00 Aug-14-05 14:31:20 PDT
                  plf1952 US $30.00 Aug-14-05 12:43:13 PDT
                  heise3too US $26.00 Aug-13-05 10:31:16 PDT
                  pattarn US $25.00 Aug-12-05 09:24:33 PDT
                  rlawrn US $24.51 Aug-12-05 12:39:24 PDT
                  rlawrn US $22.01 Aug-12-05 12:38:55 PDT
                  3waterdogs US $15.00 Aug-08-05 18:34:06 PDT
                  sparkleplentys US $12.99 Aug-08-05 13:03:53 PDT

On the first or second day the bids were only to $15 yet over the last 3 days of the auction they price went up to $45. If you can get multiple people to bid you will have a higher overall sale price. That is why you see people putting $30 carvings on ebay for $0.99

Comment

Dave,

When my wife came home yesterday and saw the stack of magazines, she suggested that it may be time for me to get rid of some of them. I told her I'd get rid of the duplicates as well as some of my non-carving ones. I suppose the fact that I have 4 six foot bookcases of books as well may have something to do with that.

Tomorrow my son and I are off to the one carving show in Vermont!

mikeg
                    Mike B

Comment

Wade lol dont get me goingon feedbacks ok.....I use paypal and I have not had any problem as of yet. As for selling make sure to as honest about your produt as you can be. I would not everything down to the littlest tare on a page. Some buyers will us any excuse to get out of a purchase. age for a mag shouldn't be hard to figure.....check out flat rate packages offered by USPS.... link below

www.usps.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg
                        Dave,

When my wife came home yesterday and saw the stack of magazines, she suggested that it may be time for me to get rid of some of them. I told her I'd get rid of the duplicates as well as some of my non-carving ones. I suppose the fact that I have 4 six foot bookcases of books as well may have something to do with that.

Tomorrow my son and I are off to the one carving show in Vermont!

mikeg

HA HA ..off to see the wizard...to but more books and magazines ROFLOL ha ha

Comment

Kaiserb....thanks for the information...guess I am still not quite clear on the headings? I know what you are saying is right, but have to get it logged somewhere topside lol. I agree looking at categories similar to what I want to sell is the way to go, but sometimes is hard to sit here and think of thenames of some of the categories....and at the same time try to imagine what others will type in, in their search?? duh, maybe i shudda razed goats huh? lol

Comment

search your product and then use the categories they have used.

Comment

Mike, the charges that you will incure on ebay will soon take the shine off your sales if your not careful. Ebay charges to List, Sell, Pay Pal then charges you for payment, and if your Canadian, they make money on the exchange, and then Pay Pal charges you to transfer your money to your bank account. Sometimes EBay makes more than you do on sales. To agree with all the posts made, RESEARCH your product, and when you check on a persons feedback , really dig around through their sales and purchases. There is a lot of good information. That might sound nosey, but I found a bunch of peoples names and addresses that had been bidding on an object similar to the one I was selling, and notified them through ebay(20), that I had one on ebay for sale. It worked really well.

Comment

Working...
                              X