Signing Rocks, Or Granite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Rocks, Or Granite

Well another question. I am going to make paper weights, and key chain fobs, out of Red Granite, polish them with a tumbler hopefully, and then sign them with a logo and my name. I''m hoping someone on the site is familiar with working with stone and can tell me how to neatly do this. Question

Re: Signing Rocks, Or Granite

Hugh,
    A small sandblaster or bead blaster would sure do the trick! There is also etching acid you can buy at craft stores that would probably work fine after polishing the stones. When my kids were little we took glass scraps the size of christmas cards, put contact paper over it, traced a picture and message onto the contact paper, cut out the pattern with xacto knives, removed the scraps and used etching fluid on them. In a minute or so, you wash the fluid off, remove all the contact paper, dry it and you have one of the prettiest personalized Christmas gifts or decorations. Our Kids loved them! Everyone we sent them to loved them!
    I'll bet it would work on polished stone.
    Wade

Comment

Not sure but think you picked one of the hardest rocks to do that with! Now if it was jadestone or maybe even alabaster, I have carved one jadestone....but don't think I could help on granite!
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Well the sand blaster sounds good. I have an attachment for my air compressor that supposed to be a sand blaster, It will be worth the try. Also might look around for etching fluid. Cheers

Comment

If you have a sand blaster, you're laughing. You can achieve all kinds of wonders on stone with one. Granted, they are messy, so hopefully you will blast in a shed or outside, and wear a proper respirator. There is a rubberized sheet that is used to cut out designs and shapes when blasting, you can even do glass etching with the blaster, if you know how. A friend of mine sandblasts for a living, doing headstone lettering, designs and such. If you like Hugh, I could put you in touch with him for tips? It may save to time, money and safety.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I might take you up on that a little later. Right now I'm going to get started on the pcs of granite, and see if I can make the sandblaster work. I still have to finish the vacuum kiln I have started. Its been a lazy summer. Thanks Bob.

Comment

Working...
            X