Free Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Time

Well, I now have some time to make tools, carve, and clean my shop.
    My union went on strike September 1st, so I have lots of free time.

I spent Labor Day cutting and delivering wood, not for carving, but for keeping the folks warm on the picket line. Boy am I ever sore! The muscles under my shoulder-blades feel like they were beat with a stick.

After I finished with the wood, Theresa and I dropped off a truck-load of soda pop at the union hall. Well not a “full” truckload, but 15 cases anyhow.

I plan to spend the next couple days making knives and beginner’s kits.
    It’s great to see that I may have inspired some of you to try making a razor knife.
    Be careful, tool making is addictive, and may cut into your carving time.
    Take care, and I will try to post a little more while I am off work.

Re: Free Time

Rick sorry to hear you are on strike I hope the weather is being nice to you. Are you not too far off of retirement? The free time is good but doesnt pay the bills hope that they reach an agreement soon. I am all ears does this mean you will be making some new knifes I cant wait I will be checking my emails to see whats new. Good luck Rick hope all works out for you
    Colin
    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
    Jackson, MS

Comment

Yep been inspired to make the knives, now I need some inspiration on where to get straight razors cheap LOL..........thanks Rick
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the strike. Sometimes they're necessary.

Two of my Sons evacuated New Orleans leaving everything they owned but not the 11 year old hobbled up dog. Two of the sets you're making me are gifts for them for Christmas. They're both professional Artists and left a several year collection of supplies and art behind, some of it already sold and paid for. We're all thankful they fled before the storm! The knives will mean far more to them since they've lost all their other tools and supplies, and won't be "another set of tools to try" but some very precious and few tools custom made for them by the best!

Thanks again! Enjoy the time off. You only have so many days on this old earth. You'll be called back soon and be wishing for more time off if you're like me!

Wade

Comment

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the strike, been there done that, glad to hear you have some more time for your other pursuits. But... since you are going to make some razor knives I might just wait a bit before I start making my own and see if some make it to your For Sale page. I have made three of my own knives from reciprocating saw blades but am a little nervous about making this one.

Comment

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the strike. Hopefully it'll be over quickly with a positive outcome. In the meantime enjoy yourself!

mikeg
            Mike B

Comment

Nasty time to be on strike,

Hope it ends for you soon. But in the mean time, I suggest Icy-hot for the pains, and plenty of enjoyable things. Also if your going to be picketing , take a carving along , should help the time move a bit faster.

Ash

Comment

Hello Rick

Sorry to hear about the strike. Hope the weather is good. I remember when my Dad was still working and went out on strike in the dead of Winter. He only had about five years to go to retirement. It wasn't a happy time but we got through it. Here's hoping it's a short strike with big returns. In the meantime, try to enjoy yourself with some carving!

Take care,
                Bob

Comment

Rick, sorry to hear about the strike, I hope it goes well, is over soon and is settled how you'd like it to be!

Wade, I'm sorry to hear of your sons losses but thankful they are alright (and their hobbled up old dog too!)!! Callynne

Comment

Sorry to hear about the stike...

Put me on your email list for new knives you will most certainly be producing.

Comment

Thats a sad thing Wade, my condolences to your sons! But you know, you can be proud of them, they saved the most important thing...that old hobbled dog! Life is precious and good friends cannot be replaced!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the strike Rick. Maybe they will come to an agrement in a shot time. In the meantime I could use a good detail knife, I will check your site or you could make me one. Ron

Comment

Rick,
                          Hope negotiations go your way and you get some time off. Every cloud has a silver lining. I know you are basicly a knife guy, but you should be able to benefit by watching some world class chiselers and gougers. These guys are sharp and do all of their work in suits. Try to enjoy time off.
                          Jim

Comment

Jim...if you think Rick is just a knife guy...you better take a look at his hobo carvings on his site! Rick is formost an outstanding carver! And, you know, I just noticed you are in Flagstaff, or did I say something once before Anyway, if you are in Kingman anytime, holler and lets have coffee, pop, tea, water etc LOL..........Dave

Comment

Or you could just go fishing off his boat !

Jester
                              Ash

Comment

Working...
                              X