Connections with the Past (and stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connections with the Past (and stuff)

Earlier this month we had to go and visit with my wife's aunt as he was in hospice care. She passed on the second day we were there. An event that brought us great personal loss, but on several levels let us connect withthe past.

Her immediate family knew of my woodworking/carving interest and gave me an old breast drill that her deceased husband had in the basement. Karen recieved several of her hand painted china pieces.

When we returned home, an old frind of my dad's (my name-sake) had sent a package to us. It contained an old hand carved button that my dad had carved, I believe, from sumac. (of interest because of the discussion on sumac as a carving wood). Along with this was a chisle my dad had made from an old file. It has a tiger maple handle and other than that is rather crude. I spent a few hours and cleaned the handle up and put a new edge on the tool. It "razored up" really well.

I also have a carved and painted "peacepipe" Dad made in 1950 or '51 from a piece of sumac.

Ash, I think, posted earlier about some items of historical (is that the word I need) importance to him, and I thought that posting some of these personal items here was appropriate.

Heres a few photos of the items, though not the best photography.

Al

Re: Connections with the Past (and stuff)

Hello Al

My condolences on the passing of your wife's Aunt.

The carvings are great. I guess you know where you got your talent!

I was intrigued by the chisel your Dad made. I recently made some tools from old files my Grandfather used as a machinist. They DO take an edge real well and they hold that edge, too. A strop here and there, and that's all I've had to do. As with yours, I guess sure the reason for the good edge is the steel back then was a much better quality than that of the tools today.

Thanks.

Comment

Al,

I am sorry for your loss.
      The carvings are really a special treasure. Nothing compares to the value we place upon those things of our parents. Great carvings and a great find .

Ash

Comment

You really have some real treasures from the past that money can't touch! I also was most impressed with the chisel made from a file by your dad and even made more personal since anyone can easily see that it was made by the labor of a single person. Very nice and what a fantastic piece to remember who he was.
        Dave Brock

Comment

Al, It's nice you made it to Ohio (?) to visit your wife's aunt before she passed. I hope that helped some with the loss.
          And it's great that you have some fine items from the past to enjoy and explore.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. She was Karen's aunt, but was a great lady and will be sorely missed by everyone who knew her.

It was really nice to get these few remembrances of my dad, too. He died when I was 9, so there is not a lot around of his. There was one additional item I didn't mention because it has nothing to do with carving, a 20 piece mineral collection he made and was selling back in the late 40's till he died in 54. It's now framed and hanging over the computer. The fella who sent it all included a frame that his father in law made from old barnwood. I had to make an inner frame from cedar and "age" it to match, but it came out quite nice. Gettin' a bit nostalgic in my old age I guess.

Thanks, again, to everyone for their thoughts.

Al

Comment

Al, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It helps to hold in our hands and see with our eyes, tangible things from our loved ones lives. I'm happy you have such lovely treasures to hold, along with your memories! Callynne

Comment

Working...
              X