National Carvers Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Carvers Museum

I got a great deal on the magazine of the "National Carvers Museum" called "The Mallet". While looking through some I decided to do a search for the museum. Here are the results.

National Carvers Museum @1984

The site just has some great pictures of carvings in the museum. Thought you carvers might enjoy seeing them.

Anyone know what happened to the museum and all the carvings?

Re: National Carvers Museum

Thank you for the tour! Very nice carvings!

Comment

This should get some interesting comments from the old timers. So where did all these carvings go, and who got my $100.00 life time membership after they closed and disappeared about a month after I paid? And lots of other one hundreds I'm sure. I have lots of the Mallet somewhere, underneath a pile of carving mags.

Comment

Thanks Terry, Nice looking at some of those old carvings. Will Hayden looks so young then.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hey Terry,
          Thanks for the tour, enjoyed it very much!

Dan

Comment

great sight I've bookmarked it. thanks.
            rgds
            John

Comment

Terry
              The National Carvers Museum was a wonderful carving museum in Monument Colorado .. I was a member and visited it several times and the carvings it it were by some of the finest carvers around .. It was a somewhat a large museum .. and the quality of the pieces were great .. quite a experience seeing it .. The Museum put out a carving magazine to help fund it called "The Mallet"
              But unfortunately because of reasons I personally dont know .. it ran into financial problems and went somewhat bankrupt .. I remember when it happen .. Iam not positive .. but I believe the carvings were auctioned off for past debt and alot of carvers and their famlies that donated to the museum werent too happy about this ..The whole thing wasnt a pleasant experience for carvers and The ruin of the beautiful museum and one of a kind carvings left a bad taste in alot of members mouths .. Unfortunately .. it was a very sad ending to a great idea for a woodcarving museum .
              Gene

Comment

gene-messer, good commentary on the museum, especially your last line. It was a sad ending to a great idea.

Comment

Thanks for the tour Terry. Thanks for the up-date Gene. Seemed like a very nice place. To bad it ended like it did.
                  Carve On,
                  Kadiddle

Comment

Thanks for the update Gene...I've been getting The Mallet for 30 years...never knew that happened! Are they still in financial ruin and are they going to continue publishing the magazine?
                    Keep On Carvin'
                    Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Bob .. the Mallet carving magazine went out of existance years ago with the museum .. now this isnt Chip Chats .. its the Mallet and it looks like the magazine below
                      Gene

Comment

They didn't auction off the carvings against the carvers wishes.....they first ask those they could find whether they wanted them back. I know as my Father had several in the museum and they were returned. As far as I know only those not claimed were otherwise disposed of.

Yes, it was a neat place to visit. Unfortunately, there was so many carvings squeezed into such a small place that it was almost impossible to concentrate on any one thing. I too have a few of the old Mallet issues and it's nice to go back and see how the quality of carving then compares to that being produced now. It's pretty clear, to me anyway, that we've come a long way since then.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Lynn .. I had talked to several carvers who were very upset at the time of the closing and were claiming this .. but I wasnt sure it was the full truth .. alot of rumors of why it closed to bad management to money handling was also a gripe back then .. but the people I met at the museum seemed very honest and straightforward

Gene

Comment

Is this the same (or related to the) National Woodcarving Museum that was (is) near Custer, South Dakota about 15 years ago?

Comment

No! This one was located near Colorado Springs if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X