Caution, IE users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution, IE users

There is a new program that pops up when accessing Internet Explorer. When I opened IE a page appears (very official looking) and does a "supposed" scan of your computer for "Trojans". It will show a screen representing the screen that would normally appear when clicking Start>computer. The two bars look official but if you look at them they don't nearly represent the computers usage. Also it scanned my "floppy" drive A: (which doesn't exist). It will tell you that you have 300-400 Trojans that need to be removed. Just download their removal program. Don't do it!!!!! The best thing to do is exit IE and reload it. The little windows that pop up for you to download their program is written in broken English and is not a security program on your computer. Do not trust an UN-solicited site without first checking it out. It's best to be safe, not sorry.

Tim

Re: Caution, IE users

rule # 1 - Keep your data backed up
    rule #2 - Keep your anti-vurus up to date

Comment

rule #3 - Run a scan of your entire system using your Anti-Virus software on a week bases.

Susan

(Had a friend that had her anti-virus set to check for daily up dates but never enabled the program to run any scans using those up dates ... oh what a mess!)
      Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
      LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
      CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

"The Dangers of Rogue Security Software"
        The Dangers of Rogue Security Software - ZoneAlarm Blog

1.1 Backup on separate data only drive and CD/DVD. Makes wiping a blown OS easier.

2.1 Firewall/Virus/General Malware/Pop-Up/ capable software.

3.1 When something suspicious happens, literally unplug from the internet, and do a thorough scan of everything.

4 - Watch "malware news" like you would watch the weather channel to keep your fear level appropriately high. Sorta like:
        ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

*note: no affiliation with Check Point Software, just that it's what I happen to use.

ABitoSlo
        "I'm not paranoid, I know they are out to get me."

Comment

i forget the name of it right now but its actual purpose is to steal yr m/c number. maladwarebytes is a program that removes it, but since it attaches to yr registry it can be a real problem to remove. it will eventually disable your antivirus and make it that yr machine wont even boot windows. it is nasty

Comment

And also... don't use IE

Comment

Originally posted by gtech View Post
              And also... don't use IE
              Ditto...only when I absolutely have to. My primary browser is Opera and secondary, Firefox. IE is fraught with bugs!!!!
              Another scam is when you get an e-mail from Nigeria claiming a few million dollars is eagerly awaiting my reply. Or an e-mail from the FBI chief with a Yahoo Mail account. Most times all it takes is common sense to NOT open these e-mails. Unfortunately there are some people naive enough to keep these scammers going.

Tim

Comment

you guys ever though of alternative operating systems ? im 25 and was born right in the begining of the (mainstream) computer era. saw them all from win3.1 and at some point i got fed up with the ever changing interface. plus you have to pay whenever you want an interresting program or application or you have to find your way arround.
                some years ago i switched to a linux distribution called Ubuntu. its free, supported, and the best thing about it is that theres no virus, no popups, no adds nor bars that adds themselves up to your browser, did i mention its free ? its very stable and you can do pretty much everything a mac or PC does.

Comment

Linux is really nice and has it's merits however, I use a lot of programs that don't run on that system. Linux has nothing comparable to FSX and I refuse to quit flying,lol. Not to mention Photoshop or Illustrator. Other than that, Linux would be my choice.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by gtech View Post
                    And also... don't use IE
                    Gee, after 15 years of trouble free service you think I would have learned my lesson

Comment

I don't use IE anymore either...now I use Firefox. Thanks for the heads up!
                      Keep On Carvin'
                      Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

As a side note, I also began to use Umbuntu Linux a while ago, but ended up buying a Mac when my portable PC gave up...

Both systems have roots from Unix but the Mac OS is more mature than Linux and have more programs available.

I am still using Firefox of course...

Gilles C.

Comment

Hey Sashadoc.....it's not just IE....I use Firefox, only because I hate IE...just like I hate microsoft....but he we are. I was downloading a screensaver from a secure site, caught a bug. Yes, it wants to do a scan...DON'T LET IT.....push the power button and hold it until the computer shuts down....(programmer's key, it will do an orderly shutdown)

Somehow, the "virus scan" window, which was fake and looked REALLY, really good, was running behind my active Firefox window. When my computer started acting stupid, I minimized Firefox and here is this Microsoft app running and telling me that the viruses have been isolated and damage has occurred to my registry and my hard drive...Yea, from the virus that just caused the damage.
                          You know, I struggle with the concept of violence and retribution is not something I spend a lot of time pondering....but the mindset that unleashes this kind of thing on people that have never caused them any harm...castration sounds pretty good. I just hate being at the mercy of this kind of thing....it is just almost not worth the trouble to be able to use a computer....And, yes...my laptop hard drive is toast...I will have to start from scratch.

Comment

I've been running Kasperkys Internet Security for a few years now and have had no issues with either Firefox (my main browser) or IE. .It can be found for $20 bucks or less on line and is good for up to 3 systems.

Using Pop up blockers help as well, set it to ask permission for new windows or tabs. If you didn't summons a window you know to not let it open. Anti banners and Ad block add ons for firefox are nice too

Comment

I also thought about asking if an antivirus was present...

Btw, I checked the price of Kasperkys Internet Security software and it seems to be more costly than $20.00, did I read it wrong???

I will try it on my Mac...

Gilles C.

Comment

Working...
                              X