A question....picture sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question....picture sizing?

Okay, so much for shutting down the computer by 9:00 AM, I'm always getting side tracked!! I started carving, got to wondering, why do my pictures come up smaller than everyone elses...what am I doing wrong? So I came back on here to check it out, but I can't figure it out!!

I have Kodak's Easy Share. My options for saving are, 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, best for web (e-mail sized) and thumbnail. I save my pictures at 'e-mail' size to send through e-mail (of course!) or to put on here. On my website, they advised me to save them at 50%, I tried loading them on here saved at 50%, they are too large a file.

I thought, maybe thumbnail is what I should use, tried it and it didn't open at all. 25% is a tiny bit bigger. I checked properties on some of the pictures other carvers have posted and it says they were on Kodak's Easy Share too, so what am I doing wrong? Any thoughts, anyone?!

Okay, now I really have to get off here and get busy carving!! Sarcastic Thanks! Deborah

Re: A question....picture sizing?

Deb....I use Kodak Easy Share too , but resize my pictures on Adobie Photoshop. Easy Share just isn't flexable enough or convienient for me, my daughter is an Adobie "Wizard", she studied it in art college, and has shown me a few simple tricks that I find handy. What she can do with it is extrordinary, but me, I'm primitave! Corel Draw is another handy program, that I use to use, but Adobie is a gem beside it.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

My camera is also a Kodac with the Easy Share program. Bob is so on the mark about Easy Share not being flexible at all. I use Paint Shop Pro. You can download a 30 day free trail at www.jasc.com

In PSP you can set the dpi - number of pixels per inch and then resize to the exact number of pixels you want for the width or height. So a 100 dpi image that has a 400 pixel width becomes a 4" wide image. That's around the top size of image that the forum allows.

Susan
      Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
      LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
      CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

If you have a scanner, you should have had a photo processor included with the software disc. Mine had Ulead Photo Impact, and it has a "sizer" that is adjustable by +- 1%. I usually upload 50% for adding to posts and leave them at 100% for the albums. when you adjust the size in Photo Impact, the top bar of the photo itself will give you the pixel size of the pic. number pixels/number pixels. As long as these numbers are within the range of the allowable size posted on the upload site, they should load. Make these numbers as close to the allowable as possible and your pictures will appear as large as possible.

If you are using a digital camera for direct input, you may have to save your photos to the other processor, rather than utilizing the one that comes with your camera. Just hit the "save as" button and put the picture into your other photo processor or your other picture file. Pull them up in the editor and shrink 'em down!

Did I confuse you enough? If not let me know and I'll try a little harder.....heheheh

Al

Al

Comment

Use Kodak Easy Share camera and docking station/printer hooked to a pc. Down loaded to little brides PC, burned to a CD, ran on my PC, down load copy off CD and resized using Photo Pro program. Sometimes with the PC networked together, I copy over but takes longer than burning them off and download off the CD. I have two more PC networked together with Netgear equipment but they are used as a servers. One will be going to son's home when he gets moved.

Comment

Kenny,
            Sheesh! I have a much simpler system..."Honey, can you help me with this?" It magically gets done! Unfortunately she uses the same system on other things....
            Wade

Comment

Callynne ,

Here is some other information you might find helpful. If you are posting to the fourm, your max size is a thumbnail pic size. They use I think 500 * 480 pix. The normal format in most camera's without using massive memmory is 640 * 480.
              If you are using windows, go to start , all programs, then accessories, then check to see if you have paint.
              will be a little icon with paint brushes in a jar.

click open paint, then go to file, select open then select your picture. Open your picture and then go to images on the toolbar. Find attributes you will see width and height. just set the size of where you want to be close and save and your picture will be resized to the new size and ready for uploading to the fourm.

ASh

Comment

Hello Calleyanne,
                I usually use Paint Shop Pro, but I also use a free program to veiw and work with graphics called Ifanview, you can go here and download it free, it is the fastest grapics veiwer that I have ever used, and I also have Adobe Photo Shop. check it out. http://www.irfanview.com/

GaryMc

Comment

If you are using Windows xp there is a tool that you can download. After it is loaded all you have to do is right click on the picture and select the size you want and it makes a new file with the smaller formatted picture. If you want to down load it pm me and I will help you thru it.
                  Goody

Comment

Wade, that don't work in this house with mehaving 35 years in a IT department for a major oil company. But then, I hate pc after 35 years in computing. Sometimes the little bride take pity on me and lets me use her new pc. Hmm, she always gets the new and I the hand me downs. Glad it ain't clothes or underware.. However, We don't have the same software on each pc as to me, a waste of memory plus being networked together, can use one or two printers on all and all programs from each other. Not bragging just the sorry state of affairs in this house hold!

heading out tomorrow, catch y'll on the flip flop!
                    Toddles

Comment

Originally posted by Retry
                      Hello Calleyanne,
                      I usually use Paint Shop Pro, but I also use a free program to veiw and work with graphics called Ifanview, you can go here and download it free, it is the fastest grapics veiwer that I have ever used, and I also have Adobe Photo Shop. check it out. http://www.irfanview.com/

GaryMc
                      I've been using Irfan View for many years too and can't believe that such a great program is still free. Be sure to download all the plugins too!
                      Dave Brock

Comment

Another freeware is Picasa from Google.com

It will organized and resize your pictures a number of ways.

Comment

Callynne, I use paint too, the same way Ashbys does. In the Stretch/Skew I reduce the 100% (H&V) to 30% & 30% and this will reduce a 1MB picture to about 50KB.

Bill

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice!! First thing I checked was if I had Paint, I do, but couldn't get it to work right. I took my picture in (at 100%), tried reducing it in 'Attributes', only thing is, it just chopped part of the picture off.

I played around with it for a bit last night, trying different things, couldn't figure it out. After what you wrote, Bill, I wondered if what I should have done was take a 25% size and 'resize' it. I'll try that first (since I already have one saved at 25% and see if it works). See ya later...wish me luck! Deborah

Comment

Bummer, that didn't work! The picture was just as small and messed up looking. I tried doing one at 100% in Paint, entered in the 30% x 30% and up popped a box saying " Please Enter an Integar" I would, if I knew what the heck an Integar was.

Any other advice to working with Paint? I wanted to try using it first, since I already have it on my computer!

I also have HP Image Zone Plus. I tried using it to size a picture (not from a scan, just one saved on my computer), couldn't see how to do it either. Having a real Duhhhhh, time here! I know I'm making this harder than it has to be, just don't know how I'm making it that way! Head Bange Deborah

Comment

Working...
                              X