what does every one do for a living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does every one do for a living

im really new to this site and was just wondering what every ones day job is.
    I work at a lumberyard in deptford, new jersey and only resently found wood carving. hopefully one day i can be as good as all of the members of this forum

Re: what does every one do for a living

I'm the associate editor of Wood Carving Illustrated and Scroll Saw Workshop...and I also hope I can someday carve as well as half the people on the board. I see the greatest carvings in the world right now, and get really critical of my own carvings <grin>

Bob

Comment

I suspect that you will find a great number of us are retired. There are some who are gainfully employed and manage to become good woodcarvers (not counting those that do it for a living). But most are probably like me, I hacked away at wood for about 15 years, retired, had time to take instruction, and became a woodcarver (10 years now). Wish I could disclaim the early stuff!

Before retiring I was a ranger with the National Park Service.

Comment

I work as a civil draftsman, working on mostly municipal and county projects for a civil engineering consultant, drawing bridges, roads, sewers, and whatever else is falling apart and needs fixing here in New Jersey.

Comment

I am now disabled due to blindness. I worked as a cabinet and furniture builder for 35 plus years and took up carving about a year or so ago I couldn't stay away from the wood. I only hope to be as good as I can which will never match most everyone here but am proud to call them my friends. Ron

Comment

Retired Michigan State Trooper (25 years on the road, traffic enforcement AND criminal investigation). Been a "bum" for the past 12 years.....worked four summers at a Scout camp since retiring, two as an area director and two as the camp director. Been a good ride, so far!

Al

Comment

Took Early retirement 2 years ago from a Imformation Technology(IT) department at a major Oil comany. Now, when I can, I carve, that is if the little bride doesn't have Honey dos for me to mark off her list. Oh, They don't get done, but I mark them off anyway.

Comment

I work for a large grocery chain as the Loss Recovery Manager collecting on bad checks. After putting in my 8 hours I am a new father to a 6 month old baby girl who is the light of my life. I am trying to find time after she goes to bed and on the weekends to do some carving. I find carving to be a great way to relax. It allows me to clear my head of all the daily grind of life, express my creativity, and hopefully bring some happiness to others.

Carve on!!

vacaricature carver

Comment

I work for a textile company that makes fabrics for automotive upholstry (seats, doors, and roof lining).
                  Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                  My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

I've been carving, writing about and teaching bird carving full-time since 2000. Prior to that I had a drafting business that specialized in structural steel detaling and rebar detailing. Steel detailing entails taking an engineer's set of plans for a building and preparing shop fabrication drawings for each beam, column, brace, etc. in those plans. The detailer takes each individual piece of steel and draws it separately showing how long the piece must be, where the holes are to be made, where and how many bolts are required to connect it to other pieces, how much and how large & where specific welds are made. These are sent to a steel fabrication shop where each beam, column & brace are made to the detailed drawings I've provided. Another set of plans called an Erection Drawing are prepared for the iron working crews in the field. This shows all of the pieces and how they need to be hooked together...Beam "A" fits to Beam "B", Beam "A" and "B" fit to Column "C" here, etc.
                    Rebar detailing consists of preparing plans for the concrete workers that show where the reinforcing steel needs to be placed. Each piece of rebar needs to be fabricated, e.g. cut to length, bent a certain way to fit various corners, curves, etc. in the building. These in turn must be called out on a separate plan for the concrete people. where each shape of bar goes, how many & and what spacing.

I'd been doing this type of work since I was 20 years old, and had clients all over the country. There's a high rate of burn-out in this particular field since it's such a high pressure, fast paced line of work. If the building falls down or things don't fit, the first one investigated is the detailer. Hammer
                    (Fortunately, none of my buildings fell down...grin).

I've been wanting to do art for a living for a very long time. I set some goals to meet towards doing art full time. when these goals were met, I told my clients I was taking a Sabbatical (didn't want to burn bridges...but I had no intention of going back), and haven't looked back since. It was an interesting line of work, though and I do miss the iron workers. Cheers

Comment

I work in a simlar field to LCorbett. I used to work for a large environmental complany building landfill cells (oh my did work every smell good). About 2 years ago I crossed over to the dark side as they say in the construction industry and became a consultant. I work on project controls, all day every day. Simply put I take the construction plans from the owner and create a schedule and a budget for the project. In other areas we manage the work being done to make sure the contractors are doing their job and the owners and at risk level contractors are abiding by the contractual agreements.

Comment

I spent the last 20+ years working various jobs and making money for others. I am now in the process of beginning my career. I have been teaching jewelry and chain techniques at the local community college and several arts centers, craft stores, and beading shops for the last 5 months and am finally beginning to develop a "following" of repeat students.Woodcarving and stickmaking are my relaxation and will continue to be for as far as I can see.

Comment

32 years in State government, the last 18 as a division head for 230 employees (hint, my employees and I work when it snows). Soon to retire move to W.Va. and build our dream log home.

Comment

I have done it all or it seems like that. When I was 17 joined the military as a grunt (Infantry) decided that walking was not the way to go so I transfered to the Transportation Corps. Ended up as a heavy equipment instructor, bull dozers graders, cranes etc. Ever since I was a kid (just yesterday) I wanted to be an RCMP officer (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and wear that red uniform. Got my wish when I quit the military and was excepted into the RCMP. Wore out so many of those red uniforms I loved it so much. Double hip replacements forced me into retirement eight years ago (I still wear that red uniform to bed) I would go back tomorrow if they would take me but that is not going to happen. So now I carve for a living (Not really I have a terrific pension) but the extra money comes in handy to buy new tools. I havent slowed down one bit still start my day off at the gym for an hour the rest of the time is spent raising my grandson and carving. If I had to go back and do it all over again I would do it exactly the same way except for one thing. I would have started carving when I was 17 instead of chasing women I would be a lot richer today Smile
                            Colin
                            Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                            Jackson, MS

Comment

i am a lineman for the local telephone company,we place and splice cable. anything form a 25 pair cable to a 3000 pair cable.

BART

Comment

Working...
                              X