• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precarved Guitar Top

Odd but sold for $53,500.

http://benedettoguitars.com/boutique/il-teredo/
    Brian T

Re: Precarved Guitar Top

In the world of jazz archtop guitars, Bob Benedetto is THE man. His guitars (the ones he actually constructs from start to finish - not the ones coming out of his small manufacturing facility mainly done by others) sell consistantly for >$20K, so something out of the ordinary, isnt surprising to go for much more.

Guitars and guitar collectors are a strange bunch - lots of very big sums of money are paid for certain builder's instruments... but not mine I am a hobby guitar player, and builder. I actually built a 17" jazz box, based on Bob Benedetto's book and plans.

It is a carving indeed, as the top/back are carved from solid spruce/curly maple respectively. I think the back, from curly maple, was the hardest thing physically I have ever hand carved!

AJC

Comment

Re: Precarved Guitar Top

Thanks for your reply, aj. I'd heard of Benedetto, but I would never bat in that league. I'm stuck in the basement with Martin!
      I just could not imagine anyone with the appetite to tackle a chunk of Teredo for an instrument.
      I've seen some freaky table lamp bases turned from that stuff but an instrument?. . . . . .

In yours, pretty dang nice (& pretty) book match in the back. I like the look of BM.
      Brian T

Comment

Working...
      X