Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Benefit Auction - Please Read and Pass On

Dear Friends,

As you already know, the Waveland/Bay St. Louis area in Southern Mississippi was nearly wiped out by Hurricane Katrina.

Hope Haven Shelter, located in that area, has served for nearly 10 years as a refuge for abused and neglected children. Many of these children’s lives were again upended when Katrina took her toll on the Shelter. The storm slammed about 7 feet of water through the shelter, destroying everything inside and out. The kids living there had to be quickly moved to various temporary foster homes in the northern part of the state – a tough move for anyone, but even harder for children whose lives are already ravaged by memories of abuse and questionable futures.

The Navy Seabees worked hard to rebuild the shelter’s structure, but in order to re-open, there is still a great need to replace just about everything. The Shelter’s Director, Terry Latham, told a local newspaper, “We lost everything inside the shelter, and in our storage and activity buildings. We just got a new van through grant money, and we lost that as well.”

I spoke with Mr. Latham recently, and he shared some of the difficulties they continue to face. He told me that since so many people and organizations in the area were affected by the storm, many of the local donors they rely on to sustain them are unable to continue their support for now.

Please help us bring new hope to the Shelter and to the many children they care for. Here’s how you can help:

1) One of my new carvings, a piece entitled “Bring Hope”, is being auctioned on eBay, beginning today, November 9 - 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Shelter. Use this link to view the auction on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6577750185

2) In addition to the auction, there is a direct link on my site to Hope Haven Shelter, where you can make donations directly to the Shelter. Donations can be mailed directly to Hope Haven at PO Box 3777, Bay St. Louis, MS 39571. Every little bit helps, so please send anything you can.

FOR EVERY DIRECT DONATION MADE of $100 or more, you’ll receive 10% off your next carving purchase with me; 20% off for a donation of $250 or more. (Please be sure to mention my name when you donate, so Hope Haven can let me know of your contribution and we can track your carving credit.)

All donations to Hope Haven are tax-deductible.

Thanks so much in advance for your help in allowing Hope Haven Shelter continue to be “A Child’s Hope For A New Beginning”.

Teri
    “Reflections of the Soul”
    by folk artist Teri Embrey
    www.teriembrey.com
    206-242-4453

Re: Special Benefit Auction - Please Read and Pass On

Hi Terry:

Long time, no talk. How are you doing? I'm not even going to ask if you're busy, since that would ignore the obvious. That's another fine carving, and I may end up with it. If not, I'll at least push the bidding higher. Thanks for all you do, for our craft and for those in need. Keep up the great carving! Your friend and admirer. Mike
    Matthew

Comment

Wow! Some folks really want your carving. My bid wasn't good for more than a few minutes. I'll show them a thing or two. Let's get this Santa price up there! Mike
      Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by mdallensr
        Wow! Some folks really want your carving. My bid wasn't good for more than a few minutes. I'll show them a thing or two. Let's get this Santa price up there! Mike
        OK Mike - you talked me into it Ice Cream
        Nancy

Comment

Well, I did my part! In ...... and out so fast it made my head swim! Go get it Folks! I'm still regretting not getting that cane! I know its' owner loves it!
          Wade

Comment

Thanks so much, you guys! And don't forget - even if you can't get in on the bidding for the auction, every little bit helps, so go to Hope Haven's site www.hopehavenshelter.org and send a few bucks their way!

Hugs,

Teri

Comment

We got the bid up to $500! It could be that some folks want this Santa as much as I do.
              Matthew

Comment

Wow, the auction ended this morning, and we raised $560 for Hope Haven Shelter. Yippety Skippety!!! Thanks to all of you who helped the auction along and for making donations to the shelter directly.

I have to tell you this - the guy who originally told me about Hope Haven (one of my collectors who lives in that area) showed up at the Shelter this morning, and gave them a check to MATCH what we raised on eBay!! Yay for carvers and carving collectors everywhere!

Teri

Comment

Wonderful news Teri I am glad your auction went so well and that the gentleman matched your price. Thankyou for doing that your rewards will be great just in the satifaction to know you made a difference.
                  Colin
                  Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                  Jackson, MS

Comment

Sorry I didn't win the carving, Terri. I "fell asleep" and missed the end of the auction. You did a great thing and many people will beneift from your contributions. Thanks. Mike
                    Matthew

Comment

Working...
                    X