my other hobby.....not carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my other hobby.....not carving

Very nice! I am always impressed by successful gardeners. Takes a lot more than luck eh.
    Terry

Comment

Hi Ho,
      Anyone involved in bonsai has killed their share of trees. It's part of the learning process. What really upsets legitimate bonsai folks, are those "Mallsai" that are sold at flea markets, mall kiosks, even grocery stores sometimes....or big box stores in the garden department. Those things sold as bonsai, are NOT bonsai. Some may have the potential to become a decent bonsai in the right hands but with all the mis information that goes with them, they are usually taken home and put on somebody's coffee table, where they die.

Those things have a layer of glued rocks over the soil and most of the trees are nothing more than yearling cuttings that have been lightly trimmed and stuck into a ceramic pot and sold for anywhere between $14.99 and $39.99. It's criminal.

If some misguided loved one should give any of you one of those Mallsai, pry off that layer of glued on pebbles right away. Do not put the tree in your house. Put it out on your porch where it can get full sun. Repot it into a pot similar to what nursery shrubs come in when you buy them and let the tree grow and develop some while you learn about bonsai...... Clubs are wonderful. Just like in wood carving, they speed up the learning curve way beyond books....

Comment

Hi Hal, Terry, thanks for the comments. Young people don't usually have the patience for carving or bonsai.... you cannot hurry either one. Even with a really well developed shrub in a 3 gallon pot from a nursery, it's 5 years minimum of training usually, before you have something worth putting into a bonsai pot.

Comment

Working...
        X