Lost my Dad, Marine Veteran WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my Dad, Marine Veteran WWII

I thought it would be o.k. to post about my dad, since I know there are many Veteran's on this board, and I kind of need to just talk about him.
    He fell on Friday the 13th, breaking his hip and they had to take him to surgery and replace it. He was 89, and on oxygen (years of smoking took their toll on his lungs). The surgery went fine, but his lungs just didn't have enough left to get him stabilized. He was in and out of it for a week, one day he could sit up and talk a little, the next he would sleep the whole day. Eventually, he slipped away as God reached down and took him home.
    My dad was lucky to have lived so long. He was serving on the U.S.S Arizona for a while, but he and about 10 others were pulled off it just 3 weeks before the attack on Pearl Harbor. When the attack happened, my dad was on a heavy cruiser, just one day away...they pulled into Pearl harbor the next day for refueling and went back out to sea.
    He was wounded in action on 7-31-44 in Tinian...narrowly missing a bullet through his head, as he was crawling and just as he pushed himself up, the bullet went through both arms. He received the Purple Heart for this.
    He was a good Dad, kind and with a sense of humor. He loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing, boating...his sister's spoiled him, but in a good way. He was married several times, so maybe not so lucky in that area, finally ended up single in his senior years. ..but with many friends. guess that's all, I feel better just 'talking'. Still hasn't sunk in tht he's gone,
    Thanks for listening, Kris

Re: Lost my Dad, Marine Veteran WWII

Sorry to hear the sad news . You told a wonderful story, I'm sure he'll be missed by many.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. It's tough loosing Dad. My dad was also a WWII naval vet. He served aboard the destroyer USS Luce, DD522 which was sunk of Okinawa. He received the Purple Heart also. Our WWII vets are becoming a rare breed. Lets not forget them or their sacrifices.
      DickB

Comment

Dear Kris, I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. You go a head and talk about him.
        He sounds like he was great dad and a hero!
        It takes a long while for it to sink in.
        I don't have any magic words to take away the pain you are feeling right. But it does get easier with time. A big hug to you!
        My ETSY shop:
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss Kris. Our thoughts are with you and your family!

Comment

Thank you all, I knew you all would understand. Dick, you are right, the WWII vets are becoming a rare breed. Sharon, you are a good friend here. Thanks again Ken & Dave.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. My dad died of prostate cancer almost three years ago..WWII Army Vet, European Theater...and it still hurts a lot. When a father passes, there is a hole torn in your heart that never fills back up. We are lucky to have them as long as we do..all of you who still have a living parent immediately hug them and tell them you love them..you won't always be able to do that, and that sucks as was said above.

Comment

Kris,
                Sorry to hear of your dad's passing, your words show us that he was a very good man and true American Hero and Marine brother, may he rest in peace.
                Semper Fi
                Dan

Comment

Kris, I am so sorry for your loss. I agree you told a wonderful story of your Dad. Others above me have put it to words much better than I can. So again I will say may God bless you in this time of loss and may time heal your pain.

Comment

Kris so sorry for your loss it is never easy. Lost my dad two years ago and my mom eleven months later. Great to hear you talk about him that is so important that you share his life with others, great story. My dad was a veteran served in WW2 and I am a retired veteran so veterans are the reason that we enjoy our freedom today. Again be comforted by his memories you will treasure him for the rest of your life.
                    Colin
                    Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                    Jackson, MS

Comment

I am just so very sorry about your dad, Kris. We can have a bunch of friends in our life, but there's just one dad....and that's special relationship that noone else can fill. I'll be saying special prayers that you are comforted during this awful time.

Comment

Kris
                        I'm sorry for your loss May God bless you and help you through this. I lost my Dad in 02 He was a wwII veteran serving on the USS Pararie. Time does'nt heal all the pain , but it will help.
                        Larry

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss Kris. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
                          Joe

Comment

So sorry to hear about your dad Kris, it is amazing that a broken hip can be so devastating for so many elderly people. It sounds like you have very fond memories of him, and that is a blessing in itself. Bless you, and may he rest in peace.

Tom
                            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Kris, thanks for sharing your dad's story. Sounds like a good guy and someone I'd be proud to know. I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom is 87 with very similar health problems and every day is a challenge but every day is a blessing as well as mom is a real treasure. Sounds like your dad was a treasure as well. My sincere condolences.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X