What kind of cloud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of cloud?

I took this picture on Monday while I was heading into Reno, Nevada on 395. I was by myself. I know, I shouldn't take pictures while driving, but you don't see something like this everyday.
    This thing was absolutely huge. I have never seen a cloud like this.
    Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of cloud it is.
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Re: What kind of cloud?

Hi Sharon,
    I'm not a meteorologist but I'd say its a "BIGGUN". Also don't think I want to be anywhere near where that thing touch's down, kinda looks like its swirlin. Thanks for the pics, now we all get to see it.
    Dan
    P.S. Hope everything is ok with your Brother-in-law.

Comment

Yep Yep! its a Biggun.
      Bill K.
      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Altocumulus lenticularis = BIGGUN
        Margo

Comment

Ok, Biggun.

Comment

Nope -- all wrong.
            That cloud is an uncommon "whirling big-one" .....

Comment

Looks like a wall cloud, a potentially nasty storm maker. Below is the first paragraph from the entry on them from Wikipedia...

"A wall cloud (or pedestal cloud) is a large, lowering cloud formation that develops beneath the base of a cumulonimbus cloud that often forms tornadoes. It is typically beneath the rain-free base (RFB) portion of a thunderstorm, and indicates the area of the strongest updraft within a storm. Wall clouds are sometimes an indication of a rotating mesocyclone in a thunderstorm, and most strong tornadoes form from wall clouds. However, wall clouds do not always rotate."

Comment

According to W.B. No. 956, Revised 1941, U.S. Department Of Commerce Weather Bureau, Cloud Forms According To The International System Of Classification.... SlowMover named it right! It's a Cumulonimbus looking to get into trouble! <Grin>

Comment

Since you were going to Reno, I'd say it was a large lenticular cloud. We see them often in the desert, indications of high winds aloft.

Comment

I know nothing of clouds but my wife loves taking pictures of them and was blown away with yours

Comment

Sure is pretty from a distance And I think Biggun is a bit easier to say for this hilljack.

Comment

Biggun for sure!!!! LOL And so glad this thing didn't turn into a tornado!
                        Thanks everyone for all the responses. I was the girl in school staring out the window looking at the clouds instead of studying them.
                        I googled lenticular clouds and they are very common a round Reno and the Sierras.
                        Here's a link to google images of some. Fantastic pictures if you are interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lent...w=1280&bih=653

I have more pictures I took of it with out power lines and buildings. I'm thinking about getting one blown up to hang on the wall. Might be kind of cool.
                        Anyway, thanks again everyone and you all made me smile too!
                        My ETSY shop:
                        https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

What...nobody can see the UFO thats hidding in there and creating it?
                          Patrick

Comment

It is simple cloud.....you can not make shapes of clouds!

Comment

I think you're right Sharon, and thanks for the link. Nice clouds.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X