New threat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New threat?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the latest spam/virus threat assaulting websites like this one? If you look at just about any thread you will notice odd words and phrases highlighted which are a link to a real nuisance advertisement. I have alerted BobD to it but I know he is a busy man and have not recieved a reply yet. I just wandered if anyone else was experiencing this, or is it a new way of raising revenue for the site that i was not aware of?

Re: New threat?

Most of the moderators are aware and delete these posts whenever they see them. One way you can help is to send a PM to a moderator with the userid of the spammer; the moderator can then ban the spammer and delete all his/her posts.

Claude
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Claude is correct.

This is actually not new and most of these are caught by the moderators....occasionally we miss a few.

Any member can 'report' a suspect post by clicking on the triangle symbol in the top bar of the post. Doing this will send an e-mail to the moderators. Or the PM route that Claude mentions works just as well - if you include the user id or the thread title.
      Member of Caricature Carvers of America
      My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell View Post
        Claude is correct.

Any member can 'report' a suspect post by clicking on the triangle symbol in the top bar of the post. Doing this will send an e-mail to the moderators.
        Well there! I just learned something about this forum that I was unaware of. I've been a member here for almost 4 years now and never once questioned what that triangle thingy stood for........
        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Obviously you guys could not see what I was seeing on my computer: ergo; my problem! I will get an upgrade to my anti-virus program and do a scan. Sorry to bother you guys. Joe.

Comment

The amount of spam creeping onto the list is staggering. Some mornings I come on here and find the same spam message, often in some foreign language, repeated in each forum category. We moderators delete them as fast as we can but it is impossible to have a moderator watching the list each hour of the day.

They are frustrating and puzzling. Someone somewhere must be making this worthwhile to the spammers. I have actually deleted and banned some spammers and returned to the new post list and found another waiting for me. Very frustrating. Feel like I spend as much time banning spam as I do reading and enjoying the camaraderie of WCI.

Comment

Hey don't get me wrong Paul, I think you guys and gals do a fantastic and often thankless job on here and I know the amount of spam and other junk you get must be staggering. What I meant to say was that there were even highlighted words appearing in the replies to this thread each time I viewed the responses, which you moderators were not experiencing, therefore, I assumed the problem was on my end. When you pass the cursor over them "Powered by Text Enhanced" comes up and if you click on it you will bring up another window saying you have won an iphone or some other thing. I have upgraded my system and still can't get rid of it.

Comment

I see now what you are saying. Websites embedded in text.

I have just finished reading an interesting book on my Kindle. The book, "Free God Now", was written for electronic devices. In that case it was fascinating. Instead of traditional footnotes there were references, in different text color, that clicking on would lead to more info than was usually included in footnotes.

I suppose that this will be the new form of spam of which we mods had better be aware. Someone will figure out how to do this and the spam will not be detectable at a glance. It will also make filters much less useful in eliminating spam. A great leap forward in the old analogy of we build a higher wall and they build a taller ladder!

If you figure out how to handle this please let us know.

Comment

I believe you have some sort of malware installed. Try running an anti malware program like malwarebytes Malwarebytes

Comment

I did a google search "powered by text enhanced" and it appears that it is a malware issue that's not uncommon. Many of the recommendations are to run Malwarebytes as Marcy suggested. It appears that it did not always take care of the problem in some cases.

I seem to remember having this issue one time myself, but I don't remember how I got it to stop. I have used Malwarebytes and it's effective. You can run it 30 days free, IIRC.
                    Member of Caricature Carvers of America
                    My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

Check your control panel and the add and remove icon....i had a thieving outfit called "bing" that kept screwing up my computer...finally got rid of it! Should say my computer guy did!
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Working...
                      X