The great yucca gathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great yucca gathering

Yesterday I hiked out in our surrounding "countryside" or "desertside" in search of the perfect Yucca stalk for another cane. Took the camera along and thought I would post a few photos if you would like to see what it looks like here.

Re: The great yucca gathering

Nancy,
    Is that Indian Paintbrush? You MUST be in high country! That's the only place I ever found it. Beautiful! We Kids used to go camping with my Mom, on high lakes around Reno when I was 7 to 11 years old, and it was always a thrill to see Indian Paintbrush! Like an old lost Friend!
    Wade

Comment

Beautiful country for hiking in! I am always amaized at the variety of wonderful countryside you can find in this continent to walk in. From Arctic tundra, long flat grass lands and plains, high deserts to hot and humid jungle. Great places to get away from it all and get back in touch with what really matters.

Thanks for sharing those Nancy, hope you found a suitable stalk. Beats looking out the window into a frozen, blown and windswept landscape! Burrr!

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I sure wish I had a picture of our yucca stalks...I would quote crocodile Dundee....."thats not a yucca THIS is a yucca!" LOL
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Originally posted by wade clark
          Nancy,
          Is that Indian Paintbrush? You MUST be in high country! That's the only place I ever found it. Beautiful! We Kids used to go camping with my Mom, on high lakes around Reno when I was 7 to 11 years old, and it was always a thrill to see Indian Paintbrush! Like an old lost Friend!
          Wade
          Wade, that is Indian Paintbrush. I have lived in this desert for almost 30 years and it still amazes me that these beautiful flowers just pop up here and there dispite extreme temps, drought, rock, whatever. The plants we have here can vary so much in as little as a short walk. My property has Joshua Trees, Scrub oak and a different variety of Yucca that I have yet to see bloom. About a quarter of a mile NW I find Manzanita and some small pines. Where the photos were taken about 5 miles SW of here there are huge old pines which unfortunately are mostly dead due to a Bark Beetle invasion a few years ago and the Nolina yucca, blooming every spring. We are around 4500'.

Comment

<<Thanks for sharing those Nancy, hope you found a suitable stalk. Beats looking out the window into a frozen, blown and windswept landscape! Burrr!

Bob>>

Bob, we were complaining yesterday because we were "freezing" at 45 degrees. We did have winds of around 25 mph all day so it felt soooo cold.

Comment

I think there must be something wrong with your camera. It doesn't seem to have photographed any snow. ;D
              It as -30 celcius here last night

Comment

Working...
              X