Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company on my walk

G'day All,
    In an attempt to improve my general health and lose some lard in the process I have been taking a daily walk of around 3½-4 miles and today I decided to take my camera, I live in a small rural town and my walk takes me out past a fair bit of farmland. One paddock in particular hosts a small mob of about 24 kangaroos and today I thought to try for some snaps, unfortunately only 5 'roos were in evidence , the others were possibly there but lying low. As you will see, although the paddock has a covering of wheat stubble which is somewhere less than knee high, the 'roos, the largest of which would be about 5 feet high at full stretch, can lie on their sides and virtually disappear.
    Anyway, it was a good walk and I enjoyed their antics and wanted to share with you all.
    Regards
    John

Re: Company on my walk

Great pictures John. We don't have critters like that up here, but it's not uncommon for me to see white tail deer during my walks. Your weather also looks a bit different this time of year. Right now we have recieved about 4" of fresh snow in the last couple of hours and so you wouldn't have any trouble tracking them roos if you were up here.............LOL
    Soggy
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I enjoy seeing other peoples part of their world. Here in Texas where I live there isn't much to write home about. I also walk everyday with my little dog . I should say she walks me. About the only thing we come across is a cat running across the street once in a while. So John I really enjoyed your pictures. Ginny

Comment

Company on my walk

It's good to hear about walking as exercise. I try and do an hour's walk each day and always enjoy it, whether alone or with my wife. In prior years, my preference was to ride my bike, rather than walk. Big mistake.

After riding my bike for a few years, I noticed that my feet hurt after walking a half hour. This worried me, so I gave up cycling and concentrated on walking as exercise. Now I can report that my feet are better, and I intend to keep them that way.

A friend reports that older people need load-bearing exercise to keep their bones strong and their bodies healthy. Walking is the best way to achieve that. Another friend noted that walking is the recommended exercise for those with heart problems.

With all these pieces of information to encourage me (even if I don't have heart problems), I have the additional advantage of watching the world go by on my daily walk. I don't see any 'Roos on my journey, but I observe wonderful neighborhoods, little children, older people and the small downtown of Whitby, Ontario. Let's hear it for walking.
        Rodster
        https://rodster.ca

Comment

Great pictures, and the walk is a good idea. It refreshes the mind and strengthens the body. Enjoy your daily stroll.

Comment

haha that came as a surprise in chicago they carry guns and are gang members

Comment

Thanks, John. Those pics are really fun, to see what can be encountered in other parts of our beautiful world while on a simple walk.

Arthur
              Arthur

Comment

Looks like a great place to take a walk! Love seeing those 'roos! Very cool critters.

As for weight loss, I lost 12 lbs in 5 months just by cutting my fat intake. I was chained to the computer during that time so there was no increase in physical activity. Fat has over twice the calories of other foods per gram. The bottom line for weight loss is to either burn more calories, consume less calories, or both. I reduced the fat in my diet for health reasons other than weight control, but the side benefit was losing some excess lbs. Good luck!
                Terry

Comment

Hey John! What good is a roo for except to look at? Do you guys hunt them down there or are they protected. We're seeing news videos up here of the darn things taking over golf courses!

Comment

Great photos...thanks for sharing!
                    Keep On Carvin'
                    Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

I am totally urban, however, we do ocassionally see a flock of wild turkeys here. The tom will challenge compact cars for use of the street. No Roos- that would be neat. Thanks for the pics.
                      Buffalo Bif
                      www.bflobif.com

Comment

Thanks for the pics.
                        I enjoyed seeing the roos.
                        Carl

Comment

Thanks for sharing your photo. That made my day

Comment

Pretty neat. Thanks for taking time to share the pics. Walking is something we should all do.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                              Hey John! What good is a roo for except to look at? Do you guys hunt them down there or are they protected. We're seeing news videos up here of the darn things taking over golf courses!
                              Eddy, one thing 'roos are used for: meat in specialty diets for dogs with certain allergies. It seems that since (except dogs from Down Under) dogs have not historically been exposed to eating kangaroo, they never developed allergies to the meat. At least this is what I was told by a dog owner who had his boxer on a diet with kangaroo in it on advice from the vet school at Louisiana State University.

Arthur
                              Arthur

Comment

Working...
                              X