cutting leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting leather

Would cutting a piece of leather on my band saw do harm to the blade? We have a leather shop here and I purchased a large piece of scrap for 6 bucks to make my own strop. So I cut it with the band saw to the size I wanted and then glued it to a board. Works good too. So would you cut leather on a band saw? Ginny

Re: cutting leather

Shouldn't be aproblem, Ginny!

Al

Comment

Only if you placed it on a piece of unsawn wood to keep it from being pulled down through the blade slot. Actually, I just wouldn't do it as that's not what the bandsaw was meant for. Whats wrong with just cutting it with a utility knife. A sharp blade should go right through it.

Comment

I wouldn't use the band saw because of what Lynn said. Could bind in the slot and snap the blade, or stall it. I cut leather all the time with a utility knife. I also use a metal ruler to guide the knife straight. I think a utility knife would give a cleaner cut.

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I know. Ginny

Comment

Ginny, I've always cut my leather with a utility knife or exacto knife and a ruler or yard stick.
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Believe it or not, I cut a piece of leather with a utility knife just 5 min. ago...

I'm am in the process of doing a leather case for my knives and I use 7 oz leather.

But I wouldn't use a saw, for the same reasons mentioned before.

Make sure you use a metal ruler to guide the knife.

Gilles

Comment

Ginny, sounds like it was great idea and didn't damage your saw, so what the heck, it worked for you!
                I thought about cutting up wild game on the band saw my family shoots and kills, but my husband reminded me that that would be one heck of a mess! LOL
                My ETSY shop:
                https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I'm gonna adjust my advice...the stuff I cut on the bndsaw was almost 1/4" thick and very stiff. Made several strops out of the stuff. If it was this flexable leather, I would NOT use a bandsaw for the exact reason Lynn mentioned.

Al

Comment

Even a real meat-cutter's band saw is a mess to clean up.

Not that I'd consider using soft leather, ever again, for a strop, sure. Staple the leather to a junk board and have at it. It would really benefit from the added support to prevent tear-out along the underside of the edges.
                    Instead of buying custom-cut grocery-list pads of paper, I buy pads of 8 1/2 x 11 and run them through the bandsaw. No biggie. Used to be wood, anyway.
                    Brian T

Comment

Frozen meat cuts pretty good.
                      Greg

Comment

I just use a utility knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon of the Dell View Post
                          G
                          I thought about cutting up wild game on the band saw my family shoots and kills, but my husband reminded me that that would be one heck of a mess! LOL
                          Go ahead, it isn't that hard to clean up. Usually a sawzall works better on game.

Comment

Quite frankly I abuse my bandsaw by cutting a lot of things that are "not on the approved list" of wood only. So far I have not broken a blade by any means other than kinking it.

Comment

Just cutting a hair in half here... maybe...

But I always heard that cutting paper with a knife was not good. In fact, we can hone a knife with paper.

Now, knowing that straight blade razors owners use leather to hone (they use another word...) their razors, I have the feeling that it can dull a knife when you use it to cut leather.

So what does it do to the bandsaw blade?

Anyway, I would be more concerned about the leather getting stuck in the bandsaw if it was too thin, but thick leather would not be a problem, except maybe dull the saw???

Gilles

Comment

Working...
                              X