Woodcarving and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodcarving and me

Sorry I have not been here often. I was off and on last year, serious accident....that put me in my place. and me getting lost in woodcarving lost my direction, as too... where am I going? It is an inner war. What kind of woodcarving, where am I going, what do I want to do....the Santa Claus plan started to disappear. Facebook turned into a project, that gave me woodcarver around the world, mastercarvers with skill that left your face on the floor, and one feeling rather worthless. I have learned tons from them....the possible direction was available all one needed was desire to stumble ahead. Three months ago...I was visited, ....I never leave home do to disability and pain issues. A master carver rejected a piece of work, that was long over do, and he never told the person who commissioned the work. That person stood in my door....an eight foot log which was to be covered in leaves, flowers, birds, and insects, and frogs...and winding vines. I said yes to this 400 pound of hardwood which would be laided on the ground to work on...the work would be a weight bearing pole in the living room of a doctor building a new house. Seven men carried it to the studio, .....and my biggest problem...how to turn this with all 130 pounds of my crippled strength. I am almost done, .....500 hours, every day....leaving blood, sweat and tears on the work. I would like about 500 more hours, but they want it now....he walked into the studio remarked it looks done now....I laughed. As I told them it would only take 200 hours in the beginning,,,, what can I say. I would be paid back in more wood.... I can see light at the end of the tunnel....and got to accept the fact it will not be finished as I wanted, next time I will give myself more time. I wished in part.... that I asked for money....as I broke two Foredoms but they were replaced with two more angle grinders and one more die grinder. My wood will delivered after the log is hauled out....some of the best wood that I could never, ever afford.....makes me happy, but my studio....again needs to be moved around, and made for bigger work. Life is funny at times...it just happens. Oh yea....blood, angle grinder ate the glove and top knuckle to a nice hamburger, nasty scar. And a chisel went throw my double material patched knee, I sewed that one up myself. And chisel to the left index which cut the nerve....so much for safety equipment!!! but then perhaps.... it would have cut off the fingers...and such....so perhaps I should be happy everything is still attached. enough rambling....and back to the cave and my log. Next wood will be furniture with carving, not sure as to what...still going through the lost fog of creation of things...and the chaos that goes with it.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Re: Woodcarving and me

I feel your pain as regards the deadline, and you inherited the job already behind the eight ball. In my life as a professional woodworker I've taken the ends of my thumbs off, in pretty much exactly the same way- trying to meet an impossible deadline for an uncooperative client. Always hated balancing the deadline with quality. I'm not the only one who admires your strength, D, hang in there-
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

Comment

Can you show us the work? After that many hours it should be a sight to behold. As far as the client thinking it is done...they don't have your vision ad don't see what you see, to them it is great and if they are happy.....you should be as well. Sorry things haven't been smooth, but maybe things will turn around for you now and I hope so. Welcome back.

Comment

Dileon... After all that, I'm tired.... <GRIN>

Comment

DiLeon, you are like the tree in you signature. The art is with in you. Just enjoy the creations as that spirit gives you the vision for the wood in your care.

Comment

Sorry to learn about your problems Dileon.

It seems we all run into the same problems sometimes... except some are hit harder than some others, some less harder, some for a longer time, some for a shorter time.

I just hope everything gets better for you soon.

Take care,

Gilles C.

Comment

Why is it that we always underestimate how long a piece will take us???? LOL It's our subconscious trying to fool us because deep down, we know we'd hesitate to do it if we were realistic in our ideas of time.....

Glad you survived the ordeal. When you get the load of the best wood you could never afford.... your time and ideas of what to do and how long to spend doing it, are all yours......

Comment

Don't forget you have many fans and friends here in this forum that have would love nothing more than to Cheer You On!

I wish you nothing but peace and strength (and a few extra Santas every now and then wouldn't hurt) in your future.

Comment

u cant keep a good woman down or a artist. every time i see yr posts on fb I think now there goes a hero. We all appreciate and admire you. next time pick a 200 lb log. just joking. If I cant fit it in the palm of my hand its too big. courage honey courage

Comment

Di, You are sacrificing a lot for carving, I'd also ;ole tp se a photo of this project.
                    Herb

Comment

Please post photos. After the story, you have left us all wondering about it. I am sure that it is beautiful. So glad for you that you found a great wood stash...never too much!

Comment

Picture will be coming soon. The only real mistake was taking someone else work that they were going to do, but did not...., the log is a supporting beam, was needed three months ago, so I was working on something that was needed.... yesterday. Plus added that I have never done this kind of work, nor worked with this kind of wood, nor did anything half this size.....ha...ha. I asked the owner ...have you ever seen anything like this? He said,... no I have not. Which is nice, as it can not be compared to other work. The only thing that I questioned was I ready to do this kind of work? Then I said, yes I will do it. I poured myself into it....and one more week plus a few days. I will kiss it good bye. Think I will celebrate....I am exhausted beyond exhausted... Best of it, I learned major,.....and that is what counts. My new wood stash a giant monkeypod root, cuban mahogany no termites, white/black ebony and a few trees of milo plus a few other exotics. I will be good for the next five years or more. Try to remember the picture the next few days.
                        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
                        X