Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving population?

What is your best guess?

How many wood carvers do you think are in the world?
    In your country?
    State/region?
    Town/city?

Subscribers of WCI?

I'm just curious.
    Greg

Re: Carving population?

A lot more than one would think.
    Joe

Comment

In my town... Only one I would say ! :P
      This is definitely my best guess.

Comment

Just a ruff guess but I have over three thousand carvers on my facebook page....they send pictures. They are from everywhere in the world....most third world countries. An honestly from what I have seen.....that does not even touch the surface....as there are so many of them that can not afford a computer or use one. I wonder the same thing....where are they, how many. In most third world countries they do not put a name on it, one reason is political, meaning you could get killed ...for example: if the countries system was against Christian art and you carved Christmas things. Or like China, any carver that produced anything but Mao latest mad plan, would be killed or die in prison. China still is somewhat that way zero religious or political art. In the Middle East carvers hide their works as it can easily get you killed. In third world countries the one who gets the money is the person who owns the gallery or shop. There are islands where there are hundreds of years of generation wood carvers, their work will make anyone throw in the chisel and say I quit because with each generation, more and more skill is handed down....many have their young ones working next to them. If I had to put a number down in the world...over a hundred thousand that are full time wood carvers. But that is a guess.
        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I can't believe that 1/100 shows up here. Maybe 1/1000.
          There's a heap of carvers who either don't know or don't care about this site.
          Many feel no need for any social interaction. They have perfected their carving and finishing techniques. They have no desire to share anything which might dimish what they perceive as a competitive advantage.
          Me? I could care less. I like to burst ballons. I'll share whate3ver I know, particularly with beginners. I have NEVER forgotten that I was a beginner. Some do, yes?
          Brian T

Comment

I think there are more than 10 million worldwide
            in my country it is a dying breed i only know about 10 Professional carvers
            in my town thare is me a carvers newbe
            and an old one nagging man which it refuses me to learn from him

but the trade in chisels and gouges are very high maby more than i think

Comment

Clearly, there must be at least a gazillion out there. And that's not counting those still in the closet!

Comment

When I first came to Mobile, 25 years ago, I could not find any one that carved. Then someone saw a cane I made and ask if I knew so and so, he carved. It was not long and I found a dozen or so carvers in the area. Now and then I still hear of some one new that carves. I met a man last month who has lived here long than I have. He is a really good carver. Just carves for fun. I think there are many carves out there you never hear off. Look at all the WCI new members who live in small towns all over the country and world and that’s just on the WCI. I have also noted that the last year or so there seems to be some younger ones showing up. Some kids but more in their late 20’s and early 30’s are starting up.

Comment

A bunch of wood carvers had a conversation, many are in the bushes....meaning top work that is not shown to the public or anyone for that manner. The reason, ....you could never make the money back that you put in your work, especially the ones that you have spent five years working on. So the work comes from the heart...that insane pursuit of perfection of self. These carvers live in the sticks and are happier then those of us who work with the social net work. No one to tell you what you should be doing, could be doing or otherwise. Might as well carve from desire and joy....to do what one does best.

Comment

Do you think we can get them all to come out of the closet?

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how the WCI membership has increased. But I suspect from the postings that the majority are not members of a local club.

Recently I visited a woodcarving club as a guest. Only a couple of folks had heard of WCI and none were members. They were not interested in social networking, did not have a computer, or were satisfied with the hands on, one-on-one interaction offered by a woodcarving club. This is about what I have found in other clubs, including the one of which I am a member. Even though there are not many woodcarving clubs in each of the U.S. States; their membership pushes the number of woodcarvers into at least hundreds in State, add the hundreds that carve in total anonymity and the numbers swell to thousands.

I suspect that the ratio of known to unknown woodcarvers rises exponentially in the rest of the world. I spent two years in Malawi, Africa. Woodcarving was a cottage industry throughout the country. I never saw a numbered or signed piece and found it difficult to locate the woodcarvers in my area. Most of the carvings were carved, from necessity, in a manner to minimize carving time per piece and maximize output. The methodology was pervasive and product was virtually the same throughout the Country. A few carvings would show up now and then that amazed me in two ways. The fine detail was amazing. Especially, when none of the carvers I located had power, knives/gouges were few and all homemade, sanding was done with rocks, and the carvings were made primarily with rasps. The few rasps they had, never saw one person with more than three, were purchased and were valued more than any of us value our equipment, books, tools and supplies put together.

It was also obvious why few exquisite carvings were available. Sales were to the Azungu (non-Africans); who were looking for a souvenir to take home rather than a piece of art. The carvers did not have the luxury of demanding adequate remuneration for their art. These few pieces sold for no more than a couple of dollars above those turned out for quick sale. I suspect that these pieces were carved by woodcarver artists who could not resist the desire to create a dream. Pieces that few of us would sell.

Ah well, I have digressed. But, when contemplating sheer numbers of woodcarvers, we must first define our subject. To me practioners of woodcarving range from the old men on our courthouse square making pointed sticks to those among us with a whole rack of ribbons. Lot's of range and lot's of numbers.

Comment

I was listening to talk radio out of sheer entertainment ...I am a non political person. They had Savage on, and he was talking about the arts. "Where are the artist,?? ....his final prologue was they are gone, they do not exist anymore, gone with the times and replaced by fashion shows and dreams of the elite. Even art shows do not show art!"" and he rambled on.... this had me to ponder about the times. There were artist, but where are they???....and why are they such a place in society that the normal public remains stupid about them. I had seen such things especially in wood carving. This made me go on the search...where are they? They are everywhere .... like so many times in history they disappear and then become a fad....but is it true like classical music, they are for only the super rich to enjoy in their reach for power? The wood carving in the US although is rich in folk wood carvers ....in a few hundred years they will collected as valuable art....which comes back to Pauls notes. Though out my life.... I was slam with the note, Yea why don't you get a real job!" As anyone who creates art is nothing worth considering. So I did get that so called REAL Job chasing criminals with hand cuffs, now that is a job that is insanity. Society and their bull c...about what one should do with their life...

Comment

Working...
                        X