Kwakuitl Mussle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kwakuitl Mussle

My wife and I were going through some things this weekend and we came across this mussle. When I was working with the Kwakuitl people up in Port Hardy BC, our daughter was born and one of the local carvers made this mussle shell rattle for her, as you can see it has some wear on it, but what a nice gift eh.

Re: Kwakuitl Mussle

That is COOL

Comment

That is really beautiful what a gift she will treasure that for always I bet.
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

I don't know what is inside for the rattle but I assume beach pebbles, I've seen them use them before for potlach rattles.

Comment

That is an impressive piece of work! Very thoughtful item, also.

Here's another bit of "collecting specimen trivia" to add to the mix.

Michigan law (DNR Regulation) prohibits even the possession of, of all things, CLAM SHELLS! Another thing I just don't understand.....as a canoeist and generall outdoor guy, I see that there is definitely no shortage of clams in our lakes and rivers.....the darn things are all over the place. And just who collects these darn things from live clams anyway. Years back, I tried several ways of cooking and eating the freshwater clams, and never did find any way to make them tasty. I suppose in a wilderness survival situuation, one could make a meal out of them, but they kinda taste like your old loafers (for those of you who have tried your old loafers).

Anyway, for my fish displays, now, I carve the clam shells, too. Had to draw up some patterns from some old "purloined" shells I had for reference, wonder if I could get in trouble for those!

Al

Comment

Working...
          X