Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing a carving

Hi
    As many of you know Im badly disabled and some people over in UK have bought stuff from my site but want it signing This is causing me one heck of a problem
    One of the guys on site suggested I change my name to SHAKEY which seemed a good idea
    Can anyone come up with an idea how I can sign as above so each signature looks the same

Many thanks

Mike

Mike, congrats on your first posting. Went to your website and am quite impressed with your turnings and carvings. Very nice!
    A signed piece of art, in my opinion, is just for identification of the artist. Would suggest you get a branding iron with your signiture, initials or logo. You could even get a rubber stamp and ink in the stamp. I don't think you have to physically sign the piece of art. I may be wrong, but these are my thoughts.
    Keep up your good work. Happy carving, Dick M from Tennnessee

Comment

Re: Signing a carving

Thanks Dick
      Ive tried a rubber stamp but it wears off too easily I do like your idea of a branding iron
      Have you any idea where I might get one done?

Mike

Comment

A branding iron is on my wish list.
        here's a link to one:Custom Branding Irons - Welcome to Custom Branding Irons LLC. - Distinctive marking for your craft!
        Greg

Comment

I'll do some research for branding irons. Thanks Greg for jumping in here and giving a website for branding irons. Would appreciate help from others that know of sites.

Comment

rubber stamp under a clear coat improves durability. Test to make sure ink and clear are compatible.
            Buffalo Bif
            www.bflobif.com

Comment

About 15 years ago, when I started doing commissions; I found out that the purchasers wanted the carvings signed and numbered. Recently, I learned that a signature/number put in by hand was considered more desirable. They don't seem to care so much whether it is a name or not; just that it is personalized.

My suggestion is to come up with a simple "mark" that is easy for you to make. Something like an M for your first name. Even put a couple of curls on the bottom of each leg to make it kind of fly. Use that for your signature along with the branding iron that will give them more information.

I number my carvings by taking the last two numerals of the year, 13 for 2013, and then numbering the carvings as I complete them each year. So the first this year is 1301, then 1302...etc. This way I can take a look at one of my carvings and know what year I did the carving. People are fascinated with this when I explain the system and point it out to their friends.

Comment

Here's a link to some electric and non-electric branding irons at Woodcraft:
                Search for Woodworking Supplies at Woodcraft.com

I have seen a few guys make their own, for just a maker's mark, using a large nail and filing a design on the head. They attach it to a wooden handles and then heat with a propane torch.
                'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

if yr nick name is shakey come up with a logo that suggests shaking like a series of lines
                  lllll or maybe dots in a pattern I think if you used like a "S" with the little italics drawn in it could indicate s for shakey and the s is quivering.

Comment

Thanks every last one of you
                    its left me wondering is there anthing you guys don't know or don't know where to find it lol You even know more about the shakes than me......and Ive got em

God Bless

Mike

Comment

Mike, I just signed a little carving with my wood burner. This got me thinking that if you have a wood burner or soldering iron you could make a design in wood by just pressing the hot tip into the wood. You wouldn't have to move the burner...just design a logo that you could make with 3-4 "stabs" in the wood. Just a thought. Happy Carving, Dick

Comment

I think your initials - MR - would make a good logo or brand. Put the letters together (with no space), perhaps italicize to make it "action-filled."

Comment

My hands shake from time to time.... I always have to brace my hand on a solid surface such as a table ....the wrist and palm on the surface and the writing fingers lift to the carving....and I move the carving and not the hand. This forces the hand to move less and even the fingers......it may help if you fingers are a little stable. Often you have to try about 30 different methods to find a way to do something....sometimes more ....but let you know it is never normal....smile....but it works. Also...the leather stores have letters that can be used to punch the wood and then fill the space with stain.
                          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I bought a 10" nail at the hardware store for $0.50. The head is 5/8" diameter. With a Dremel and cut-off wheels, I carved "RV" as my brand in the head of the nail (backwards, you fool!!!). Put a nice wooden tool handle on it and a wire rack for it to sit in. Hotted up with a propane torch, I brand my carvings until the smoke rises.
                            The design joins the letters R and V together. I am really pleased.
                            Mike, if this is something that you might be able to manage, I'd like to try to carve a little steel for you. Gotta be on the road for a couple of weeks but this would be a great rainy day project for July/Aug.
                            My treat, OK?
                            Brian T

Comment

When you write a check you don't use a rubber stamp or a burning brand....you "sign" it or they won't cash it! If you've spent all that time creating something you're proud of the least you can do it to fix you name on it in some way that 10, 15, 50 years from now someone will look and see that your mark is still there and see that the work is yours. Pencil? NO! Pen? Forget about it! Carve or write that moniker on there with a burning pen.

As for numbering your carving I don't see the point. If I numbered my carvings I'd probably be up in the thousands by now and that number would detract from the carvings main identifier.....my name!

Most importantly, an artist or craftsman is judged by the quality of their work and not by the name or number of carvings they might have done.

Comment

Working...
                              X