carving is good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving is good

well the journey continues. You don't want to hear my whole story but lets just say getting older hasn't been kind. No job, no chance of getting one for a variety or reasons. I have my rose bushes and dogs to keep me sorta busy and my wife insists the floor is vacuumed and washed every day. She can spot a crumb on the floor forty feet away. Its almost comical. But increasingly I find myself reaching for some carving everyday. I begin carving when I get up and at night when I cant sleep, I don't trust myself to carve so I strop. And then try and sleep.
    If I didn't have carving I don't know what I would do. And Im not anywhere near a great carver. Never won a contest, never had the courage to enter one. Don't even like putting my little things on fb or on this forum. But it occupies my hands and mind and soul. maybe someday if I continue on I will do that piece de resistance, my signature piece. maybe. If not I will continue to make chips as it seems that's all there is left. Your life makes some interesting turns as you continue on.

Re: carving is good

You are not alone, Rickm. Many of us have reached the stage in life where we have to find small satisfactions to keep from falling into depression. I find that I can't carve all the time or my hands and wrists suffer. You probably have found this site to be very supportive and non-judgemental about carvings. We're in this together!

Comment

pallin so true. I belong to a flamenco forum where its basically dog eat dog. I almost totally refrain from posting there at all. at least here I can say something and not be ate alive. I have started to develop really strong pains in my hands. Its like carve two minute and rest five. I see the day when I wont be able to carve at all. then what.

Comment

enjoy what God has given you today tomorrow give thank for what you did. good times and some bad thats life.a good day is what me make of it ,ps its good to be alive.?

Comment

As long as you are making chips fly, and you feel good doing it, that is all that matters. If you'd like to share some images, I'm sure we'd enjoy them, everyone here likes to see what folks are working on.

Comment

I hear ya Rick, and the story is very familiar. But, like you, I keep on carving! I'll never be great, make any money, or be famous, but carving gets me through the day and takes my mind off the pain and problems. Carve for yourself, for your sanity, no matter the skill level, it helps. Keep on trying and never give up.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Whatever makes you happy just do it.

Comment

Squarebriggs' put into words where most of us should be with this avocation:
                "Carve for yourself, for your sanity, no matter the skill level...". One of the best things about WCI is the acceptance into the group without thought given to the skill level or experience of the carver.

Your goal in woodcarving is your own. I have met carvers who do it simply because they enjoy turning out small pieces quickly. This does not make their objective any less than those of us who's average carving takes hundreds of hours. Most woodcarvers, I have met, accept this without question.

Put examples of your efforts on here, My Frien', you will find encouragement from this group of woodcarvers. If you ask for suggestions, you will receive them. If you simply are willing for the group to see the work that you do; wonderful! After all, it is the enjoyment of carving wood rather than the reason behind it that binds us together.

Above all, continue doing it because it is what you want to do.

Comment

I ORIGINALLY TOOK UP CARVING TO PASS THE TIME AFTER i HAD TO TAKE MEDICAL RETIREMENT AT A FAIRLY YOUNG AGE. i FELT USELESS AND WAS BORED OUT OF MY MIND, GOING FROM A REWARDING CAREER TO SITTING IN A RECLINER ALL DAY WITH MY FEET UP TO PREVENT PAIN AND SWELLING. i NOW CARVE BECAUSE IT MEANS SO MUCH MORE TO ME THAN A TIME FILLER...IT LITERALLY CHANGED MY OUTLOOK ON LIFE. lots OF FOLKS CARVE FOR FUN AND PERSONAL ENRICHMENT, VERY FEW CARE FOR PROFIT...BUT ALL DO IT FOR THE ENJOYMENT AND SATISFACTION OF CREATING SOMETHING FROM NOTHING DUE TO THE EFFORTS OF THEIR WORK. Sorry for the accidental caps, I don't feel like retyping all that. Carve for yourself is wonderful advice, and I agree 100% with that philosophy.

Comment

We are all in this together. Good post Rick. Sometimes we don't realize that others are having problems like us. I'm glad I took up carving many years ago.
                    Carl

Comment

Working...
                    X