insulin for dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulin for dog

where is the best place to get insulin for a dog? My best buddy just got diagnosed. I spent 100 bucks at walgreens for it, and my wife had the required kitten. I tried walmarts website and cant seem to bring up anything. On the ped meds website they want 80.

Re: insulin for dog

u can use human 70/30. u just get the dose from the vet.
    i dont know if u have a cosco there but thats the cheapest place, was $18 a bottle
    the same insulin for people as for dogs.
    the best place to give the shot is the fatty skin between the shoulders. pull it up and shot just under the skin

Comment

thanks for posting I checked online and the price didn't seem too good, ill try calling them tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Rick
        sorry to hear about your pet and I hope you can find the medicine you require at a reasonable price as soon as possible

Mike

Comment

We get our Insulin at Walmart for our dog. The cost is $24.00 a month.
          http://www.tristatecarvers.com

Comment

My kid takes all his Vet prescriptions to Wal-Mart. Beats the Vet price by half to 2/3's at least.

Comment

yeha I found that walmart prices are much better, but now Im finding out that the vet must prescribe the specific med. He actually prescribed the most expensive. so next go around I have to convince him to order a cheaper med, if my doggie can in fact use that. thanks guys

Comment

Quickly fixed at Walmart. Just tell them you want the generic. If you're buying without insurance you have that right. The Vet is always going to prescribe the name brand because that's what his drug companies are pushing, the same as our own physicians. The only difference between humans and animals is that most health insurance for humans give a drastic discount for generics and a huge penalty for name brands.

Comment

thanks eddy

Comment

Your vet should have no problems giving you a written script. One of my dogs has glaucoma and the drops at the vet is $21. I fill the script at sams club and get 3 month at a time for $10. It is the exact same stuff the vet supplied. The vet was amazed at the price, they can't even touch it for that price themselves.

For those giving metacam, you can get the human grade pill form as a generic (Meloxicam) and save tons of money.

Comment

Vets have learned to gouge people just like human med doctors...! I guess they are human lol..............!We had a Llaso Apso that had diabetes, went blind, had to have shots....harder on us that the dog....it killed us to see her wandering around bumping into things...but didn't seem to bother her at all?
                      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Now I have diabetes and they just started me on insulin.....come Lord Jesus! none of this stuff in heaven!
                        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I appreciate all the help guys, right now im thinking the dose is too high, but the vet is closed sunday and Monday, so im watching the dog as close as I can. at least for human stuff you hve insurance, which is next to worthless just not quite. But I am not going to let anything happen to him on my watch. but still he is eight so Im guessing its a matter of time. The vet is somewhat mystified as he got diabetes as this guy has always been like zero body fat and quite the athlete. I wonder if the dog food has anything to do with it.

Comment

Marcy.... I see you live in Michigan but have no idea whether that's in an urban or rural area. We've had our dogs seen by both urban vets here in Florida and rural vets up in Tennessee and in my experience there's a very big difference. The urban vets want to push more expensive drugs, tests and procedures while the rural vets realize that not all of their clients have that kind of money so they compromise on their treatment to give the animal the best treatment that the client can afford, not the best treatment that money can buy.

I've had my vet give me that "I can't buy it for what you're paying for it too" and then I've gone up north and had the same prescription filled by a Tennessee vet for not much more than I'd paid for it at Walgreens. Needless to say we came back and dumped the Florida vet and got another. The new one is better on his treatment recommendations but his prices still suck.

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
                              I appreciate all the help guys, right now im thinking the dose is too high, but the vet is closed sunday and Monday, so im watching the dog as close as I can. at least for human stuff you hve insurance, which is next to worthless just not quite. But I am not going to let anything happen to him on my watch. but still he is eight so Im guessing its a matter of time. The vet is somewhat mystified as he got diabetes as this guy has always been like zero body fat and quite the athlete. I wonder if the dog food has anything to do with it.
                              keep check on his nose [cold] if its not it has a fever and most likely the sugar is to high, or to low . im not sure but i think the blood glcos is like a human 90-120 range.
                              and can be tested the same way w/ a meter. the best place to hit blood is in the ft. or lower legs once u find this number ur pharmacist should be able to tell u how much insulin to give pre weight.. most the time its 1 unit pre lb. pre 10 above, but give the pharmacist a call to make sure..
                              best of luck with ur ol' friend

Comment

Working...
                              X