david esterly the lost carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david esterly the lost carving

i just got his book from the library and haven't gotten to the part yet where he describes how to carve the roses, but he can write as well as he carves. its a pleasure to read someone with the old degree of penmanship. today we rely on technical writing and of course texting and no one today writes with any degree of sophistication or color. I would certainly invite everyone to read it not for the woodcarving perspective but if you enjoy fine writing like I this is wonderful.

Re: david esterly the lost carving

I loved the book, it really has things in the book that you really have ponder about.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

The Lost Carving is a wonderful book. It is beautifully written, reminding me of Victorian eloquence. The history and technical details are fascinating but I especially enjoyed the philosophy behind his approach to carving. I started with a library copy and knew by page ten that I would order my own copy.

I haven't begun his next book but it's on the pile to read this summer.

Jeff

Comment

Sounds great. I just reserved it at our library. I'm going up to the AZ mountains in a week and hope to take it with me.

Comment

as a literary piece its a gem, but he didn't elaborate on how he carved the rose etc, as was suggested in another thread. so im still back to square one.

Comment

Glad you found The Lost Carving, but Esterly's earlier book on Grinling Gibbons has perhaps more information on the technique of foliage carving. There have been other foliage carvers, but few are as well documented as Gibbons. For example, in a museum in Grindelwald, Switzerland is a carving of a bouquet of irises which won a medal at an international exposition - absolutely exquisite!

Comment

Working...
            X