• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rain...16 inch prediction

Stay safe Di!

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
      The only thing that is major protected....smile,... is my shop and my wood and my kitty cats....and that folks,... is what you call a wood carver. The house, we will see??
      You have your priorities the same as most of us would have. The weather channel seldom focusses on Hawaii, but now it does. Hope all goes well.

Joggernot

Comment

They closed down the city, set up the shelters for red cross and the storm fell apart, most places did not get rain....so everything is still in one piece. But thanks to everyone who wrote, it was highly appreciated.
        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

The only good thing I can say is that in my neck of the woods 16" of rain would mean 128" of snow. I'll take the rain.

Comment

We get anywhere from 80 to 400 inches a year.... plants that can not handle the extreme wet, the roots rot. Which means I can not plant your normal garden food. On the plus side you can throw a plant on the ground and it will root right where it is. For someone who hated the rain at one time, ....it is odd, this is where I would grow old at. I had a mango that was cut down not to long ago, laid the logs on the ground which was a major big mistake..., darn thing rooted all along the log, it was a major head ache to get it cut off the ground.

Comment

DiLeon
              You really are a one off do you know that Only you can think of a downed tree wood supply whilst being threatened with a disaster front
              Ive never seen rain that bad and don't particularly want to nor do I want to hear that you and others have suffered as a result of the storms
              So stay safe and well and try not to get too wet or blown away

Mike

Comment

one off,.... do you know that Only you >>>> us artist have an excuse for not being normal, it is part of the job. smile......Di

Comment

What part of Dayton are you from, DiLeon? I'm originally from Miamisburg.

Comment

I live central Dayton, then Kettering, then moved to Beavercreek... then came to Hawaii....talk about culture shock. LOL Di

Comment

Di
                      have you had this rain or not? And what about the winds?
                      Im living in suspense here
                      Mike

Comment

They closed down all government and federal jobs at 3pm, everyone had their gas and disaster kits....set up the red cross shelters.......and the storm got near and disappeared into the air, no rain, no wind nothing.....and of coarse... No wood!! smile. oh well that is life.

Comment

Mike we have another one coming....this one is a hurricane Gil.....this brings new meaning to [I]be careful what you wish for! Darn I just put all my wind chimes back up....

Comment

Di
                            Bugger the wind chimes lass Just make sure you are safe and sound Have you got a cellar? I know you are wrought with pain as I am and on your own that's why I worry about you
                            I cannot get your email addy you sent me to work Mine is on my web site so please sent me a mail so I know you are OK

Mike

Comment

Mike I live on a rock island of mountains....we do not have cellars for that reason. When I work with civil defense on natural disasters to the islands.... tsunami, hurricane, earthquake, volcano...we have little resources for natural disasters. In fact it is just plain sicking....being away in the middle of ocean,....in the middle of the ring of fire. Unlike Katrina, we have a month before getting assistance and some say it will come from China....ha ha who is very interested in the islands. Of coarse they lie and dance around the subject. We really do not have a shelters that can withstand a full force, hurricane, all but Kauai....who was destroyed with Iniki. Hawaii is beautiful, the nature fills the soul, and there is no place like it in the world....but a very dangerous nature. The only place I can hole up...under my work table in the studio made with 4 by 6 s and 4 by 4s ....and it is against a cement wall that is against the mountain. and I can make a triangle for roof off....and pray. Earthquakes happen because of the volcano,...volcanos form under the sea, may blow if that happens tsunami. that means get the heck up the mountain as fast as possible....3 minutes is all I got to grab my disaster kits and head up. Believe me I got real good at this one...sitting at the top of the mountain all by myself. Japans tsunami was 126 feet above sea level which is consider safe zone. But it is not taught to the public.., everyone else is watching their TV and not believing that is not going to happen to them for the 100th time and they can run to the mountains if they see it on TV.... talk about being stupid!!! I am very crippled but I got muscles, which I note most people here do not.....when I fell last year down the mountain... I had to crawl up the mountain, dragging my busted up legs, with the ole military arm crawl two hours ...on my stomach clawing the rocks and eating mud, I was sure I broke my hip....but it was just ribs and my back and I peeled the thigh muscle down to my knee. I figure at this point I have just as much chance of survival as the next person. Because I choose to live and die on the islands, this is one of many negatives of living here year around livable outdoor weather, there is a price. When I lived in Ohio, there was the killer tornado's, and weather that would go above 100, then drop past zero, snow storms that killed people as much as any other. Tornado, drop from the sky no warning, ....15 dead and 60 wounded....in a matter of seconds. An I knew two people who where fried from lightning.... and others stuck in blizzard snow storms including myself in survival mode that was pure hell. I do not believe there is a safe environment..., being prepared is ones only chance. One thing I am deeply grateful for, it is my heavy 25 plus years in the martial arts, it taught me how to do things when it looks like your going to kick over....I would be dead by now if it was not for things I learned in those karate studios. I

Comment

Di
                                thanks for explaining the natural environment Im just asking you to be careful and take care of yourself and please let me know that you are safe OK
                                We English are like that Well I am anyhow
                                And don't stop climbing to pick up a piece of wood LOL

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X