Getting ready for gardening yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for gardening yet?

I've been sprouting a couple hundred garlic cloves to transplant into pots for later planting in the garden, as well as some thai chillies. With the diet of clean wild meat we live off of, I like to start my own seedlings, that way I know they are as organic as I can make them, we kind of got into a groove of organic living for our own health reasons but I still do love a thick spam sandwich now and then.

I plan on starting my tomatoes and other seedlings soon, well, as soon as I get my seed.

Anyone else started getting ready for the gardening season?

Re: Getting ready for gardening yet?

Gilly, I have not started gardening yet; but, am getting ready for the warm season.

Comment

I WAS in a gardening mood until someone up north of me left the door open and our temps dropped to below 0 today.

I have a little greenhouse I like to pack full by the end of March.

I have six beds (4x10) of strawberries, one (4x10) bed of asparagus and a few plants of rhubarb. My raspberries need some dire attention, they are getting quite pathetic and sparse in the spot I have them.

I too can up my garden. I've been known to can over 600 jars a season. I dehydrate alot of the produce too. Soup mixes in jars mostly.

Comment

well we are going to try to plant a rock garden like Hi ho silver, last time we did Half of the rocks died , but that was only part of it. The one's that did not die my wife made pets out of them . now we have a house full of pet rocks. they are messy lil critters. only a few are house trained.

Just old Jim

Comment

Paul, are you a bee keeper? that's something I have always been interested in. We have lot's of bee keepers up in my area, most of which are used to pollinate the alfalfa fields.

Comment

Yep, I'm a beekeeper.....at least as long as the Africanized Bees do not get this far north. It is something I thoroughly enjoy, almost as much as woodcarving; but, I am not going to the effort necessary to keep the easily agitated Africanized Bees.

It used to be a lot easier, before the mites and all of the treatments and care necessary today. But, it is still a hobby well worth the effort. If you put in a hive or two near your garden, you will be amazed at the increase in production of fruits and vegetables.

Paul

Comment

Are you kidding us Gilly?? Gardening in Canada ?
              We don't think about this until May 24? :-) :-)
              I know you have a nice Greenhouse and can start early ,
              when I came to Canada from Europe I was this anxious too but I soon learned my lessons always the hard way .Now my Garlick goes into the ground in November or I put it into the freezer for a while and plant it when it is warm, works perfect.
              I am still carving outside with my woollies on and dream of gardening.
              Alice
              www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
              www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
              www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

75 degree weather make one think of gardening, but then winter isn't gone yet and in SEK, there could be a major snow strom in April or May. Been known to happen.
                If no Rain in the next few months, no garden. SEK and NEO needs mositure Badly.

Comment

Are you kidding I just got in from shovelling the three foot snow bank the snow plow just put at the end of my driveway. Gardening here in Canada is not going to happen for a long time yet. In Ontario we get 8 months of winter and four months of bad ski-dooing.LOL
                  Colin
                  Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                  Jackson, MS

Comment

All I do at this time of year is start my seedlings and dream about working in the heat. When my seedlings get to 6-8" I move them to a cooler spot, in the house, to slow them down if they get going too quickly. By the time may long weekend rolls around I have a 3 1/2 month start on the slower growing plants. But in all honesty, the jump I get isn't really worth all the effort I put in in late Feb, early march. But I have fun doing it and that makes up for it. As I write this, it is minus 30 celsius with a wind chill of minus 48......what the heck am I thinking????????

Comment

I'm ready........but Mother Nature says...No No!!!

Jax
                      WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Yesterday, right after lunch, I was actually sweating as I worked my bee hives, wanted to get out of that bee suit. Then I glanced up to see a big cloud over me. The mountains keep us from seeing to the west from our place, the thermometer said 73 degrees, then it started to hail, followed by a real heavy rain, for about 10 minutes. The rain stopped, the sky cleared and the temperature started to drop. It dropped to 50 degrees in less than an hour and by 8pm it was 33 degrees, 31 degrees by 9pm and I see this morning that it went to 18 degrees. Thoughts of spring are gone!!

Comment

The thing I like most about digital photography is the instant gratification.
                          These photos were taken a few minutes ago from my carving porch. Compare these with the one posted in this thread from a couple of days ago.

Comment

You gotta be more careful with that white paint! You got it all over the place!!Cowboy
                            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

"NO moisture, no garden"
                              Funny how that works.

Comment

Working...
                              X