poll for injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poll for injuries

I think a poll could be helpful as far as learning how others might have gotten hurt. the problem is I don't know that a lot of people who chime in because of embarrassemtn whatever.

we don't need the whold blow by blow but a synopsis of the accident, treatment and was the treatment effective?

Im thinking there should be some kind of mention of what tool where you using, knife, gouge, foredom, die grinder, bandsaw, chainsaw.

If people don't jump on this I understand but I think it could be a good learning tool for folks to see how others met a bad situation.

Re: poll for injuries

I do mostly mallet and gouge type of carving.
    The single most dangerous time for me is taking tools out of the rolls and putting tools away. I am certain to get cut/knicked at the end of the day, IF, I take my simple $5.99 carving gloves off.
    What I have had to teach myself, as clumsy and awkward as it may be, is to put the tools away _before_ the gloves come off.
    I have not got cut in 10 years. Three times in the last three weeks. Why? I think because my gloves were off.
    Brian T

Comment

With my fixed blade Flexcut whittling knives, my predominant target is the left index finger. Two significant instances in the last year when I wasn't wearing a glove.

So 1) never touch a knife without wearing your glove

I have had a few stab wounds in the last year in odd ball places like left thigh and left forearm. I am embarrassed to admit it, but a wee dram was partaken of beforehand in these cases and in one of the cases above. I have learned my lesson, I hope.

2) If you feel like a drink, pack up your tools and put them away for the day BEFORE that first nip. Better yet, if you drink, don't whittle. If you whittle, don't drink.
      HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Except for the very minor nick on rare occasions, my only carving related injury was due to carelessness using a band saw to rough out a small piece. That didn't require stitches, but it was a real wakeup call.

A saw mishap can happen in the blink of an eye, and I think it's more likely to happen (at least to me) with a band saw than a table saw.

The table saw makes enough noise that it reminds me of its power, whereas the band saw is quieter and requires a closer proximity of fingers at times...not the time and place for daydreaming or distractions. It will eat you up in a heartbeat!

Arthur
        Arthur

Comment

I stuck a 3mm veiner into my thigh when carving the scales on a snake on a hiking stick. Went in about 1 " when it slipped from the stick. My leather apron was sitting on the back of my chair because I had "finished" carving for the day. Of course then I noticed something that needed fixed and sat down to fix it without putting back on the apron.

I got lucky and it missed all the important parts in my leg, but boy I sure did bleed for awhile. I did not get stitches and now have a pretty good reminder on my thigh to wear my safety gear.

Steve

Comment

The posts above show the danger points. The only nicks (nicks, nothing serious) that I have received were before and after a carving session. Basicly putting away is my bug-a-boo.

Comment

I have 2 danger spots...my left index finger and my carving thumb. Stabbed myself several times with palm gouges...been stitched once or twice...carving gloves don't protect you from stab wounds. I also cut my carving thumb a lot...usually when I'm too lazy to use a thumb guard...although just yesterday I sliced into my carving thumb when the blade cut right through the safety tape I normally use and right into my thumb. ****, my blades are sharp!
              Keep On Carvin'
              Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

You know how you are just looking at what you are working on and you have cleaned up and put everything away. While holding the carving you see something that needs fixing right away before you forget. So you reach for you knife and guess what you didn't bother to put on your glove. I did just that a year ago. Cut the whole end of my middle finger clear across the tip just under the nail. After that experience I reach for my glove first. That finger is never going to be the same. Nerve damage. So with that said, always reach for your glove first. Ginny

Comment

my story and I have mentioned this here before was that I was tooling around with a number 3 gouge about 25 sweep and the wood broke on a piece, no glove. cut the inner pad of the index finger, and as a result the tendon. I had four surgeries and the tendon could not be re-attached in the correct place so now I have very limited function in that finger. which sucks because I play guitar and sorta need that finger. I try and make a practice of not only a glove but chain mail. I hve ruined a few edges on the chain but they can be re sharpened. by the way four surgeries plus recovery and therapy is no fun and is not cheap.

Comment

Dave,
                    What are the odds that your story matches one in a newspaper article from 1895 and also a skit on SNL in 2004?. Wow some coincidence.
                    Bill K.
                    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

huh...imagine them copying my story.....
                      https://www.facebook.com/baggerleather/

Comment

the worst things that comes to mind,, beens i made knifes for yrs, was.
                        a ninja sword 19" blade went round the buffing wheel and cut my chin to the bone,,

i was sharpen a 12" bowie and 3" off the stone cut into my palm under my thumb 3/4" deep.in a side slice 3"long. and 3" deep

w/ a carving knife was cutting to my thumb using it as a lever it cut to easy and buried it into my thumb 3/4" deep.

one time i was trying to drive a screw w/ the drill and the phillips bit went into the middle of my palm still going around and come out the top of my hand tieing all the tendons up, had to reverse the drill to get it out.
                        i said where the betadine and 2 band-aids.

another 1 was the chainsaw kicked out of a log jumped on my forearm and cut to the bone. i cleaned it peroxide, betadine cut the rough off and closed it w/ crazy-glue. holding my arm up side down just to glue the skin and not let it run down into the cut

lot of other i call knicks that didnt need stitches.
                        i said wheres my crazy glue and butterflies, betadine to close the big ones up,lol

Comment

I gotta agree with "where's the crazy glue?" Good stuff after you get the bleeding stopped. I am also a big believer in using my mouth to lick/suck up / contain the blood while I try to find the nearest sink without making a mess on the carpet. She Who Must Be Obeyed has decreed that I may not bleed on the carpet unless it is a hospital situation. After that, first aid becomes more important. Direct pressure. when that finally works, superglue. Let dry, then cover with a bandaid.
                          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

I often poke and scratch myself when working in the yard, but rarely when carving. Most of my carving now is relief (with gouges), but I have done quite a lot of whittling. I have never cut myself bad enough to require stitches. My most recent accident was at a carving rendezvous when I poked a 3mm gouge between the 3rd & 4th fingers of my left hand - a very awkward place to put a bandaid.

Comment

Wow.... I could win an award for this one. Lets see ....stabbed my leg twice chisels. One finger on the left hand...stabbed three times, twice through gloves....it no longer has many nerves left. ....same finger got caught in the sand paper angle grinder,...they had to cut the glove off to sew the thing up....they love me in ER. I am the one who sits there and makes jokes and laughs. Foredom when I was learning how to use it, jumped and crawled up my arm....making hamburger meat. I had a monster burr jump and dig into a finger that was a nasty cut. I have had lots of other cuts to hands...but I just plaster on my super glue or bandages that hold the skin together...wrap it good and go back to work. It is when I can not figure out how to put it all back together ....I go to the ER.
                              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
                              X