had it had it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had it had it

well I just got done looking in the basement at roughly five years of carvings and ya know there isn't a one that I would keep. this has got to be the most frustrating hobby going. I have a mastercarver, a foredom upteen gouges and knives and im thinking about chucking the whole bunch. not only tht I don't have a place to work and am constantly trying to avoid my wifes car as its always parked in my workplace. the only consolation is all these carvings might be good to start a fire in the fireplace. maybe ill take up stamp collecting or knitting. that would be a manly thing to do and I wouldn't cut my fingers so much.

Re: had it had it

The more one carves the better one carves.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from a few years ago I sold my entry level Delta lathe after I bought a Powermatic. The guy I sold it to was just starting and I invited him to our Turning club (which he joined). Today he is 10 times better turner than I will ever be and getting better every day. I am not in any danger of being accused of being a decent carver but I have a good time trying just not a lot of talent.

Comment

Do not by any means 'chuck the whole bunch'. Stamp collecting? Think of the paper cuts! And knitting? Those knitting needles can put your eye out...

S~
        Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

We each need to find satisfaction in what we're doing - or try something else. The fact that so many wannabe carvers are joining this site each week indicates that many are still looking for such satisfaction. If we continually compare our results to others we are likely to remain frustrated because there are people with natural talent. For me it's a matter of mostly carving stuff that no one else carves, so there's nothing to compare.

Comment

There have been times when I felt like chunking it all. I can't seem to sell any carvings. I feel like what's the point. I do love giving them away but enough of that. Now if I don't sell anything this year then I will quit. Sorry to jump on your post . I apologies. Ginny

Comment

Go back to some of your first carvings and see if you can redo them to make them better.
              Are your standards way to high?
              We all see the flaws in our work that others[non carvers]won't see.
              Its all fun!
              Terry

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

I didn't like my lack of progress with female faces a few years back, so I went to a week long seminar focussing on that. I felt that it really jump started my carving and helped me improve quicker. I have made it a point to attend classes or training whenever I can. My club tries to do 2 day classes with a famous carver once or twice a year and I try to work it to go to a longer class whenever I can work one in. I am particular fond of any event that Steve Brown puts on. I think you can do anything .....if you want to bad enough! Maybe a seminar would put the fire back in your belly!
                'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think we all get the way you feel. So if you're really fed up, do chuck it all, sell your tools, wood and equipment and clear out the basement, garage and any other place else you've cluttered.......but then if you still have some deep rooted interest & enthusiasm for wood carving..... Start Over with a clean slate! Go and buy just the new tools that you need and not every knife or gouge that's out there. Rethink what kind of carving you want to do and put all you effort into that. If there is a carvers style you like, see if they offer seminars and attend them. But mostly, get mentally prepared for what you want to accomplish in this craft/hobby/art/etc. However, before starting anew, do some self re-evaluating. If you still feel fed up and see no sense in pursuing woodcarving then quit and walk away and find something else you'd enjoy doing.

Comment

I can sort of relate. I looked at a slideshow a fella put on YouTube last night of the recent Dayton Show. So many superb carvings, such talent, such inspiration....and I know I will never be even a tenth of the carver those folks are. It sometimes does make you want to chuck it all...I have been tempted in the past. If you really feel that discouraged, send all your tools to me....just kidding. Pack them up, store them in boxes, and do not carve, or look at carving sites on the web, or look at carving books....and do that for 6 weeks and see how you feel then. If you miss carving, or feel like you want to restart, then do so...if you still could care less...have the sale and take up a new hobby. Thus far, I have always returned to carving..who knows about the future...not I.

Comment

some of you guys that answered are the exact guys I would think never have a qualm.so that kinda surprises me, maybe its in the carving water. I have not been posting so much on here as of late either. It just seems like Im stuck in the garage with a pack of cigs and a starbucks making lots of chips and sawdust and not much else. Its like one step forward two steps back. I carve five things and maybe one seems good. I don't know guys. Its like trying to pet my dog, you might get a pet in but it will cost about five stitches. I certainly need to go back to basics and start over I guess. Im just not a artist. But if it wasn't for carving I really don't know what I would do with myself. Drink a lot I suppose and that isn't a answer for anything besides I already tried that and almost found my grave doing it.

Comment

Rick figure out what you want to carve, animal, human caricature or realistic, stylized, relief, the list goes on. Find what interests you and invest in a class or seminar. I know carvers who sit in their basement and make chips and wonder why they don't improve. Sometimes we need help and you can't always get that from a book or video. Those are nice, but nothing beats one on one with a good instructor. Everyone was a beginner at one time, don't get discouraged. Sometimes we need a push to find our potential.

Randy

Comment

A few years ago I started taking guitar lessons for the first time...at 54 years old.
                          I have continued to take lessons for several years now, and much like my wood carving, I never seem to get to where I want to be in the art/craft.

A short while ago a fellow late-blooming guitar student told me of an expression I have found helpful in the times when I hit a plateau and/or when I felt frustrated with the quality of either my guitar playing or my wood carving:

I am not as good as I want, but neither am I as bad as I think.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
                          If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
                          My $0.02.

Comment

I was just thinking on this as well. Not the guitar part-I have tried-but it reminds me of macromay and all those knots stress me out! But as I looked back at my work one day I thought Dang! Why does it not look like what I see as my finished project?! I was mad for a few days. Then I started to notice a pattern to my madnees (which is different than the method) When I plateau with my craft I get seriously stressed out and start nit picking myself. I have found that the only thing that really helps is to look back at my older pieces. I have come a long way and I don't realize the day by day progression. Then all of a sudden it's like wow! I did that!
                            Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We all have that moment in our select passions where we question. My motto is always the same;
                            One step and then the Next
                            Thats what gets you where your going
                            Best of luck to you and I hope you are having fun!

Comment

"I am not as good as I want, but neither am I as bad as I think."

Great line.
                              Its all fun!
                              Terry

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Working...
                              X