X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickm
    replied
    Re: had it had it

I just posted one today lynn its under xmas bear and there are some scattered around if yu got to my fb page there are several in the photos section of fb

Leave a comment:

• Lynn O. Doughty
    replied

So let's see some of these "worthless" carvings and maybe we can give you an honest opinion as to whether you're making the right decision. It's hard to give constructive advice without seeing the product under discussion.

Leave a comment:

• torpidhummer
    replied

Last month and this month I had eye surgery on both eyes
    my doctor informed me not to do any power carvings for at
    least a couple of months. Being that I enjoy carving birds and
    since I can't power carve birds. I decided to go back to using
    edge tools can't believe how much I forgot, sharpening my tools
    and using them. Bottom line I to had felt like "chucking it", but
    then it all came back to me, starting from scratch as a beginner
    and having fun.
    No matter what craft or hobby one undertakes, frustrations peek around the corner, someone gave me the meaning of frustrations, which is "out of control" from then on I learned where my carving problems were and learned how to get back in control of myself making my carving abilities better.
    Oscar

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

Arthur no dis taken I have learned a long time ago not to take anything on the internet as personal. I appreciate you taking the time to forward your sage advice. I know Im crying in my beer and I have no right to, it could be so much worse.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Rick, when I get to feeling sorry for myself, I look at my 44 year old son, whom I care for 24 hours a day, getting up at all hours of the night. He has muscular dystrophy, and would give anything to be able to feed himself, take care of his toilet needs himself, even turn over in bed at night.

Look around at those people who have problems that put yours in the shade. Sort of puts yours in perspective.

Remember the old adage: "I was sad that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

No disrespect intended.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied

Rick, part of the problem could be the pain meds. They do not make one a happy camper and want to go dancing. Two problem is the pain period, it gives one anxiety about what we used to do and how we used to be. Three you want something soulful....and your are trying to get it out doing hobbies. Feeling great and happy comes from soulful mediation like Go take Tai Chi or something. You want to be great, but that takes hard work and an instructor. Your a great guy but you need to stop beating the crap out of yourself, slow down and enjoy the now. I do not believe this is about carving at all. Because I have been where you are at now....and it sure is not fun nor enjoyable. and p.s. I would love to see ya with a knitting needle now that would give me a good roll on the ground laughing. smile Di

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

yeah maybe I should play the guitar more

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied

I had to get comfortable in my own skin. I knew I needed that goal. Wood carving & watercolor painting takes me away. I like to think that I'm OK but life gave me the night sweats for a long time. I'm alright. But, it took many years just to be able to watch the world go by.

Why don't you go to the junk yard and find a bunch of copper plate/sheet/rod? Got a propane torch and solder? Go solder something.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

I have to be hard on myself because no one else will jk thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Michael Short
    replied

Rick,

A few years back I was the prez of our local woodturners group and we have a monthly show and tell and I noticed that some of the guys did not bring in their items to show. Well I brought in my first bowl that I turned and it is not a good bowl compared to others but it was the best that I could do at the time. I talked to this group and told them that I don't try and compete with the guys in the club that turn better, I do aspire to turn like them and respect all of them. I then went on to tell the group that I use my first bowl as my personal growth and skill gauge and I look at my first bowl compared to where I am now and find much happiness and pride in what I have accomplished. I told the group to aspire and appreciate but be proud of where they are and have the courage and determination to improve your skill from where you are. I found out that the meeting to follow that guys that were embarrassed or shy to show off their current work started bring their items into the club and showing where they are. I suggest that you sit back and reflect where you were and where you are now and I think that you will find some pride in what you have accomplished. I have done the same thing with my carvings. I have the first carving and just show it to a group of beginners at our club where I was two years ago and now where I am this month. There are many AWESOME carvers on here and I aspire to them as well.
    Don't be so hard on yourself and do what some of the others here have stated.. Just carve and relax... It is not a contest...Just enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• Sean R
    replied

I think what Gene said hits home. Most of us get mad when we carve something that just is not what we expected. But maybe we should just count our blessing that we can carve at all. MY first post to you was the more one carves the better one carves. That was one of the first things Don Mertz told me. And it is so very true. Stop trying to be perfect and just enjoy carving. To me the art of carving is not only for the ones who are winning the events or the ones selling rough outs of awesome carvings.
    It is for all of us who want to try and see just what will come out of the piece of wood in front of us.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

yeah gene I have to apologize and I enjoyed yr carvings and tutorials. I had a friend that was a classical guitar player, he played with orchestras and traveled the world playing. He was getting ready to make cd's and getting the courage to move ahead and get paid a lot for his talent. Well he was outside breaking up concrete with a sledgehammer and felt a lot of pain in his hand and subsequently they found out he blew out a whole bunch of tendons in his hands. He had surgery after surgery but those fine motor skills required for really great guitar work was over. I know man things could be worse. He still taught and used to tell his students, I wish I had your hands. We do loose sight of reality some times. thanks gene And your right just to sit and make a pile of chips really isn't the worse thing. take care and be blessed.

Leave a comment:

• gene-messer
    replied

rick ..weather I was good or not ???I would love to be able to pick up a knife again and carve again ... Carving was fun and being great wasn't a issue ...it was just relaxing and great carving ..now it, isn't possible with my hand ...greatness isn't in all of us ??but enjoying the hobby is ....I bet there are a lot of people out there that would love to have your carvings on their shelves ... Trust me ...
    Gene

Leave a comment:

• Buffalo Bif
    replied

I'm not a very good carver, my 'work' lacks detail, I'll never win a contest cuz i don't carve like the judges do.

If only the best birds in the forest sang, it would be a quiet place indeed.

They need us, Rick.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied

and I thank you all for indulging me, you didn't have to but you stepped up. I don't deserve it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X