Where were you on november 22, 1963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where were you on november 22, 1963

This Friday, November 22, 2013, marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Those of us who were alive on that date in 1963 were all affected in one way or another. Where were you when you learned of his death?

Myself, I was stationed at the Treasure Island Naval Training Center in San Francisco Bay half heartedly attempting to pass ET"A" School. I remember all of us being released from classes early and hitch hiking as fast as I could across the Oakland Bay Bridge to Frisco where my wife and I had a 10' x 10' on Leavenworth Street. We spent the evening glued to the small transistor radio, the only source of news we had.

Re: Where were you on november 22, 1963

I was home sick from elementary school, 5th grade,and watched it all on the TV as it unfolded.

Comment

I wasn't even born. I suspect the majority of the forum was.

Comment

I was in my fourth grade classroom when the principal put the broadcast on the intercom.

Comment

I just turned 2 in June of '63...however, one of things my mother saved and I now possess is the Life magazine which ran the article on the death of JFK.

I do remember that on the 25th anniversary in 1988, CNN ran the actual television coverage of the whole event featuring Walter Cronkite. I was on vacation that week and watched for several hours.

Comment

I was in first grade. I remember my teacher crying, most of us were. We all got sent home early.
            I remember that night watching Walter Cronkite on black and white TV next to my folks and sister on the sofa. It's one of the few times I saw my dad sob. We all cried together.
            My ETSY shop:
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

I was in the high school cafeteria/study room. It was announced over the intercom and all of at the table just stopped what we were studying and stared at each other in disbelief. When we got home from school, the family watched the reports on the TV (black & white). The family and neighbors were stunned.
              Joyce2011

Comment

On the ferry between Coronado and San Diego.
                Had to turn around and go back to the base.
                Its all fun!
                Terry

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

In high school General Science class in Asoton, WA.

Comment

I was almost 20 years old (January ) and I worked for Southwestern Bell telephone company. I was a long distant operator. I had a split shift and was to get off just in time to walk down a couple of blocks to see President Kennedy. But things changed in a hurry.. The switchboard lite up like a Christmas tree and people where crying. Someone finally told us that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. I started work that day at 8:30 a.m. and did not get off duty till 10:30 that night. That was one day I will never forget. God Bless America..........Ginny

Comment

Those of you that are interested and have good internet connections, CBS will stream the actual 1963 footage at cbs.com on Friday.

It begins at 1:40 pm ET on Friday. This was the same coverage I saw in 1988 on the 25th Anniversary. It is really spell binding, and I found myself choking up at the reports.

Comment

I was in a Peace Corps training class on Soviet Union activities in developing countries. A staff member interrupted the class with the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot. We were not sure whether this was real or some kind of weird psychological test. Then another instructor walked in and announced that the President had been killed.

No TV was available and several of us wanted to ride our bicycles several miles back to the housing area. But, the Director of the Training Center said, "Classes will continue. Remember a lot of folks refer to us as the Kiddie Corps. We will serve his memory best by carrying on. " He paused for a moment and then simply said, "Ask not................" as he turned and left the room.

We shed tears for the President, but also for the man who had the vision to demand of us "ask what you can do" and then created the vehicle allowing us to fulfill this charge. Over the next two years I would often hear someone say, "Ask not!" when things got rough. We would remember that we asked for this and would carry on.

"Ask not what your Country can do for you. Rather ask what you can do for your Country." I don't know if this is the official motto of the Peace Corps; but I am willing to bet that it is often uttered by Volunteers today who face seemingly insurmountable difficulties.

November 22, 1963 is burned into my memory

Comment

Paul,
                          I have never met anyone that was in the Peace Corps...that is a great story!

I have been to the University of Michigan campus and have seen the spot where JFK delivered that speech. There is a plaque on that spot.

Comment

Sixth grade at recess. Teacher came out sobbing and we were sent to autitorium where we were told. Lots of black and white TV.... all channels were covering it,

Comment

I learned of the shooting at the movies. Went to an afternoon matinee, and it was announced there. Don't remember the movie but the world changed that day.

Bob
                              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                              X