Old PC died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old PC died

My dear old PC died Tuesday and Santa (My Husband) bought me a new one. Wow. this one is something . I thought my old one was great and I hated to loose it but gee wiz this one is even better. Been trying to learn windows 8 but I like windows 7 much better. It is nice to be back on the web. Merry Christmas all, may God Bless you all. Ginny

Re: Old PC died

Same problem, my old one died and I had to get one with windows 8 and then it locked up until we "upgraded to 8.1. My son who works in the computer industry came down this weekend and got it set up again. When these give up I think I will try apple I don't want anything to do with Microsoft again, I am tired of them replacing something that works with something that does not work just so people have to replace a lot of software.

Comment

Enjoy your new computer!

Comment

I have hated every version of windows they have released, at first...then when I got used to it I loved it and hated the next. Hope you master the peculiarities of the new system soon and get up and running. New computers are so much fun, but I sure wish I had the cash I have spent on them over the years...could buy a new truck. And if I had the cash I have spent on trucks, I could buy a house. And if I had the cash I have spent on houses....Merry Cristmas

Comment

I suppose with good reason, the local college upgrades their student computer labs from time to time. As a retired faculty member, I have bought some surplus gear over the years. Bought MS Office, etc so everything hums along. Cost effective, too.
          Brian T

Comment

Congratulations Ginny! I had to beat my Windows 8 into submission but I think I'm there now. Still like 7 better though.
            Terry

Comment

For those of you who have Windows 8 and miss tha old start menu, there is a program called Start8 that comes highly recommended:

Start8 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

There is a free 30 day trial, and the cost is only$5 if you decide that you like it.

Comment

My first computer that ever had was a Windows 8, so I have nothing to compare it to. I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, as it was free for people with Windows 8. I bought the book "Windows 8" by Paul McFedries and prettymuch taught myself to use The computer. I did need help to install JAVA, however. I am no whiz at it, but can do what ai need to do. JUDI

Comment

Hope you get used to 8 quickly and it behaves for you.. After lots of reading and getting opinions from people with 8, I decided to skip windows 8. Seems that the few who have touchscreens liked it nore often than those with regular screens.

We recently bought a new lap top and paid almost $100 more to get one with windows 7 with a free upgrade if I even ever want to upgrade. Decided to stay with the devil we know.

Comment

With the hundreds of thousands of copies of windows 8 out their do you think everyone has a problem?
                    I have been hearing the same noise about windows ever since win3.2 came out.

I supported win98 for 2 years and you think anyone ever showed me a problem with windows? People just don't want to invest the time it takes to learn how to use this stuff.

Comment

Don't give me that crap. People, including me, have spent a lot of time trying to learn Windows 8. Purchased Word separately and can't get it to work at all. No help from Microsoft. Exactly how much time to you think we should spend on computers? They are supposed to make things easier, not giant pains-in-the-butt! It may be easy for you, but for a lot of people it is not! I'd rather spend my time doing other things like CARVING! Bottom line: I loved my Windows XP and do not like Windows 8.
                      Sam
                      Homosassa, FL

Comment

I feel that buying a computer is like buying a new car and at the end of the day the manufacturers of the software are truthfully only after your money I have 3 computers dotted throughout the house as Im in a wheelchair (money bags No they are all second hand) 2 are Apple and have split discs running windows 7 and apple the other is a Dell using windows 7 and apart from buying an anti virus for 3 machines all are working fine fingers crossed
                        Windows 8 I feel is an attempt to grab phone technology and think the future generations will include the phone
                        Im afraid that 10 years from now all our well loved versions will be unavailable to us so we must just keep paying into the manufacturers pocket

Shakey

Comment

Originally posted by carver33 View Post
                          For those of you who have Windows 8 and miss tha old start menu, there is a program called Start8 that comes highly recommended:

Start8 - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

There is a free 30 day trial, and the cost is only$5 if you decide that you like it.
                          Put that on my W8 machine right after I got it. Good product. Tried it for free and then bought it. Worth every penny imo.

As for everyone having a problem, I know it is a lot harder to find someone who isn't having a problem than one who is and that includes our university IT support staff. No plans for the university to upgrade to 8. But as is typical, eventually we will be forced to because of all the proprietary issues of new versions of software and purchase of new computers. Right now I have two computers at home and two at work that run on Windows 7 just fine.
                          Terry

Comment

Just a week ago I got a new computer and went from XP to 8.1. I am not a computer person and the change is a real learning curve. Some of the programs I use will not run with this system, like the version of microsoft office I have, but the free version of open office works, is very similar and it opens documents done in word. Autocad 2006 won't run with 8.1, but Autocad 14 will (that is about the most stupid thing I have run into.) Since my drawings are all in Autocad 2006 THEY won't run in 14, so that's helpful! Lets face it folks, the days of choice are no more you either roll with the punches or get ran over. Now, back to my pencil and paper...

Comment

I have had all of the versions of Windows starting with the first one and now all the way down to 8.1. Each new version has it's quirks and eccentricities that make it a pain to learn. All in all, they all have their strong points and weak ones as well.

I didn't particularly like Win 8.0 when I first got it. Learning to navigate the new START screen with the app buttons I was not fond of at all. I guess it may have been better if I had a touch screen as it would have been more like my android phone.

When they announced 8.1, I read some of the new features and the one that most intrigued me was being able to log in to the desktop instead of the START screen. As soon as it was available, I downloaded and installed it. After a bit of tweaking to get it to the way I liked it I finally came to terms with it and have actually started liking some of the new features too.

As with any new operating system though there are certain "old school" programs that just won't work on it. The thing I found was even though I had neglected to upgrade to the new versions of these programs due to cost, laziness, etc when I finally did so I found that the new versions had some really neat features that I liked.

Good luck on the new computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X