Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

    Wow 1.30 inches of ice and sleet in Mobile. Not snow. Big deal down here. chill factor 10 this am. I may not go to the beach today.

  • #2
    Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

    Same situation in Baton Rouge, LA area. Streets all coated with ice, highways closed, very quiet.
    Arthur

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

      I am not trying to make light of the situation you guys are facing, but welcome to Canada.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

        Canada is great for the summer!! That must be it, to many Canadans came to the Alabama beaches this winter and the cold weather followed :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

          Summer is fun in Canada, huh? By the end of June in McBride, we have hoards of mosquitoes which are the size of vampire bats. But last summer, we had long spells of dry heat that fried most of them.

          The story is that there are very few prison escapes in the summer. What with the bugs, running off to "hide" in the forest can be a near-fatal blood-letting exercise.
          Brian T

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

            It's coming up very soon!
            Feb.08. 10A - 4P: Canmore, AB., Civic Center Plaza
            Winter Carnival Ice Carving Competition
            Not exactly melting swans on a banquet buffet table.
            Google Canmore+Ice Carving and select 'images'.
            Brian T

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

              Our ice sculpting as a part of Winterlude opens This week. They won't be melting this weekend.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                Buffalo NY- my 'Ice sculpting' involves a snow shovel and frozen curse words that dont thaw till spring.

                Who said that??!?

                But seriously- I've lived at this latitude (with attitude) for all my life, it amazes me what one can get used to. I do feel for those of you in the south who are well out of your elements this year.

                Stay warm, shavings make good tinder.....
                Buffalo Bif
                www.bflobif.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                  Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  Summer is fun in Canada, huh? By the end of June in McBride, we have hoards of mosquitoes which are the size of vampire bats. But last summer, we had long spells of dry heat that fried most of them.

                  The story is that there are very few prison escapes in the summer. What with the bugs, running off to "hide" in the forest can be a near-fatal blood-letting exercise.
                  More fun than Mosquitoes, hurricanes, alligator's, 100% humidity, 100 degree temps and a annual rain fall of over 5 feet (60") of rain. Most of which comes in the summer. That's fun on the gulf coast. :-)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                    OK, your summers trump my winters. Maybe 2" fresh snow in the night.
                    20F? Crept up to maybe 30-32F this afternoon.
                    Roads sloppy and dirty spray from previous salt & sandings.
                    I get 6 months of no mud, no bugs and a neighbor kid that shovels when it snows.

                    The local mountain ranges are both east and west of the house so the winter days seem very short. Dec.21.13 solstice, I saw the sun go behind the mountains at 1:44PM.
                    Theoretical sunrise and sunset data is a joke. The days are much longer now, quite welcome.
                    Brian T

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                      Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                      OK, your summers trump my winters. Maybe 2" fresh snow in the night.
                      20F? Crept up to maybe 30-32F this afternoon.
                      Roads sloppy and dirty spray from previous salt & sandings.
                      I get 6 months of no mud, no bugs and a neighbor kid that shovels when it snows.

                      The local mountain ranges are both east and west of the house so the winter days seem very short. Dec.21.13 solstice, I saw the sun go behind the mountains at 1:44PM.
                      Theoretical sunrise and sunset data is a joke. The days are much longer now, quite welcome.
                      We must like it we live in our own areas of stuff. I would move but then I would have to live in new stuff. And I am used to this stuff.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                        You got it absolutely right. There are no faults in no place. When you can optimize your living conditions, for what you enjoy and for what you're willing to endure, summer or winter, that's as good as it gets.

                        The last couple of days, I can imagine that you would appreciate my ice tires with crushed walnut shell traction compound in the rubber!
                        Brian T

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: taking up Ice carving on the gulf coast

                          Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                          You got it absolutely right. There are no faults in no place. When you can optimize your living conditions, for what you enjoy and for what you're willing to endure, summer or winter, that's as good as it gets.

                          The last couple of days, I can imagine that you would appreciate my ice tires with crushed walnut shell traction compound in the rubber!
                          They would have been helpful. Most people down here have no winter equipment as well no idea how to drive on ice and created many of their own problems. Having live for a number of years in the Texas panhandle I knew how do deal with the ice. But it was sheet ice and with out winter ties it was just bad.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X