My other art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My other art

I really love carving but scrimshaw is a close second. It seems to be a dying art - I know quite a few carvers but very few scrimshanders. It is pretty simple - With a sewing needle or other sharp point scratch an image in ivory , apply India ink and wipe off.(faux ivory in my case)
    The wolf image is a necklace for myself and the other is our little Yorkie on a pin for my wife.
    Comments and or criticism is welcome.

Keith

Re: My other art

Nice! What qualifies as faux ivory? Bone?
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry. This faux ivory is polymer resin. Although some ivory is legal it is very restricted especially to cross the border into Canada. I do have some cow bone drying out right now. The bone is a little porous but I also have some special sealer on the way that is supposed to seal the pores.

Keith

Comment

Very nice, Keith. It is not common to see scrimshaw these days but I do have 2 nephews who do it once in a while. They also engrave knives and guns and are very talented in other areas. I'm glad to see you doing this. Have you ever tried vegetable ivory…such as tagua nut? I've seen some really nice work in that and it's fairly easy to come by.

Comment

Keith I really like your necklaces, I have a book on the history of Scrimshaw. As Susieg said Tagua nut is great for the Scrimshaw. You can buy them on Ebay all the time. You can get them whole or sliced.
          Have you ever tried Kolrosing with a special knife, a piece of super smooth wood, a design and some coffee grounds.
          Larry

Comment

Nicely done. ever think of doing knife handles? Saw some folks doing rough rider white bone handled jackknives on ebay...
            Buffalo Bif
            www.bflobif.com

Comment

Those are terrific pieces. I am simple awed at anyone who does that tiny, detailed work. I just don't have the skill or patience to attempt something like them.

Comment

I like it we have a lots of old cow bones around may have to give it a try.
                Herb

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words. SuzieQ and Larry - I just received some tagua nuts & will give them a try. Brian - I have a couple of RR white bone knives that I am going to scrim. Herb - I found that cow bone is slightly porous and the tiny holes have to be sealed or ink remains in unwanted areas & messes up the image. Antler is the same. I have some special sealer coming that is supposed to solve the problem.

Keith

Comment

Quadra: any suggestions for preparing fresh bone? Bison bone (femur, etc) is free for the asking, other side of the village.
                    Brian T

Comment

Nice job! Do you have to seal these with anything?

Comment

Nice work!

As an aside... it'd be interesting to learn everyone else's 'side interests'. I should post some tagua carvings, myself. But that's a whole 'nother thread...

S~
                        Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Robson Valley - Hi Brian. Boil the bone for a couple of hours. If not making soup , add bleach to the water. I split the bone lengthwise to help get rid of the marrow. Scrape to clean. Allow to dry for a couple of weeks. Sand with various grits (100 to 600) Mix acetone & polyurethane ( 50% & 50%) Brush on mixture & sand with 800 grit wet é dry. The particles will mix with the poly & plug the pores. Repeat a few times. When fully dry polish on a soft cloth buffing wheel with white compound. Careful not to overheat. Finally apply a light coat of beeswax & buff. I am still experimenting but this is where I am at for now.
                          Sappy - these are pre-finished polymer resin & I just coat with beeswax before scrimming.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                          X