X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy-ID
    replied
    Re: bath...

Will do, thanks. I should finish the Lemur in a few weeks then I will start on that.

Leave a comment:

• carver6
    replied

Nancy,
    Have a ball!!! I'm not gonna try it. I ain't that good. Maybe in another life. Just be sure to post a picture when you're done.
    Garon

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

Originally posted by carver6
    Lynn,
    That's another good idea for a carving. Old cowboy in the horse tank takin' a bath, an ol' hoss standin' by lookin' thirsty.
    Garon
    Great idea! I'd like to try that one. May I use your idea? Ms Smile

Leave a comment:

• papasar
    replied

Mike,

If that tub is cast iron then a couple of whack with a decent size sledge hammer will break into manageable pieces. Iv'e done it a few times and it is the only way to go when working alone. IMHO
    Bill K.

Leave a comment:

• carver6
    replied

Lynn,
    That's another good idea for a carving. Old cowboy in the horse tank takin' a bath, an ol' hoss standin' by lookin' thirsty.
    Garon

Leave a comment:

• Lynn O. Doughty
    replied

Bath? Whats that? Could this be why not too many people stop by to visit?

Leave a comment:

• jillsy
    replied

At 36, my "old" bones take showers for cleanliness, but hot baths with a glass of wine to escape the kids!

Baby

Leave a comment:

• carver6
    replied

Hey Mike,
    If you're gonna cut up the tub, any chance you could carve somethin' out of the pieces? Just a thought and might be interesting, if nothing else a good story amongst friends.
    Garon

Leave a comment:

• mdallensr
    replied

I didn't tell the best part of my "free-to-a-good-home" bathtub. When we had it taken out, it was installed in a hole in the floor. The workers picked it up, turned it, and put it down through the hole into the basement. No problem, we have a Bilco door to take it out of the basement. Wrong answer. This is a BIG, HEAVY tub and won't fit through the opening. Now, I have to take out the stairs and rig something that looks like an engine puller to pick this thing up and get it out of my basement, hopefully without damaging it. Plan B is to take a sawzall and cut it into small pieces. Plan B is looking more likely all the time. Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yep, those saunas are NOT steam baths. They produce a dry heat up between 110 and 140 degrees (to 160 for die hard Finnlanders). The originals from waaayyyy back were heated by bringing hot rocks into the sauna, just like the American Indians brought the heated rocks into their sweat lodges. Once stoves came INTO the building, the rocks were maintained more out of tradition than necessity. Modern sauna stoves, either gas, wood, or electric usually have a few round river rocks or Lake superior rocks for asthetic rerasons in a bin on top of the stove. It is quite common for bathers to throw water onto the rocks to add humidity to the dry air of the sauna. Most comercial electric stoves advise against sprinkling any water on the rocks, and a lot of manufactured stoves don't evn have room for the rocks any more.

Personally, after cooking for a while, I like to throw a few scoops of water onto the rocks, just to cool them down a bit.......right......that blast of steam really relaxes tired muscles and stiff joints.
    Now, that's my knda bath!

Al

Leave a comment:

• whitecree
    replied

Well, there's the problem right there. You cook the rocks on an open fire for a couple of hours, then pile them in a nice small place, cover the entry and have yourself a dry sauna.

An hour later, the rocks are still bone dry, but you aren't!

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Hey Al, I never could get too excited about steaming hot rocks! lolCowboy

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied

Hey Colin, yur spoda warsh yur face first. where's the little smiley faces.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well, after that last from Susan.....how can ya top that?

I won't even try, but I have found that a good sauna (that's "sow-na" for you folks in California, not "saw-na") serves the relaxation need just fine. Sure glad we moved into a Finnish environment and discovered the thraputic values of a good hot sauna, and it's down in the basement where I can't even hear the phone.

Relaxed? Ya come out WILTED!

Al

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    replied

Now I must confess that I am one that indulges in the fine art of bathing. Nice deep tub fulls of hot steaming water. And as a self-professed expert on the subject I would clearly state want any bather knows - that having a "Bath" has NOTHING to do with the action of getting washed or clean!

The action of taking a bath is directly linked to relaxing, quiet time, and to hiding from the world. No one bothers you while you are 'taking a bath'. Now everyone bothers you any other time ... Haven't you had someone in the house come and tell you that you are needed on the phone just as you are about to take your royal seat on the throne?

I have even had the experience of being fully committed to the throne when the bathroom door opens just a bit and this arm comes around the door edge with this phone being shaken ... "Someone has an emergency and just has to talk with you now !!!"

Emergency ?!? I don't believe there is anything that constitutes a wood carving emergency that warrents interruption of throne time ! The only true emergency in wood carving that I know involved a pressure bandage and a 911 phone call - which I can't do for you from the throne room.

If you are taking a shower and that 'emergency phone call' comes through it's "She'll call you right back!". I will???? I'm suppost to stop my shower and run down the hall dripping through the living room to call you back ??? I know that you don't care if I'm wet, still dirty, and dripping bubbles on the office floor, but I do .....

Now oddly no one ever says that when you are taking a bath. And no one would expect you to stop. Instead it's "Could she give me a call sometime TOMORROW." Bath times are respected by everyone as times not to interrupt someone, don't know why.

Now, having said all of that I am reminded of an incident many years ago when our son was about 16-18 months old. Mike had had a terrible day at work and I had had a terrible day with the rugrat and my studio. So that evening the fight began about who was going to get The Bath. I won ... don't remember how but I am sure it involved lots of quilt and maybe a few tears ...

So, I declare that I am headed for the bath, by myself, and maybe the two of them would see me before midnight, but no promises. So, I run the water nice and deep and settle myself in for a good, private, by myself soaking.

Down the hall I hear this high pitched giggling??? More giggling and a few odd dropping on the floor sounds ... Even more giggles and the bathroom door opens ... There's my son, naked as a blue jay! Well, that's not true he had one a huge grin and one sock.

So he skutts his little bare bottom across the bathroom just belly laughing and proceeds to climb in with Momma ... still wearing his sock...

Now what could I do but laugh along with him and with Mike ... I had been done in but that little laughing rugrat and I had a Great Bath.

Susan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X