beans or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beans or not

with the weather getting colder its good Chile weather so do you use beans or not in your Chile. myself I make a Texas style. no beans. makes the next day a lot quieter and a lot nicer smell (or lack of).

Re: beans or not

If You put a teaspoon of baking of baking soda per pound in the dried beans and bring them to a boil and then drain and rinse them, then add 1/8 teaspoon and cook them it will help a lot with the gas problem. The 1/8 teaspoon causes them to cook faster.

If you like beans use them if you don't like them don't use them make what what you like if anyone other than the management (your wife) complains tell them if they don't like it don't eat it.

Comment

I make a lot of venison chili in the fall and winter months. I use two cans of red and one can of black beans. I use to use dry beans, but the canned beans are just about the same price and much quicker. I have big dogs around at home and at work so the fan is going all the time anyway. Just blame it on the dog.

Comment

Chili don't have beans. That is what I grew up hearing as my mom, from Illinois, preferred beans and dad, from Texas, KNEW chili did not have beans.

I prefer no beans. Not because of gas but because of texture

Comment

I use beans (canned, for same reason as dme) even though I know a Texan wouldn't call it chili.

And neither one is 'Chile'. That is either a country, or the proper spelling of the word y'all most commonly translate as 'child'. Don't know if chili has one L or two.
          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

I prefer veggie beef soup.
            Hazel Strickland
            AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

The Texas red chili shouldn't have beans the chili should be ground beef or venison. With ripe red chilies, cumin, Mexican oregano, red onions, fresh garlic one dark beer, fresh ground black pepper, salt, pinch of corn flour, stew low and slow for at least two hours. The beans should be soaked I like black beans soaked in salty water for at least 12 hours. Then Stew smoked ham hocks for 6 to 8 hours with bay leaves and whole onions and cloves of garlic. Strain the broth off the hocks and combine with the soaked black beans cook on low for 6 hours. Next fill the bowl with the Texas red to about 2/3 full now add 1/2 cup of chopped red onion, next add 1/2 cup of the black beans, Top with shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, place the whole thing under the oven until the cheese is melted. Serve with fresh white corn tortillas or if you have to buy them, cornbread is the last choice.

Comment

Carroll Shelby is more sanguine in his approach: "The beauty of chili to me is that it's really a state of mind," he says. "It's what you want when you make it. You can put anything in there you want, make it hot or mild, any blend of spices you feel like at the time. You make it up to suit your mood."

ICS | International Chili Society
                Greg

Comment

Sometimes there's no tell'n what's in my chili.(venison, squirrel, rabbit, dove, crow, some fish, etc...)
                  A big pot of chili is one of the ways I clean out the freezer and pantry ... I don't think the oysters were that big of a hit with some types but yet they still had a 3rd bowl.
                  Greg

Comment

I prefer my chili like the rest of my state, no beans. That said, I have had chili with beans and it sure beats no chili!

Comment

My chili has to have pork and venison in equal amounts, and pinto beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper freshly ground (preferably Malabar), ground chili peppers, lots of chopped onion and garlic, liquid smoke, Tabasco smoked chipotle sauce, masa.

When my grandkids go back for thirds, I know it has to be good!
                      Arthur

Comment

My wife makes it both ways but I prefer beans.

Comment

I never had chili without beans.....here in the islands....chili is with beans and served over the top of rice, topped with fresh onions and at times shredded cheese. But I read what Don wrote....wow that sounds like heaven, some day I would like to try that one!!!.
                          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I thought I knew that the only question about chili was do you want it with or without beans. Then I moved to southern Arizona and fell in love with Sonoran cooking. I learned that more information was required:

Do you want ..... Chili con carne? Chili con frijoles?, Chili rojo?, Chili verde?, Chili blanco?, then comes the combinations Chili con carne y frijoles? or ......... don't even remember all of the varieties.

Diana makes at least four different versions of chili on a regular basis. We use so many green chili peppers that we buy them by the bushel and freeze them. This adds an additional layer of information required, "Do you want chili tonight?" If affirmative, "Which one?" followed by, "red (dried) or green?"

My answer to the question beans or not is, "yes"!

Comment

Different kinds of beans and lots of bison, the base for my chili. While that may not be anyone's else's style or preference, it is mine. Never seen anyone spit it out.
                              Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X