MORE!!! I want more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORE!!! I want more!

Today was my day to drive some people up to a horse ranch about 60 miles form here. The last time I drove them, I was bored silly for 6 hours while they played with the horsies. I had to stay right there with the bus "just in case". Did I mention how boring this was?

So, today, I packed along a knife or two and a small block of yellow cedar, figuring I'd practice my eyes and noses.

Before everybody went off and left me by myself (sniffle), they laid out a fire, asking me to start it in a couple hours so they could have a weenie roast when they got back. Sure, no problem.

I take a look through the collected wood because as we all know, you never where you're going to find a good piece of wood. And I find a nice, gnarly piece of birch, a branch obviously, as one end made a tight turn, giving the impression of a lazy 'L' shape. It was about 2 inches thick and not quite 3 feet long. Hmmm...

An hour later, I had a credible eagle's head carved out of it, with only the eyes left to do. About then, I got the fire going, then back to carving the eyes, then adding a few feathers back of the head.

The happy horseketeers arrived about then and broke out the munchies, and we all fell too. I set the not quite finished walking stick/cane aside, thinking I would bring it home and finish it, maybe present it to my brother for father's day (he's a chief of the Eagle Clan here)

We pack everything up, drive home, dump everybody off, I park the bus and go to get my stuff and ....

No cane.

Somehow, it either got left behind, or one of my passengers has sticky fingers. Grrr!

But now I find I want to make another walking stick/cane. I never had this inclination before.

It must be some sort of infection I picked up from reading about and looking at all the sticks you guys work on.

Re: MORE!!! I want more!

Bummer Whitecree!!! Sticks carved up like that do attract attention and will grow legs if left unattended. I guess you'll just have to carve another if you can find the right stick. Good luck.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I worked as a guide for bear hunters, and know about how boring it can be waiting while they are on their stand. Did you see the last issue of WCI, it has an eagle head stick. I did the head, but made it smaller. Not a bad pattern.

Comment

Ya Hugh, I enjoyed that one. I like the way they fit the head on too, using the neck feathers as a way of hiding the glue line.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Wasn't anything that fancy, just a head on the end of a stick.

It occurred to me last night after posting that my brother and I cut some alder a month or two ago for smokehouse wood, and we just piled all the branches off to one side. So I took a little drive, and yup! Branches are still there.

Today's assignment to myself: go pick through the pile and find some walking stick material.

Comment

You should be able to find a couple of walking sticks in there.
            We have a lot of Aspen around here so thatsseems to the wood of choice.
            Good luck on you search.
            Bill

Comment

Working...
            X