Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 reasons why..

...to own a Walking Stick.

I thought it would be fun to make a little booklet to have on our sales tables for folks to look at. The booklet will be all sorts of reasons on why a walking stick is a MUST have. Gotta get them to think they need to have one.

I'm posting here, to share with everyone. You can make a booklet too if you wish.

I'm no where near 101 reasons.. thats where you come in if your willing to share thoughts and ideas on WHY a person should have a walking stick.

Just be very detailed on the use of one. For instance:

1. To check the depth of a creek before crossing.

2. To check the depth of snow as your walking through it.

3. To heard an errant pig back into its pen.

4. To help Bessie the milk cow to hurry it up getting to the barn.

5. To flick snakes out of the walking path.

6. To lift the irrate laying hen off her nest to get to the eggs.

7. To give the cranky rooster an attitude adjustment.

8. To swat the wasp nest out of the peeks of the porch.

Think of all sorts of areas.. even in the house where a walking stick would come in handy.

Lets see how many reason we all can come up with.

Just keep it clean.

Re: 101 reasons why..

9. to swat the local charging mean dog !
    10. " " " " " " cat!
    11. " " " " " " neighbor!
    12. " " " " " " gerbel!
    13. " " " " " " parakeet!
    14. " " " " " " kid

and I hope you meant "herd" the pig,not heard the pig lol
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

1. How about to attempt to put a knot on the head of a dog barking and growling at you and you can't see him.
      2. How about that curb or giant crack in the sidewalk you can't see.
      3. Or maybe to find when you are at the bottom or top of the stairway.

I could go on and on about what I use one for everyday and believe me I'm lost without it.
      Ron

Comment

Support for long hill climbs, or long walks.!

Can be used between two hikers to carry backpacks or supplies.

While resting from a hike,carve on it.

Used as a tent pole.

Comment

Fer stirring up....................buffaloe chips
          Stok'n the fire
          pull'n city slickers outta the quick sand
          and if your real tight with god....some really cool mystical stuff
          changing rod into snake
          turn rivers red
          get water from rocks

Comment

To lean your chin on while taking a short break while back packing.

To support your pack when you take it off.

To record your "escapades" on. (woodburn places and dates

For support while crossing a creek on a log.

Added support while descending steep trails.

Used as a "reach pole" to assist another hiker. (creek crossing, steep grade, slipped and fell etc.)

Can be equipped with an integral compass or emergency kit.

Marci, when you get this compiled, please post it......I'm sure there are others of us who can utilize it......great idea!

Al

Comment

#7 is my favorite.

Now lets see you could use a walkingstick to,

clear spiderwebs out of your way,

vault over a stream or ditch

Dylan

Comment

Don't forget back scratcher.
                Itchy Mel

Comment

A token of freindship when given to another.

A symbol of welcome when kept at the entrance of a home.

To guide Santa on his Journey

My favorite
                  Relieve the stress of my ache-ing Knees.

Wheres Ashby when we need him?
                  Ash Gave me a walking stick after one of my knee surgurys with this explination:
                  The top of the cane is the wizard looking to guide you to where you are going and opening the path to removed the shadows which might darken your spirit.
                  The Dragon is the protector and the defender, the friend to guard your back and help when you need him.
                  The last spirit is turned to the left, he is the spirit of the cane, he watches you and guards the dragon .
                  Two friends each to guard the path of the other.

This stick gets daily use and has brought relief and joy into my life.
                  Wood Carving can change your Life, is has mine!
                  Goody

Comment

A well carved walking stick attracts attention and is a good way to get a conversation going. It gives you a chance to promote wood carving and you might make a new friend.
                    Bill K.
                    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

To use as a guard!!!!!!! Against the little bride's club!

Comment

From the list that you have begun it appears that you're looking for the practical reasons for having a walking stick. Personally, I'd have to go along with the last couple of posts' which speak of friendship, conversation, or used to recall a great experience such as a memorable hike.

Speaking for myself (you're not gonna like this for encouraging sales $$) after thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail Georgia to Maine, the Pacific Crest Trail Mexico to Canada... and other hikes, I hate totin' a walking stick. Hey, I also sell a lot of walking sticks so don't get too mad at me!

After spending months and months "on the trail" I've tried using them and even forced myself to use one for an extended period of hiking but I just could never get used to it. My personal hiking style requires that I have my hands completely free to use in "rythemn" with my legs, whether it's swinging around a corner by grabbing a small tree or limb or just swinging them in rythemn with my feet. The bottom line for me is that a walking stick is just extra weight and weight is bad when on a hike of several thousand miles.

I've also met a lot of long distance hiker's that can't walk a foot without their walking stick or in a lot of cases two ski sticks. They use them as an extension of their legs just like I use my hands.

It's a persoal preference and in some cases a walking stick is as essential to a successful hike as is obtaining food & water, especially in the case of the amazing Bill Irwin, a blind man who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail and wrote a book "Blind Courage" to recount the experience. I also have the video of his hike which is quite an accomplishment.
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094...lance&n=283155

Sorry for rambling and adding more than you probably wanted :-)
                        Dave Brock

Comment

Dave, you are absolutely right about the functional use of the walking stick, and it's varied acceptance.

As a "lightweight" hike afficianado, your dislike of the stick is understandable. There are many, like myself, who have spent many days hiking, both with and without a pack, and I personally like having a good stout walking staff. Mine is bicep high, sturdy ironwood with a cast iron tip. I do burn my destinations onto it as I finish each hike. Kinda like a journal of travels. Of absolutely no value to anyone but me. No carved features on this one, it's strictly functional.

I've taken many young Scouts out on extended back packing expeditions and have recommended them using a hiking staff.......some seem to like them and others don't care for them. For those that do, the staff seems to become an extension for their arms. for those that don't, theytend to borrow one if having to wade a swift stream or cross on a narrow log.

I've also used canes, when my knees are bothering me, sometimes on long walks. Canes, are a whole 'nudder matter, but can well be classed with the walking sticks. A little more useful to more people, and sometimes very necessar for wasted knees, hips and ankles.

To this use, I'd add a few more reasons you need a "cane"

To help balance unsteady walkers

To provide added support to damaged knees

To "strut" with!

Al

Comment

Marci, Fun idea! I'm thinkin....I am thinking that you are actually serious about this list as a marketing tool, and will keep track of all the ideas, and post them later. Or should those of us that are interested build a list from the replies? Tom H
                            http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

As a prop to hold the door open.

As a weapon to defend yourself from a burglar.

As a conversation piece to start a conversation with that cute young thing.

As a 'rifle' for your grandkids to play with.

As an emergency bat for a scratch game of baseball.

As an arrow for a really huge bow.

As a distraction when you forget to zip up.

As an emergency remote control for when the batteries die in the little plastic doohickey.

Wrapped in tinsel, it makes a decent Xmas tree.

Practice your javelin hurling skills.

Use it as a 'bite' stick if you have to re-locate your dislocated shoulder.

If you have four, use them as tally pegs on a really large cribbage board.

Get 30 or 40 of them, and play a giant's game of pick up sticks.

Use it as a giant's toothpick.

Ram it into that leak in your canoe. At the same time, it will serve as a mast.

Use to pole down a creek when you lose your paddle. (everybody is familiar with that creek, aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                              X