Disaster before Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster before Christmas

Well, life just sucks some days. We awoke to 12" of water in our basement yesterday morning, my shop/studio afloat, our life in array! Went to bed it was snowing and woke up to this, 128 mm of rain within a few early morning hours. I am just overwhelmed with it all.

This whole damm year sucks: slipped on ice in March and shattered my right arm and wrist (that played hell with my carving for a few months) , my Dad passed away at the end of August and now this! Christmas gifts we bought for the grandchildren ruined, had to re-buy them again, new washer and dryer sunk; router, lathe, Foredom foot control, Razertip burner, all under water. A lifetimes worth of drawings, reference photos and sketches ruined. Ship model original draughts soaked, and worthless.

I've been trying to stay ahead of the rust, by drying out tools and wiping the rust off and apply oil, but the rust is winning. I'm praying that my wood that got soaked will dry out, the majority is safe on a rack, but all my beautiful Butternut was stacked on the floor drying. Wood carving books, several years worth of WCI, drowned, the list goes on!

Please, anyone have any advice or tips to help? I'm in way over my head here.

Bob

PS: Merry Christmas!
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Disaster before Christmas

Boy you sure had a Bad year and my Sympathy and Prayers goes out to you and your Family. Stay Well. Merle

Comment

That is absolutely terrible Bob, I pray that next year goes better for you. I have nightmares of that happening in my basement.

Tom
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Boy O Boy !
        Its darned hard sometimes to see the light at the end of the tunnel..
        but there is much truth to the age old expression, that "time heals all wounds"
        Keep your chin up !
        Denny
        Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Bob ..Iam so sorry this is the kind of year it has been ..when it rains it pours .. I wish that God's peace would be calm on you now and that nothing will happen so you can start a new year of blessings .. I will be praying for you and your family and please be careful ..Gene

Comment

Bob, I've never have experienced the wrath of mother nature that you & your family have just experienced... You I definitively have my empathy, for what that counts. All the expression of well meaning are well intended and I hope you and your family can heal, may God look down and help. . . JoeB

OH-and a Merry Christmas to you all
            . . .JoeB

Comment

wow. Sending wishes for a calmer new year.

Comment

May the sun shine on your back door again, soon.
                HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Hi Bob
                  I know the feeling about water in the basement we had a flooded basement 11 months ago, , lost, lots of stuff, my carving equipment was out side in my carving shed thanks goodness, we had hardwood floors in the basement that had to be replaced, rec furniture ruined, spare bedroom completely gone golf clubs, hot water heater,and list goes, Christmas wrap, Christmas gifts that we bought for needy kid this year, gone. Thank goodness we had excellent insurance coverage,and excellent recovery team . Even with all that there is still a big hole where things of sentimental value cannot be replaced.
                  Hope things go a lot better in 2015
                  Bruce

Comment

My bad year was two years ago....doc said I had stroke,....the husband walked out tired of me having medical problems, mom passed away....I had no money in saving and no money to eat, no more health insurance....I was freaked out to say the least. Found out later I did not have a stroke....another stupid doctor....and things worked out. I just had to screw my head on straight and keep calm so I could plan things out and not have a break down. Things one by one worked themselves out. But it was not easy..... all I can say is sit down, and breath hard....eat right and take care of yourself major and the rest will follow. What looked like a total disaster came to be some of the best things that could have happened later on. I sat down and made long list of things to do and things not to do..... I wrote in a journal to vent and I made plans on a day to day bases because it was too big to look at the whole picture.
                    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

This may sound like strange solace but here goes: several years ago we decided to go RVing full time so I sold off my shop, books, plans, tools, everything because I knew I would never again need them. Now I find myself off the road in a small retirement house where I am once again carving and doing some very limited wood work. In your case your loss was forced on you. In my case it was voluntary. But you know what? Once I gave all that stuff up I found I didn't miss it at all. And the new adventure is finding joy and relaxation and challenge with very limited tools and equipment.

I do empathize with your plight. It was forced on you by nature and I hope you come out of it with renewed hope for the future.

Comment

Oh, Bob, I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. It does seem to come in bunches -- most of which comes when you can least deal with it. I don't have any suggestions on how to deal with any of the issues. Hope you're healing well and that 2015 will be a vast improvement for you, ole friend.
                        Donna_T
                        From Missouri

Comment

That all sounds terrible. I hope you can salvage more than you think possible.
                          This has been a really had year at my house too.
                          Stay warm...I hate cold weather...

Comment

I've had several basement floods over the years. Mostly due to sump pump failure, I've learned to put a backup pump in the sump hole with the float set to go on when the water gets about 3 inches from the top.

To help with the rust get a dehumidifier and run it for long enough to made sure the humidity in the basement is the same as the rest of the house.

Comment

Bob, Like you I have had an awful year. One I would not wish any one to have. I lost my Husband of 49 years in July. Have been declared legally blind and now I have a very hard time . Can't drive , Can't read, and I can't carve any more the way I want too. Not sure what my future holes for me but with the help of friends and neighbors and most of all God maybe I can find a way . God Bless you and I am sorry for your loss. Ginny

Comment

Working...
                              X