X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carver6
    replied
    Re: Newbie Feeling Bluebie

Up until a few years ago, I was constantly taking Tums, Rolaids, etc. Then started having severe chest pains, out into my arms and the whole deal. Dr. didn't seem to be too concerned. I got caught one night with no Tums, or anything for relief and didn't want to drive into town. Remembered as a kid my folks taking a half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water for indigestion. I tried it. Didn't have any further chest pains that night (they were waking me up 2 or 3 times a night) or until later the next day. Figured if it worked once I'd try it again that night. Same results, and no chest pains all that day. Kept taking the baking soda mix for about 2 weeks and have not had a chest pain or and ant-acid (sp?) in years. Dr. was upset because he said it was dangerous to take baking soda and not to do that anymore. He got even more upset when I ask him if he had a payment due on his Mercedes! Sent me a letter not long after that saying I he thought it best if would find myself another Dr. Was more than glad to.
    Garon

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Yep...must be an ex cop disorder...lol, have or had it but started taking Ranitidine and seemed to take care of it, but think Al is right, better get checked out with a doctor THEN if he doesn't do anything or find anything , go to a chiropractorHappy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Nancy, I ain't Kenny, but I got GERDS......gastro-esophogeal reflux disorder (or disease). This is the result of a disorder of a "valve" at the bottom of the esophogus that doesn't work quite right, allowing stomach acid to creep back up the pipes. The result is severe heartburn, and symptoms that mimic a heart attack. There are both pharmaceutical and surgical corrections for the problem, but it is best to have these symptoms properly diagnosed by a competent physician. Then even after having been properly diagnosed, it's important to have your heart regularly monitored, BECAUSE of the similarity of symptoms. GERDS can mask a heart attack. Both produce pain and tightness in the chest and even the spreading pain in the left shoulder, due to the fact that this syndrome irritates the same set of nerves that an actual heart attack does.

If not treated and monitored GERDS can lead to esophogeal cancer......good thing is that it's pretty easily treated.

BUT like I said before, if you are experiencing chest pain, pressure and shortness of breath, don't waste any time getting this checked, preferably by a cardiologist. With modern diagnostic techniques, it only takes a few minutes of your time (once past the waiting room, anyway). They ran an EKG and sonograms on my ticker last December because an irregularity in heart rythm was detected in a pre-op physical regimen. Because of the GERDS masking the cardiac symptoms, the red flags went up, when any atrial fibrilation was noted. Turns out it was a glitch in the original reading, but if it hadn't had been, they would have been able to catch any cardiac problems early.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

Kenny, what is GERD? Hope she is feeling better.

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

Jill,
    After 39 years,she still my little bride!

I may kid about her and her "Dang Club", But I never would have thought I could love her any more than I did the day I saw her coming down the isle
    However, the love just keeps on growing.

Leave a comment:

• jillsy
    replied

Kenny, its so cute how you refer to your wife as "little bride". Ms Smile

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

Nancy, ALA is right. My ittle bride had the same problems as you described and a few more and her's was GERD. Now it acts up a little ever once in a while like us meeting with her sister for the weekend. As you can tell by me posting this, we didn't go but she is better but we have postponed the trip. Staying close to home.

Hard breathing and chest pains isn't anything to take lightly. I haveno Idea your age and I am not about to ask but I would go see a doctor.

We ahve been through many doctors and finially found one that figured out her problem. Most said because of ageing. That isn't what my Ageing bride wanted to hear.
    Have it checked out and a bone popper did help her out with some other problems.

Leave a comment:

• jillsy
    replied

Thanks Irish, come to think of it, I did just get done carving a piece this week too. Must have irritated an already sensitive area. Guess I have to wait this one out...at least until I can get total use of my thumb again! I'll try your recommendations though, maybe it'll help for next time and be less stress on my hands.

Nancy - what the H***? You're talking about pains in the chest and problems breathing?! Have you seen a doctor lately??

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    replied

Jillsy,

You may find that the discomfort will ease greatly as you do more and more carving. It has been my experience that newbies tend to choke up on their grip as they are not yet use to how to hold the knife or how to make their cuts. As you gain more convidence you will begin the relax your hand in gripping the tool.

Also the holding hand tends to be tight. It's just part of learning a new craft. You might try using a small terry cloth towel in your holding hand as a cushion. If you can really feel the carving then your grip is too tight. As for the knife hand stop once in a while and just check how tightly you have the knife grasp.

Any pressure in your hand should be directed to the "push" of the cut not in holding the knife. Easy and gentle in your grip.

I think this comes with practice and experience. After a long session of not carving I can often feel the tension in my hands on the next project ... just need to relax and have fun.

Susan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Nancy, if you are experiencing pain in the chest, pressure in that area and feeling short of breath, GET TO A CARDIOLOGIST NOW!

It may well be nothing more than heartburn, or some other ailment, but those symptoms are those of heart problems, and it's far better to get that diagnosed properly that to have a bunch of doctors telling you it's something else without running the requisite tests. Or comparing your symtoms to someone else's and assuming your physical discomfort is due to the same ailment.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

Lynn: Hmmm, that is interesting . . .but I'm not giving up carving either This thing I have does feel like a heart attack too, pressure in the chest and feeling like I'm not getting enough air. Those some of the symptoms of Costochondritis too. Whatever. I'd just like to live through at least a few more carvings Monkey
    Hmm, an after thought to that line is, if I were you that would only give me about a week!!!!!

Jill: Yup, emotional stress or physical like the changes your body goes through during pregnancy etc.

Leave a comment:

• jillsy
    replied

Why would your doctor ask you to give up carving for inflammation in your sternum???

It'd probably help me if I ever got an actual diagnosis. After MRIs, EKGs, medicines, blah blah blah...they never gave me a definite answer. One MRI did suggest I have "synovitis". Apparently, we have synovial fluid between our joints to keep them lubricated and there's something wrong with mine (I forget, too little or too much) causing the pain. But, I also get it in the shoulders and fingers and nothing detected there.

After researching it all though, I think it's RA. One doc told me, "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.." Medical school did him wonders!

Stress brings it on? No surprise there. I've always been high-strung!

Leave a comment:

• Lynn O. Doughty
    replied

I had the same thing a couple of years ago. Pain in the chest area. Naturally, being that I was turning 60 at the time I thought that it was all over for me...that I'd be lucky to make it till the next day. My doctor checked me out and said that it was an inflamation of the sternum. I ask what could I do about it and he said "Give up carving!" As you can see.....I took his advice!

Leave a comment:

• Nancy-ID
    replied

Originally posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
    my wife had something like that, pain in the breast bone....she went to the chiropractor and that took care of it!
    You know I have thought of that too since my spine is in pretty rough shape too. I first thought it was just pinched nerves or something from my back. ( I am just a mess) I am thinking of giving a chiropractor a try. The Dr.s we have here are usually the rejects from L.A. or P.S. so I don't have much faith in their diagnosis. Thanks, that strengthens my thoughts on going to the chiroparctor.

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

my wife had something like that, pain in the breast bone....she went to the chiropractor and that took care of it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X