Spring cleaning in the winter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring cleaning in the winter!

Can't stand it until spring. The Next few days or however long it takes are clean out and clean up days in what my wife calls The Carving Barn. My shop. For a number of years I have been cleaning up by moving stuff around. Adding a shelf and making neater piles. But not really cleaning out. No more room to do that. Time to Through stuff a way! Every thing I do not need or have 3 of. I have stuff in there I have not used since I built the shop some10 years ago. And all those things I said "I may need that" and did not! When I am done I will have room to
    start again!

Re: Spring cleaning in the winter!

Randy,

When you're done with yours, can you do mine?

Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Randy, that's just all wrong. The correct thing to do is to build a shop addition.
      Brian T

Comment

After trading the '78 Spity for a bunch of power tools, (some heaver than all get out). I've been trying to get the 2-car garage converted to a 1-car (the wife's) and wood work shop, along with a 9' x6' shop on the back of the garage. Put the old Autocad to work, Easier to move on the computer that on the ground . The son is to be out, along with a electrician friend, who going to get more power run into the garage Mike and I'll get stuff moved around so we can get Ma's car into her stall . Once I get thing in the garage, I'm going to post the 8" Powermatic jointer, 10" Foley-Belsaw, 9" bandsaw, and small belt sander. Once I get that equipment sold, I'll be ready to get back to making stuff so that can carve them
        . . .JoeB
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Sorry Tom-H, it's a once a decade effort.

I would add on Robson Valley but if I did it before my wife got a new kichin I would have to add a bed room to the shop. With a hot plate!!

Comment

Originally posted by carvingbarn View Post
            ... And all those things I said "I may need that" and did not! ...
            Oh, you of flagging faith. Just go ahead and pitch those items and see what happens. Never fails.
            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Good luck! I'm in the same boat. One of these days I need to do the same. LOL!
              Terry

Comment

I too Spring Clean a couple times a year but in Winter it seems more appropriate and you get a lot more accomplished and purging is much easier. My having a two car garage to work in does limit space (and doesn't allow for expansion), but you'd be surprised in what you find that you can "live without" once you start going thru your inventory of tools, woods, and various utensils that have sat on shelves, in corners and cabinets for years and never been used. I have a one to two year rule of if you haven't used it, get rid of it. Good-Will is a good depository. Fortunately we have a Habitat For Humanity resale center that welcomes tools and materials that I take stuff to often, or I sell it locally in free classified ads, or list on Craig's List. Too some that would seem like a waste of money when you get rid of "stuff", but it seems futile to keep what you know you'll never use and frankly don't know why the heck you bought it to begin with. Once reorganized you'll find things a little easier to accomplish when working at your bench area(s) as clutter just does not make for a safe work area. But Caution Is Advised: there's always a carving show or Menard's/Lowe's Sale going on where you find new things you just have to have. Let prudence prevail!

Comment

Please let me know if before you toss any carving knives, gouges, or such like. I'm needy!
                  Hazel Strickland
                  AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Originally posted by hstrick46 View Post
                    Please let me know if before you toss any carving knives, gouges, or such like. I'm needy!
                    Yup, listing them here on the forum -- either for sale or to give away -- would seem to be a winning idea!

I admire your ability to cull. It's a lifelong struggle for me.

Comment

thank you so much for the inspiration!

Comment

Been thinking of doing the same thing. Then I come to my senses.

Actually the plan was to do that this weekend but it would require the removal of a lot of stuff and it is raining. Maybe next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X