Uh Oh! Deep snow predicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh! Deep snow predicted

My Frien\'s, here in the Ozarks we do have woolly worms. But, the real predictor of the coming winter is persimmon seeds.

I knew it was going to be an interesting one. We have not had a frost and yet I have been eating persimmons for over a week. Very carefully, picked off the ground, only the very mushy ones.

Yesterday, I decided that it was time to look to the future. I got my pointy carving knife, carving glove, got as much of the slick off the seed as I could....and started cutting.

There it was......a spoon! Deep snow. Lot\'s of shovelling.

Re: Uh Oh! Deep snow predicted

Sounds like you should be eating Cheerios Paul. I am sure glad we don\'t have Persimmons in Washington.

Rest up, Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I was not familiar with persimmon seed weather forecasting. This is what I found
      Cut open a persimmon seed. (Find persimmon fruit in your supermarket. It should be locally-grown to reflect your weather.)
      Look at the shape of the kernel inside.
      • If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow will fall. Spoon = shovel!
      • If it is fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and a mild winter.
      • If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be “cut” by icy, cutting winds.

It’s best to use ripe seeds.

Google is a wonderful thing Quicker than any encyclopedia, we had as kids. . .JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

New one to me too. Always something new to learn here.
        Joe

Comment

Very interesting Paul. Sounds like you will need to fine tune your snow extractor for the coming winter. As for up here, it is a way of life. Thanks for that information of the persimmon seed.
          Carve On,
          Kadiddle

Comment

Working...
          X