Blood, spit and tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood, spit and tears

Thought some of you might enjoy my recent Facebook post.

My Friens blood thinner is a pain. A cut bleeds profusely. I have managed to avoid any serious cuts during woodcarving, but can not avoid nose bleeds.

A few days ago my nose started bleeding and I made a run for the sink. When I finally got the bleeding under control, I retraced my path. Nary a drop of blood on the tile floor. I congratulated myself ─ to Diana. I made it!

A day later, she rained on my parade ─ the one I made to the sink! You almost made it, she advised. Take a look at the Navajo rug.

Uh Oh! Blood on the rug. Now what? At gatherings, woodcarvers know that a wrong cut has been made when the cry of Do not bleed on the carving! is heard. Only one way to get blood from wood. Carve it away I that Diana would not appreciate me trying to carve the blood out of the rug.

Remember Aunt Dreda quilting, she recommended.

Hunnhh? I remembered a lot about tea and biscuits (cookie) from this English lady. Nothing about blood on the rug. But, be safe. I knew Diana was reading email. Yeah, what is she saying?

No luck for me. Not what she is saying right now! What she told us about blood on the cloth when she was quilting, Diana informed me. Spit on it!

Then it came to me. Your own spit (nobody can do it for you) will remove your blood from cloth. Well now! That would sure better than carving away at a wool rug.

I had no faith in this methodology. Took the rug back into the office. No observers! Worked up a good load of spit and let fly. Uh Oh, missed. Got closer, aimed carefully, remebered my competitive shooting days ─ sure wish I had a front sight.

Hooray! Accuracy! ─ OK no missing at two inches, but drooling helps. I let it soak in a bit, got a clean cloth and rubbed like hell.

D**ned if it did not work!

Wow, wonder who first thought of spitting on blood? It took a lot of spit. Since spit would works and it takes a lot of it, what about other bodily fluids?

I asked Diana if there might be an alternative to spit. Her immediate response, You are not peeing on my rug! told me the question would go unanswered and that we have been married a long time!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 01-31-2016, 08:30 AM.

Re: Blood, spit and tears

Thanks for the tip Paul, I have never heard of that trick before. Thumbs Up. . . JoeB
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hydrogen Peroxide works very well, and you don\'t have to clean up any spit residue. Just blot as it foams and keep adding and blotting. When there is no more foaming the blood is all gone.

Comment

Also good to know. . . JoeB
        . . .JoeB

Comment

By golly, the things you can learn here!

Comment

My wife is a little skeevy at that news. Cannot wait to see how she reacts when I actually try it
            Buffalo Bif
            www.bflobif.com

Comment

Paul, you mean to tell me that you couldn\'t get that drop to land in the red area of the rug...shame on you, hahahaha. Glad it came out. She might make you lay plastic all over the house! Be careful and carve on my friend.
              www. woodcarvingsbyeric.com

Comment

Thanks for the post, I learned 2 new things this morning.

Jesse

Comment

Thanks Paul. That\'s a great idea, that my wife likes too. But as far a Eric\'s idea of a plastic drop goes - NIX that at my house. It would soon look like a crime scene, with the only thing missing - the crime scene tape...

Tom H
                  http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

you are right- I did enjoy that I would love to offer some things I know on the subject - if I may? Since I figure you are kind enough to say \"of course\" I will go ahead.
                    SPit yes- it\'s awesome. I am an odd carver. I don\'t want to say inexperienced because I am not - but have yet to figure out how to leave enough wood that if I have to take some off one side ( because of me many war wounds) I can then take it equally off the other side without my Goddess looking like Quasimodo in the end. SO. At any given time, you could walk out into my \"shop\" and see me with a wood carving hanging out my mouth. Yep. I suck on them. It raises the grain a might, but not enough to fret over and it gets rid of the blood soaked piece of art. Then I can just smile after it is sanded and sealed and sold and the new owner says - \"Wow - this Oak has a beautiful aged color to it\" Yeah - only one like it

Also - my passion - is herbs and herbology. I am an herbalist and my favorite is Yarrow - Achillea millefolium. It is also called wound wort or soldiers wound wort. Named after Achilles who was noted carrying it into battle because of it\'s miraculous ability to staunch blood. I plant it out side my work space and soon as I cut my self I reach for her. She can stop the bleeding in SECONDS. I grab one of her fuzzy leaves - grind it between my fingers and shmear it on there. AMAZING. I also wrap it in PLantain leaves instead of bandaids and then comfrey but I can digress on that glorious subject all day.
                    Instead I will tell you about nosebleeds - my youngest son has always got them - so now I keep pre mashed yarrow balls ( just rolled yarrow leaves ) in a small dish in my freezer. When he gets a bloody nose he goes to the freezer and gets one. Freezing it breaks it down and the juice is immediate. The cold feels good on the nose and helps staunch the blood while the Yarrow gets to work. This method works way better than when I used to just shove leaves in his nose. ( ha ) he will have stories to tell his kids some day! \"You think you got it bad?! My mom used to...\"

I keep ice cube trays filled with my concoctions for when I cut or burn myself- it keeps them on hand all year. I decided that one winter looking out at the snow where my Comfrey would be in a few months and thinking man! I wish I could preserve that! So, there you have it. I digressed all over this thread. Thanks for the great story Paul!

Comment

Working...
                    X