Tree bark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree bark question

Last Christmas, I decided to make an Adirondack Christmas tree theme. Almost everything on the tree was homemade. One ornament I particularly liked doing, I also found to be very frustrating. Getting the idea from a Country Woman magazine, I took a tree branch and cut it into 2.5" disks with my bandsaw. I let them dry and painted a scene on the inside. Then, I drilled a hole and hung them up with gingham ribbon. I really liked the natural look of them.

The problem? When the bark dried, some of it came off. If it didnt snap off, it still separated itself from the disk. Do you know of anyway to keep this from happening?

Someone suggested I cut the disk on an angle, but when I visualize doing that, it seems like I'd only have bark on the top and bottom, and I'd really like to have the bark totally encircle the complete disk. Does anyone who works with bark have any suggestions? I'd love to make some more next year.

ps I did the tree this way to keep my 3 year old from breaking or hurting herself on any glass ornaments. Since everything was homemade (tree bark, wood, fabric, cinnamon hearts, gingerbread, popcorn, etc.) I didnt have to worry about her hurting herself or breaking anything. And she had a great time everyday constantly rearranging all the ornaments on the parts she could reach. Plus, it turned out to be the nicest tree I ever had! Wish I had known this years ago, would have saved me alot of money on ornaments!

Re: Tree bark question

Hi Jill,
    That's a great idea for a Christmas tree. I might have to try it this year myself. As far as bark You might experiment with different kinds of trees. I did't notice what kind of tree branch you used but I would bet there are some that don't seperate from their bark. Cut some samples and let them sit awhile and see what you get.

Comment

Re: Tree bark question

Trees and limbs that are cut during the growing season will almost always loose their bark. Try cutting them in the late fall or early winter, before the sap starts to rise again. Winter cut wood will usually retain it's bark fairly well.

Al

Comment

Working...
      X